Would like some more whistle advice...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
dyersituations
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Would like some more whistle advice...

Post by dyersituations »

I know it gets tiring to see so many posts looking to get advice whistles, but I haven't played too many whistles, and there aren't many shops/whistlers near me where I could try other whistles.

Anyways, I would like some advice on a low D if it isn't too much trouble for people. I have played 3 low Ds and what I am looking for is pretty specific. Just posting to see if it exists. I have played: Kerry low D with plastic head, OS Chieftain, and Songbird low D. My favorite was the Songbird.

I would like to find a somewhat loud, flute-like low D that doesn't have a metal mouthpiece. My preference is to not have metal in my mouth all day. I am interested in some low Ds like: Burke, Reyburn, Howard, others.

Any advice? Sorry for another "advice thread." Thanks!

-Casey
Life is good.
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by PhilO »

I have the Burke Viper; love the tone and playability.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Dave Parkhurst

Post by Dave Parkhurst »

I tried a reyburn Low D narrow bore and was very impressed.
Dave
"Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom..."
Ted
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ted »

I like the new Howard.I am selling an extra new one (40% off new price), pm me if interested.
I also like the Reyburn. I have a viper, but find it more in air requirement than I like.
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

You can't do much better than a low whistle by Mr. Reyburn. And I don't even like low whistles.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
ThorntonRose

Post by ThorntonRose »

Dixon. You can get polymer or aluminum with a polymer head.
King Friday

Post by King Friday »

ThorntonRose wrote:Dixon. You can get polymer or aluminum with a polymer head.
Dixon is the relatively inexpensive option too.
DavidT

Post by DavidT »

I love my Dixon Low D, but it isn't really loud. Does Susato make a low D?
Hi. My name is David and I'm a whistleholic.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

DavidT wrote:Does Susato make a low D?
Susato makes a loud everything.
scheky

Post by scheky »

Most of the feedback from Susato Low D's is negative. From personal experience, I would agree with that feedback.

For your first Low D, I would recommend a Chieftain. It's not considerably pricey for a low whistle and has a good solid tone. You may never feel the need to "upgrade" from it.

Of course, if you are willing to spend, the Viper and the Copeland are both great options.
King Friday

Post by King Friday »

I was a bit wary of the Susato Low D at first, but I heard one on clips and snips the other day that had such a nice sound it made me want to steal one.
Kansas

Low D

Post by Kansas »

I have had the Susato, the Calmont and the Kerry Low D easy blow with plastic head.

I could never feel confident or comfortable with the Susato. It demands precise breath control. A little too much blow, you get a screech before the high register. It sounds fine, well in tune and all, just very hard for a beginner for sure.

The Kerry easy blow on the other hand is just what is says. I have short fingers and have to stretch to play it, but the breath control is no problem at all. The higher register needs more airI was on the Kerry Songbird test. I liked that as well. They were very close in playability. I'm not sure the sound of the full metal one (Songbird) was absolutely better, but both were close. The fingerering was only slightly different. In the hands of a Pro, he or she would probably prefer the Songbird. Your pocket may like the Songbird just fine. But you have tried that and maybe did not like it for some reason.

I also had a Low D Calmont. Similar problem to the Susato, breath control was a major issue and hard to adjust the sliding mouthpiece. Just not fun if you know what I mean.

Hope this helps, just remember I am a newer player. Perhaps the answer might also be to find a Susato to try. I think you would agree with the others that they are not quite easy to play. My old Susato is now living in Hawaii otherwise I'd be glad to let you try it.
Clann O' dubh Ghaill / Doyle