Is "pure drop" B.S.?

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
SteveShaw
antispam: No
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

alurker wrote:
SteveShaw wrote:
alurker wrote: I wasn't attempting to lay claim to all ornamentation for ITM.
I know. I don't know why you picked me up on this. We appear to be in agreement.
Sorry Steve. I mis-read the intent in your post.
No sweat, mate! :party:
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

StevieJ wrote:
talasiga wrote:ITM guitarists mostly strum chords with the effect that the modal tension of the pieces is diluted.
I'd agree with you that they often screw things up, but I'd say in the opposite way. Quite a few guitarists that I come across actually introduce a good deal of tension. Nothing wrong with tension in music but I'm referring to a muddying of the limpid waters of modal melodies with complex, jazzy chords that in many cases just sound harsh, out of place and silly, and not clever as they presumably imagine.
You point about chord generated tension appears non sequitur to my point about modal (melody generated) tension.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
Azalin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Azalin »

fiddleronvermouth wrote:
Azalin wrote:Anyway, after playing music for about 7 years now, I think I'm at a point where I totally understand that I'm totally ignorant. :-)
I thought this day would never come! :lol:
Ah! Well, I beat you to it, I guess. :devil:
StevieJ
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

talasiga wrote:Your point about chord generated tension appears non sequitur to my point about modal (melody generated) tension.
Really? You said guitarists dilute modal tension, and I said that in my experience they sometimes create tension where the mode has none. I thought it was an interesting contrast.
StevieJ
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

Azalin wrote:
fiddleronvermouth wrote:
Azalin wrote:Anyway, after playing music for about 7 years now, I think I'm at a point where I totally understand that I'm totally ignorant. :-)
Touché(e)!
fiddleronvermouth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by fiddleronvermouth »

Azalin wrote:
fiddleronvermouth wrote:
Actually, I came to the point where I totally understood you are totally ignorant AGES ago. :D
"Is that stupid? Maybe. But that's the way I am."

~Bill O'Reilly, The O'Reilly Factor for Kids
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

alurker wrote:The fact is that ITM played 150 years ago was pretty much exclusively played by solo performers for (paid) house recitals, at fairs (as street performers) etc. If you define the music played 150 years ago as your benchmark for traditional or 'pure drop' then many of the current facets of ITM including group performance, instruments like accordions, banjos, etc, sessions and chordal accompaniment by guitars can not be defined as traditional.
How are guitars part of traditional Irish music? Are you suggesting that within the next 100 years, they will start playing melody?

ITM 150 was also playing for 'impromptu' dances for the people. Paid gigs were in the big houses.
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Jim McGuire wrote:
alurker wrote:... instruments like...guitars can not be defined as traditional.
How are guitars part of traditional Irish music?
:-?
fiddleronvermouth

StevieJ wrote:
talasiga wrote:Your point about chord generated tension appears non sequitur to my point about modal (melody generated) tension.
Really? You said guitarists dilute modal tension, and I said that in my experience they sometimes create tension where the mode has none. I thought it was an interesting contrast.
I imagine it depends on the guitar player and what tuning s/he's in. IMHO, an unimaginative accompanist in standard tuning completely castrates the modal melodies, whereas a decent player who pushes the envelope in a modal tuning adds a lot. Generally speaking, of course.

Denny

Post by Denny »

Martin Milner wrote:
Jim McGuire wrote:
alurker wrote:... instruments like...guitars can not be defined as traditional.
How are guitars part of traditional Irish music?
:lol:
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Denny wrote:
Martin Milner wrote:
Jim McGuire wrote: How are guitars part of traditional Irish music?
:lol:
Maybe it's good to realise that some instruments are more commonly used for traditional music but by the end of the day it's how you play them that determines if your music is 'traditional' or not (what does that really mean? anyway). For example, there a guy who comes to the Willie Clancy week every year, he play the SE Asian Zheng. He plays Irish music on it and it's astonishingly beautifull stuff, played with great vituosity and insight. The old guys invariably love it. A couple of years ago I stood in the street listening to him with Gussie Russell, you couldn't have dragged Gussie away if you wanted to, he was all smiles. And that is the true measure of being 'traditional': the acceptance of the music you play by the people who really have it.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

fiddleronvermouth wrote:
StevieJ wrote:
I imagine it depends on the guitar player and what tuning s/he's in. IMHO, an unimaginative accompanist in standard tuning completely castrates the modal melodies, whereas a decent player who pushes the envelope in a modal tuning adds a lot. Generally speaking, of course.
Even though I enjoy DADGAD guitar accompaniments, I think they change it to the point where it's no longer traditional but kind of new Agey.. I will continue to play accompaniments, whether its standard tuning or DADGAD, but I do not think it's pure drop with guitar, period. It's fusion.

Not only does it introduce rhythmic tension, albeit interesting and enjoyable, but the chord forms that fall easily under the hand of the guitarist are pushing certain interval combinations and implied bass lines. You hear a lot of II and VI in DADGAD playing, whether it should be there or not.

If you are a guitarist, the easiest thing to point out is the lack of IV chords on a DADGAD guitar, that is, IV chords with a G in the bass (using D Major in this case).

The first thing the standard tuning guitarist notices about Drop D or DADGAD is that you have to work harder to get a G chord with a G in the bass, because its up on the fifth fret. So what do DADGAD guitarist do? They tend to emphasize the II chord instead as a IV substitute. Or they use a IV first or second inversion in the place of a regular IV.

Now follow close because here is a subtle point. This is what happened at first. DADGAD players have become VERY skillful, to the point that they no longer avoid that chord form (using the G). But it's my belief that the early users of the style set a harmonic standard that influenced everything that followed.

Back to not playing the IV: To me, they are implying a modal sound even when the tune is in D Major, and leading listeners to hear modal "quality" whether it was meant to be or not. Once your ears are used to the sound of DADGAD accompaniment, a straight IV chord begins to sound in-authentic, which is mind-boggling, since nobody ever decided whether the tune should be harmonized in either fashion. Many non-Irish folk songs (in major keys) are heavy on regular IV chords, but recent harmonizations of Irtrad tend not to be.

Also, the use of the GDAD tuning of bouzouki types of instruments, instead of standard mando GDAE has further reinforced the "modal" sound. Hey, I like it, but it's still an imposition on top of a clear melody.

I think this is a real delicate area in terms of prerogatives. If you are an expert DADGAD player, you have a lot invested in that style. If you are avoiding DADGAD, because you don't want to take the trouble, you can find arguments (like mine above) to stick with maybe just a drop D tuning , and I have met players that feel that way. And what is really interesting is that we now have players who started on DADGAD only. They are really out-of-touch with mainstream guitarists, which adds a further gap in understanding of this harmonization process.

My approach is to readily admit that adding a guitar is a construct, no matter what tuning I personally like, and to be big enough to admit that it is a construct. Period.

The only other clue as to stamping "valid ITM" on top of it, becomes what native Irish players have gravitated towards. THe fact is, some of the best players have allowed the DADGAD into the tent, so some can argue it's more authentic. This after the early tune collectors had thrown 19th century piano parts on top of the tunes, which the early recordings somewhat continued and ceili bands reinforced. In that context, DADGAD becomes a refreshing reform of sorts. But, just because this "reform" occurred doesn't make it a bit more authentic.

If anything, some of the real popular bands continue to push the harmonic envelope and add more and more complex and changeable harmonizations to tunes, to whatever end, because they are bored with the usual. I can't remember if its Wooden Flute Obsession or a Lunasa recording, but I remember hearing a harmonization of Maid of Mt. Kisco that was all over the place, compared to the usual fairly simple harmonization heard on most recordings. It was great, it was pretty, but not my notion of "pure drop" for a moment. And the audacity of such a harmonization sends some listeners into instant rejection mode because it's not traditional.

What a can of worms.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

The Weekenders wrote:Also, the use of the GDAD tuning of bouzouki types of instruments, instead of standard mando GDAE has further reinforced the "modal" sound. Hey, I like it, but it's still an imposition on top of a clear melody.
If I'm understanding your post correctly, that's interesting to me...I like the modal thing because to my ears it imposes the least, being usually made of open-ish chord forms that let the melody ascribe major or minor qualities to them as the case may be. The modal thing, to me, sort of stays out of the way and just provides a simple underlayment, if you will.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
fiddleronvermouth

You know, weeks, I don't think any of the DADGAD backers I know avoid the IV at all. I hear it (and use it) all over the place, and many tunes (the Virginian Reel pops to mind) can't be backed without it. In fact, it's only recently I discovered the II makes an interesting alternative and fits nicely into a 4 chord turnaround. It's also not difficult to play. In fact, if you bump the fingering you'd use for II chord up 3 frets, it's a IV chord.

Who are you thinking of when you refer to early users of modal guitar tunings for backing? I'd be interested to hear what the avoidance of the IV chord would sound like. (That's genuine curiosity, not a rhetorical challenge, just to be clear).

IMO, "traditional music" is a point of view - a way of playing and learning. It's a way of life, not a particular array of instruments or music from a particular point in time. (I think Brad brought this up way back in the first few pages).

From this perspective, Irish traditional music is what I experienced when I went over to Ireland. A huge array of stuff. From people bashing away at the worst songs you can think of in standard tuning to brilliant pipers flying solo. Punters bursting into Irish songs with 25 verses over by the bar, ridiculously fast Belfast sessions with fistfights rolling by, open air tune swapping at Spanish Point, impromptu sessions wherever two or more like-minded musicians happened to bump into one another.

I could go on and on - my main point is that a lot of the sessions I was at had guitars, and a lot didn't, but the presence or absence of a guitar had no relationship to the quality or authenticity of the traditional Irish music being played. It's MOSTLY in North America I hear such debates. (Not entirely - there are purists in Ireland as well, but they seemed to be a source of great amusement to the musicians I met, rather than the infallible authorities we take them for over here).

By a long stretch, most of the professional (ie. paid and pre-arranged), sessions dances and concerts I saw preferred to have a guitar player. Who am I to tell the Irish they're playing "fusion", not trad? They had ample pisstake material already! Why add fuel to the fire?

The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Nanohedron wrote:
The Weekenders wrote:Also, the use of the GDAD tuning of bouzouki types of instruments, instead of standard mando GDAE has further reinforced the "modal" sound. Hey, I like it, but it's still an imposition on top of a clear melody.
If I'm understanding your post correctly, that's interesting to me...I like the modal thing because to my ears it imposes the least, being usually made of open-ish chord forms that let the melody ascribe major or minor qualities to them as the case may be. The modal thing, to me, sort of stays out of the way and just provides a simple underlayment, if you will.
I agree that it (DADGAD over standard tuning and harmonization) seems to "direct" the melody less, but I think that's partly the function of the weakened IV chord and what happens to fall under the hands in those tunings. It's very hard to communicate with words alone, but if you have played guitar for ever, like me, then you start noodling with DADGAD or GDAD, certainly interval combinations come VERY easily and they are very attractive and very meditative, in fact.

But, they are still an imposition on top of a previously completely free melody. The counter-argument, is that the melody always had an IMPLIED harmony, because of spelled-out triads and such. But once again, this would bring into account the sonic experience of the listener. As somebody who played a lot of classical music and non-Irish folk, my initial hearings of Irish music summoned forth a set of harmonic expectations, that forever affect the way I hear and would subsequently harmonize them, given the chance.

PS. Fid, I hear IV substitutes all the time, mostly from the most advanced players, like the guy in Patrick Street. Less so on SUNG songs. And to be clear, I am guessing that early DADGAD'ers made the transition from standard tuning and faced the same initial fingering challenge that I did. I can't prove it, but that's how it seems. I am trying to interpret what I hear and risk imposing my own experience too much.

I hear more IVs in contradancers, Scottish groups and generalized "celtic" players, rather than just Irish tunes. I also should have said that I sometimes hear a transition of II to IV, where the IV is there, but in a weakened place.

The way I hear the substitutes (and make this argument) is that when I first started playing Irish tunes on the whistle, I would go back and "harmonize" them on the guitar by the way that seemed natural, given my musical experience and what the melody spelled out. Then,as I collected more and more records and listened more to players, I would hear many more IIs and VIs, and also, very importantly, delayed beats of where the chords fall. Instead of pounding the harmonic rhythm on downbeats, I often hear the IIs and VIs as an upstroke, weak-beat chord. Once again, hard to put in words .... trying my best here.

Further proof is to listen to the old records, like Michael Coleman, where a piano was added. Take any given tune, listen to one of those, then fast forward to now, with an established DADGAD'er on the same tune. I think it will illustrate what I am trying to describe. A very different feel.

Another way of describing it, is that there are many "passing" chords in DADGAD playing style, but ones that are less reliant of the normal bass-note direction that passing chords are usually based on. It's an interesting, wonderful and fascinating technique, but works differently than the style that most Western musicians use, which is based on the old figured bass of the early Baroque era.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?