To the chiffy chatters.

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Alan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: From the land beyond beyond. From the time past hope and fear. I bid you, Genie, now appear! Well, the Genie did not appear but the notification to type at least 100 characters did so I am back and typing some more as you, if anyone actually sees this, can probably tell.

Post by Alan »

People are free to chat or not chat with whomever they wish for whatever reason.

By the way, nobody to my knowledge was 'filtering' anyones posts (other than by simply ignoring them and by 'ignore' I mean not paying attention to them as there was no 'blocking' of posts and I am not sure that is even possible) though they might have seemed to do so for 'effect'.

Heck, my standards are pretty low, djm. After all, I talked to you didn't I? :wink:
Last edited by Alan on Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Alan
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

I have trouble imagining they are too cliquish. They were willing to talk to me.
Reasonable person
Walden
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

And me.
Jeferson

Post by Jeferson »

My consistent experience, during my spotty participation over the last three years, is that the chatters are friendly and welcoming folk. Ebb and flow is a good way of putting it, Alan. Sometimes it's quiet in there, other times it's hyper. Occasionally, there's a focused and detailed conversation going on between two or three people who'll stop to say hi and then carry on with the conversation. If I was to log in, see that, and conclude that I was unwelcome or in the presence of elitists, that would be my right, I suppose. I'd be wrong, though.

Jef
carrie

Post by carrie »

In my estimation, the chiffy chat regulars are very kind, very patient, genuinely interested in the experiences and stories other good-spirited chatters, including newbies, bring to the room, very well-mannered, and extremely intelligent and funny.

:love:

Carol
Alcona

Post by Alcona »

I am a very shy person and over the past few years I've been visiting chat, I've always been made to feel welcome. Even when I dissapeer for months at a time without even a quick hello visit :oops:
Birthdays are good for you;
the more you have,
the longer you live.
http://www.pbase.com/ejcsnapdragon
http://www.pbase.com/hamishcraig/jills_pics2
Karina

Post by Karina »

First of all, I just want to say thanks, Walden, for posting something so kind and thoughtful. I'm sorry it's turned into something less pure than its original intent. And Weeks, we all miss you! I hope you stop by again.

I won't comment on the negative comments that were said beyond one statement: don't take their words for it, come on in for a visit and chat with us. Make your own opinion before you take someone else's word for it and are scared away. If you then decide we are snobbish and cliquish and whatever else, fine--you've a right to your opinion as well as anyone. But please do not come in with preconceived notions. Attitudes in chat tend to be reciprocated in kind.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Well, I think I'm scared away.
Reasonable person
Walden
Karina

Post by Karina »

Walden wrote:Well, I think I'm scared away.
Yeah, but you don't count. Cause I've been trying to scare you away, see? That's different. Is it working? Where's the Treet...then again, you're the one who brought all that stuff up. And the brains in milk gravy or whatever. Heaven forbid, maybe these people really should be scared away for their own protection! Maybe I'll even be forced to share the link to the Gallery of Regrettable Food!
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

djm wrote:You should mention that several chatters are quite snooty about who they will chat with, and will purposely filter out posts by certain others, or will set up a separate private chat session with just a few friends, so that they may appear to be logged into the board, but are, in fact, hiding in a closet somewhere. :wink: All these things can be off-putting to the newbie.

djm
I don't think that happens with any real frequency on our chat.
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Well anyway, Walden, thats a nice post.

I have been back to Chiffy Chat many times since I regard that first time as a fluke. I'd love to chat with you folks but there's never anyone there.

Here's a question. Am I correct that you can use any "handle" you want and not necessarily your C&F handle? Why would someone not use their C&F handle?
Jack

Post by Jack »

Flyingcursor wrote:Well anyway, Walden, thats a nice post.

I have been back to Chiffy Chat many times since I regard that first time as a fluke. I'd love to chat with you folks but there's never anyone there.

Here's a question. Am I correct that you can use any "handle" you want and not necessarily your C&F handle? Why would someone not use their C&F handle?
Some folks who chat don't have a C&F handle, and some folks' handles don't fit. Mine does, but barely--there is an allowance of 9 characters, but most people opt for shorter versions.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Flyingcursor wrote:I'd love to chat with you folks but there's never anyone there.
It used to kick off earlier, but nowadays folks don't usually start showing up till around 11PMEastern/10PMCentral/9PMMountain/8PMPacific.
Flyingcursor wrote:Here's a question. Am I correct that you can use any "handle" you want and not necessarily your C&F handle? Why would someone not use their C&F handle?
Probably the majority use their C&F handle, but there are some who prefer to go by their given name or some other name they are more accustomed to than the one they have on the Forum.
Reasonable person
Walden
djm

Post by djm »

Dale wrote:I don't think that happens with any real frequency on our chat.
It was happening all the time when I was first trying it out. Once it was explained to me what was going on I had no issues with it, but it certainly confused me at first.
FlyingC wrote:Here's a question. Am I correct that you can use any "handle" you want and not necessarily your C&F handle? Why would someone not use their C&F handle?
You can log in with one userid, and then change your on-line id to something else. Several people use this tool to indicate they have stepped away from the keyboard. I have also personally witnessed some people using this tool to lock others out by already being logged in with that user's usual id.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Walden wrote: It used to kick off earlier, but nowadays folks don't usually start showing up till around 11PMEastern/10PMCentral/9PMMountain/8PMPacific.
Unfortunately that's 4 AM London time. After my insomnia cleared up I haven't been in chat much!
djm wrote: I have also personally witnessed some people using this tool to lock others out by already being logged in with that user's usual id.
That doesn't sound like a very effective lock, as a person can just come in as ava_oi! or something completely random. Also the system crashes sometimes and doesn't correctly log the person off, so I've had to be ava1 or ava2 sometimes until the first one times out.