Pinkie or no pinkie?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Bobj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Pinkie or no pinkie?

Post by Bobj »

How critical is the position of the right pinkie finger for playing fast? Is support from the pinkie critical, helpful, or irrelevant?
Ostekjeks

Post by Ostekjeks »

I don't use the pinkies while playing. They are just tapping in the air following my ring fingers. Somebody use them to support the whistle; I don't.
straycat82
antispam: No

Post by straycat82 »

I use my pinky as an anchor and it actually increased my speed when I started using it. It took a while to build up the muscles and get the tendons in my ring finger used to it but it keeps my fingers closer to the whistle. Before I used the pinky as an anchor, I had a habit of lifting my lower hand way too high off the whistle when not sounding those lower notes. Having the pinky anchored helped me keep my other fingers down there where they need to be and also gave me a more confident grip on the whistle. I know plenty of players who don't use that but it seems to work well for me.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

here's a question related to the pinky issue: does anyone else get a bit of numbness in their pinky? and for all the musical instruments that i've played, what's up with this pinky numbness stuff?
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

oops. my pinky only gets numb playing the flute, not the whistle. wrong forum but i figure someone can answer that here too.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Pinkie Numb Numb?
You must be eating too much cereal foods.
:P
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

mutepointe wrote:oops. my pinky only gets numb playing the flute, not the whistle. wrong forum but i figure someone can answer that here too.
hmm, might be your ulnar nerve (funny bone) that gets a bit pinched while playing?
MarcusR
Location: I stay in a place called 'Rooms'... There's a whole chain of them.

Post by MarcusR »

Ostekjeks wrote:I don't use the pinkies while playing. They are just tapping in the air following my ring fingers.
Wont matter for whistle playing as there are only six holes to cover. But might end up to be a nasty habbit
if you decide to move on to pipes or a keyed flute.

Cheers!

/MarcusR
There is no such thing as tailwind -- it's either against you or you're simply having great legs!
Ostekjeks

Post by Ostekjeks »

MarcusR wrote:
Ostekjeks wrote:I don't use the pinkies while playing. They are just tapping in the air following my ring fingers.
Wont matter for whistle playing as there are only six holes to cover. But might end up to be a nasty habbit
if you decide to move on to pipes or a keyed flute.

Cheers!

/MarcusR
Of course, If I'd like to, I can make them stay at one place. I'm just saying that I don't use them for something reasonable. I'm not moving on to the dark side yet, mind you! :P
Craig Stuntz

Post by Craig Stuntz »

When I first started playing I found that putting my bottom-hand pinkie on the whistle made it harder for me to use my bottom-hand second and third fingers. But as I've learned more tunes and started playing them faster I'm finding that the necessity of keeping the bottom-hand third finger (or other fingers) down when playing C natural is an even bigger impediment. So lately I've been keeping my pinkie down, and it's helping. It also helps stabilize the whistle on notes like G where there would not otherwise be any fingers down on the bottom hand.

-Craig
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

Stabilizing w/pinky definitely helps even for a keyless flute. So it isn;t a bad habit if ya might move in that direction in the future.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
Tia

Post by Tia »

I don't use my pinkie when playing, I never tried it, but I think its because then if my pinkie is on the whistle, then my fingers are curved to much, which isnt good
-Music is a magic beyond everything-
Ostekjeks

Post by Ostekjeks »

Tia wrote:I think its because then if my pinkie is on the whistle, then my fingers are curved to much, which isnt good
I feel the same way.
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

Ah.. .. I use piper's grip, which explains it somewhat.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

I use PG also wormdiet and I don't know what you mean.
My pinkie points to heaven always. (Well. almost heaven).
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit