I need your help

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
jmadjeski
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by jmadjeski »

Oh, I guess I should add to my previous post that you can order these from http://www.thewhistleshop.com :smile:

-joe
Don't you hate pants?
LeeMarsh
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by LeeMarsh »

On 2002-09-05 11:42, roycustomknives wrote:
I am a novice ... and when to purchase them. Thanks ...
"Them" ... yep, thats the WhOA we've come to expect and admire. When? Well sooner or later ALL of them.

My preferences are for the Dixon tunables (also available at the whistle shop in the above link) having had most of the ones mentioned. But my journey through WhOA is dotted with my loves scattered heather and yon.

In the end it's a matter of time and obsession but throughout you can ...
Enjoy Your Music,
Lee Marsh
From Odenton, MD.
roycustomknives

Post by roycustomknives »

On 2002-09-05 14:43, PhilO wrote:
I'm more curious about your handle, because I collect custom knives.
Regards, Philo
Well just follow the link to my webpage, that should answer any of your questions!
roycustomknives

I want to thank everyone that has given a response to my cry for help. :smile:
I really appreciate it.
Cees
Tell us something.: I became interested in the beauty and versatility of Irish whistles and music over 20 years ago when I first found the Chiff boards. Yes, I do have WHOA, and I love my whistles. :)

Post by Cees »

I agree with Gary, Feadog's are great, but make it a black nickel Feadog. I haven't played the brass ones but my black nickel one is the very best whistle I own. It cost me about $7.50 at a local music shop.

Welcome to whistling!
rossmpfc13

Post by rossmpfc13 »

I would suggest a Susato. Fairly reasonably priced, good tone.
-Ross
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Susatos are very much love-it-or-hate-it. If possible, try before you buy.
Lachoneus

Post by Lachoneus »

Actually, it might be helpful if you just tweaked the whistle you have. I bought a Walton's D at a local Irish travel/souvenir store and figured that it was a cheap whistle anyways, so it wouldn't hurt much to tamper with it. I used some clay to plug up the hollow space behind the window, took a file from my leatherman tool and flattened the fipple, then used a sticker from a blank cassette to dull the sharp edge of the fipple and bring it slightly closer to the airway. I found that it doesn't take much to make a significant change to the tone. Now, it plays fairly decently, much better than before.
True gold is not afraid of the refiner's fire
roycustomknives

On 2002-09-05 20:45, Lachoneus wrote:
Actually, it might be helpful if you just tweaked the whistle you have. I bought a Walton's D at a local Irish travel/souvenir store and figured that it was a cheap whistle anyways, so it wouldn't hurt much to tamper with it. I used some clay to plug up the hollow space behind the window, took a file from my leatherman tool and flattened the fipple, then used a sticker from a blank cassette to dull the sharp edge of the fipple and bring it slightly closer to the airway. I found that it doesn't take much to make a significant change to the tone. Now, it plays fairly decently, much better than before.
Sorry, I don't understand what to do, I don't understand the lingo, can you explain it in laymen's terms.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

On 2002-09-05 14:14, mike.r wrote:
Why not grab another Waltons?You'd be amazed how diferent two seemingly identical whistles can sound.Brass generations have a great tone. Mike
Yes. I've only had two Waltons, and they were two of my favorite whistles.
Reasonable person
Walden
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

On 2002-09-05 21:05, roycustomknives wrote:

Sorry, I don't understand what to do, I don't understand the lingo, can you explain it in laymen's terms.
Personally, I'm not convinced that tweakage is the way to go for a new player, but a fairly simplified explanation of the processes can be found at the C&F web site here: http://www.chiffandfipple.com/tweak.html
Reasonable person
Walden
Lachoneus

Post by Lachoneus »

-quote-
-endquote-

Sorry if my wording was a little hard to understand. Basically, I just experimented with some of the tweaking procedures that are on the website, at the link Walden provided. I also ran a search on the forum, and came up with some helpful ideas on how to tamper with the whistle. But I'd only recommend trying to tweak the whistle if the whistle sounds so bad that you're not going to play it anyways. There's really no right or wrong way to do it, you just experiment by changing different parts of the whistle and see what happens.
True gold is not afraid of the refiner's fire
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Hey Roy: We saw your shop! It won't take long for you to figure it out!!

Nice knives. I have cheapo Frost folders but love em.

Couldnt figure out what that Usual Suspect thing was all about but that is a stunning flashpage!! Check it out , other web aficianados. Follow Roy's links!
Dewhistle

Post by Dewhistle »

I am currently in love with my new nickel Feadog, which is a great price (and gorgeous), but there are some dazzling reviews for the Meg, the cheapest of the lot, which has a sound entirely apart from a Walton cart-horse. Much easier high notes.
"We took pictures of the native girls, but they weren't developed. But we're going back again in a couple of weeks..."
roycustomknives

Well I just ordered Dixon D with Brass slide, from the Whistle Shop! Thanks for all the help!