To the chiffy chatters.

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Cranberry wrote:P.S. Osiyo, Tar bowel, food, Why dois your brand sae drap wi bluid? analcoholism, food, music, MoO0òóôõöøơƠŌōŎŏŐőoO0n!, food, pretty homemade bears on eBay, memories, food, osyio!
:lol:

I can tell how much I chat based on the ratio of understood versus nonunderstood references there...

I ought to chat more..
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

avanutria wrote:
Cranberry wrote:P.S. Osiyo, Tar bowel, food, Why dois your brand sae drap wi bluid? analcoholism, food, music, MoO0òóôõöøơƠŌōŎŏŐőoO0n!, food, pretty homemade bears on eBay, memories, food, osyio!
:lol:

I can tell how much I chat based on the ratio of understood versus nonunderstood references there...

I ought to chat more..
Some of them I didn't get, either.

Osiyo=
a Cherokee greeting -- pronounced oh-see-yo

Tar bowel= a mixup of towel bar

MoO0òóôõöøơƠŌōŎŏŐőoO0n!= my exaggerated greetings of Moonlight

Food= a frequent topic of conversation

and the homemade bears on eBay is one of Moon's activities
Reasonable person
Walden
mukade

Post by mukade »

Walden wrote:Tar bowel
It sounds like the morning after a heavy night on the Beamish.

Mukade
'The people who play the flat pipes usually have more peace of mind. I like that.'
- Tony Mcmahon
BrassBlower

Re: To the chiffy chatters.

Post by BrassBlower »

Walden wrote: To Nancy- It's been a pleasure visiting with you, not only online, but in person.

To BrassBlower- We ought to meet up in person, too.
The 3 of us should have a jam sometime.

Where do ya think? Claremore? :D
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Re: To the chiffy chatters.

Post by Walden »

BrassBlower wrote:
Walden wrote: To Nancy- It's been a pleasure visiting with you, not only online, but in person.

To BrassBlower- We ought to meet up in person, too.
The 3 of us should have a jam sometime.

Where do ya think? Claremore? :D
Works for me, since I'm practically IN Claremore. :)
Reasonable person
Walden
The Weekenders
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by The Weekenders »

Walden wrote:Lambchop, I never have said, or even intended to imply, that I didn't want you there. I did, by whatever accident, forget to list some folks, including Weekenders, Andrea, and others, but I don't dislike y'all.
I was starting to get my feelings hurt... fact is, I have some kind of cosmic dissonance with chat programs. They always bomb on me, that's why I rarely visit you guys anymore. That and time...and the fact that three others in this house share this computer. My 16-yr old camps on a longboard forum and has basically taken over recreational computer use around here. Since I work at one all day, I am much less inclined to sit at one at night anyway.

I miss all of you, especially Moon and Alan, the yin and yang of chiffychat.

Hmm...mebbe I shall attempt to log on...
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
lilymaid

Post by lilymaid »

Aww. :)

To Walden- you're just all around deathly cool, what with your origami, your endless knowledge of strange, obscure things, your good sense, and your listening and cheering me up with ketchup jokes when I very much needed it.
Catch from the board of beauty
Such careless crumbs as fall.
- Edna St. Vincent Millay
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

a very nice post walden, thank you, I now feel compelled to paste this:

http://www.mtn.org/quack/amquacks/kellogg.htm
and this
http://www.stayfreemagazine.org/10/graham.htm
the people must know!! :D
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

The Weekenders wrote:I was starting to get my feelings hurt... fact is, I have some kind of cosmic dissonance with chat programs. They always bomb on me, that's why I rarely visit you guys anymore.
It's always a glad day when I happen to catch you in chat, Weeks.
Reasonable person
Walden
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I never catch anyone in chat. I guess I'm just too early.

Actually once, years ago I entered chat and it was a negative experience. Someone was going to Ireland and someone else kept posting names, individually, one per post, of places in Ireland in all caps as if to prove they could spell Irish place names with a broken shift key. The entire room seemed dominated by a small clique waxing sophmoric about whomever's upcoming trip, ignoring all other comers. I was disappointed to see nothing more than loathesome AOLism where I'd expected enlightening conversation.
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

Flyingcursor wrote:Someone was going to Ireland and someone else kept posting names, individually, one per post, of places in Ireland in all caps as if to prove they could spell Irish place names with a broken shift key.
>KNOCK

>KNOCK

>Who's there?
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Flyingcursor wrote:I never catch anyone in chat. I guess I'm just too early.

Actually once, years ago I entered chat and it was a negative experience. Someone was going to Ireland and someone else kept posting names, individually, one per post, of places in Ireland in all caps as if to prove they could spell Irish place names with a broken shift key. The entire room seemed dominated by a small clique waxing sophmoric about whomever's upcoming trip, ignoring all other comers. I was disappointed to see nothing more than loathesome AOLism where I'd expected enlightening conversation.
Well, well, well. You might give it another chance. It was probably MurphyStout planning Willie Week with Eldo (they did go on about that experience)... I can't ever remember anything like you're describing go on at length beyond one interval.

But anytime a newcomer enters into a familiar situation there is the potential to feel like it's "dominated by a small clique." This is a universal, not dissimilar to trying to join a session for the first time. If your ego is bruised by that, re-think the dynamic.

But if one try has you calling it loathsome, well, maybe, don't bother. You need to lighten up a little and respect other people's prerogatives.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

The Weekenders wrote:
Flyingcursor wrote:I never catch anyone in chat. I guess I'm just too early.

Well, well, well. You might give it another chance. It was probably MurphyStout planning Willie Week with Eldo (they did go on about that experience)... I can't ever remember anything like you're describing go on at length beyond one interval.

But anytime a newcomer enters into a familiar situation there is the potential to feel like it's "dominated by a small clique."
Fly isn't imagining anything. There have been a number of people who felt they were unwelcome. I, unfortunately, failed to get the hint and was asked to stay out.

Something you should remember is that Chiffy Chat is not technically part of Chiff & Fipple. There is just a link to there from here. Chat is an IRC channel which "belongs" to a couple of the Chatters, who set it up some time ago and maintain it. They don't have to let you participate.
Alan
Tell us something.: From the land beyond beyond. From the time past hope and fear. I bid you, Genie, now appear! Well, the Genie did not appear but the notification to type at least 100 characters did so I am back and typing some more as you, if anyone actually sees this, can probably tell.

Post by Alan »

The only people unwelcome in chat are people that make themselves unwelcome and this is rare and takes some doing. Not everyone is cut out for chat while some prefer it to posting on the boards.

Be aware that chat can go from stagnant to hopping and back at any moment. It depends on who is in and who is paying attention. Remember that we may have people on opposite sides of the Earth in the room at the same time. Eld for example may be eating lunch in Singapore as Moon and I are having late snacks in Canada and California while Claudine in Luxembourg is just starting her day.

People often are doing other things either at the computer or elsewhere and so might be unresponsive at first and then actively engaged. This is one of the things that 'throws' some people. They think that chatters should be chatting every second but that is not the case. One needs a bit of patience. Don't take a lack of immediate response personally just pull up a chair and keep checking the room for signs of life.

If you get bored waiting, toss out a comment about food... that will often do the trick!

Also there may be a chat underway that has certain members attentions to the point they may not notice other chatters. This happens to just about everyone, including me, at some point and is part of the ebb and flow of chat. It is also not unusual to see 'cross chatting' with seperate small groups which can be confusing at times.

I'm afraid it may seem to some a bit like being tossed into a lake and being told to swim. If the waters seem a bit choppy when you come in either hang around for a calm moment or try again at another time.
Alan
djm

Post by djm »

You should mention that several chatters are quite snooty about who they will chat with, and will purposely filter out posts by certain others, or will set up a separate private chat session with just a few friends, so that they may appear to be logged into the board, but are, in fact, hiding in a closet somewhere. :wink: All these things can be off-putting to the newbie.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.