Northeast Chiff and Fipple gathering?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Northeast Chiff and Fipple gathering?

Post by brewerpaul »

Hi all-- it's pretty much time to think about the third annual Northeast gathering of the Chiff and Fipple clan. Both previous outings were loads of fun and everyone seemed to have a great time.
Any suggestions as to time and place?
Walt Sweet has kindly offered the Sweetheart grounds, where we met last year. Lovely spot, with a swimmable creek and tours of the Sweetheart factory. Plus, there is a dance hall on the grounds where we could go in case of rain.
If people wanted to come to the NY Capital district, there's a park called Peeble's Island right at the junction of the Hudson and Mohawk rivers which is really nice. They have one covered pavilion and I could check if it's still available at any time this summer.

I'm taking a summer school course which meets at odd weekend intervals. Once dates start getting suggested, I'll chime in again on that.

Let's do it!
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
JS
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by JS »

Gosh, Peebles Island is just ridiculously close (and that's quite a beautiful area).
Unseen122
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I will be in Europe until the last weekend in July, anytime from then on is good for me. I am up for the Sweets' place again, or Peeble's Island.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

I just called Peeble's Island, and unfortunately the covered pavilion is not available for ANY weekend dates for the rest of the summer. If we want to wait until Sept, it's a possibility, but I have a feeling that summer is better for most people. The park has some really beautiful, easy walking trails, and if anyone wants to visit sometime anyway, contact me and I'll be happy to meet you for a guided tour.

As far as dates go, I'm taking a summer school class for my nursing and it has a really odd schedule of separated Sat and Sun classes. The dates I'm FREE are:
7/15 and 7/16
7/29 &7/30
8/26&8/27
8/12-13 and 8/19-20 We are tentatively planning a vacation road trip, but if we know a date soon, we could probably either leave late or get home sooner. I wouldn't want to miss this.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Sounds like fun. Considering all the rain we're having this year (as of Friday Boston has had 6 inches more rain so far this year than Seattle!! :o We're up to nearly 30 inches year to date) , definitely seems wise to have access to something well covered....

Right now, later in the summer looks better for me, sometime in August, but as always, things could change.

Loren
BD

Northeast Gathering

Post by BD »

I had a lot of fun last year and am looking forward to reconnecting and meeting new whistlers. I'm available pretty much anytime in July or August.
I care not who makes the laws of a country as long as I can listen to their music!
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

brewerpaul wrote:I'm FREE are:
7/29 &7/30
That is right after I get back, there is one weekend in August that I will not be around for, I will post that after I look it up.

I don't want to miss this either.
preacher
Tell us something.: I am in my 70s and played music since fourth grade. Paid gigs include everything starting with church solos in 4th grade, nightclubs starting 9th grade, and worship ministry. Had a 29 year career teaching high school music both choral and instrumental. I've played several instruments starting with trumpet as my main ax. I added flute, sax and keys after college. Early 2000s whistles were added to my arsenal. I'm back to playing again after a 5 year hiatus.

Post by preacher »

Since I'm fairly new I'll be bold and ask what you guys do at these shindigs. I'm only in Rhode Island and in driving distance(although folks here consider a 40 minute ride a "day trip"). August dates wold work best for me.
Art
Last edited by preacher on Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

Loren wrote: (as of Friday Boston has had 6 inches more rain so far this year than Seattle!! :o
Now, Loren. Even in a normal year, Boston typically gets more rain than Seattle! You can look it up: Seattle averages 36-39 inches of rain per year; Boston averages around 41. Summer in Seattle is often quite dry; I've spent about 20 weeks there over the past 15 years (one of my brothers lives there), with most of my trips being in the months of March and July, and I can honestly remember only four or five days of rain.
Unseen122

Post by Unseen122 »

preacher wrote:Since I'm fairly new I'll be bole and ask what you guys do at these shindigs.
Art
This will only be the third one!

Last years had a nice relaxed fell to it, and I don't know about the 04 one as I didn't make it. We ate, drank, jamed (a very informal session), conversed, bought and sold, and showed off our collections. Some people also went for a swim and toured the Sweet workshop. The Sweets have a massive collection, imagine a wall of Flutes and Whistles and that is what you have at the Sweet's house. Walt pretty much said I could try any I wanted to try, that was fun. Last year the great Dr. Larry McCullough came, and I think he plans on coming again this year.
CelloDog

Post by CelloDog »

I'm also interested. Peebles Island qualifies as my old stompin' grounds (some very happy days there with my dogs and a long lost friend). Keep me posted.
Doug
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

bradhurley wrote:
Loren wrote: (as of Friday Boston has had 6 inches more rain so far this year than Seattle!! :o
Now, Loren. Even in a normal year, Boston typically gets more rain than Seattle! You can look it up: Seattle averages 36-39 inches of rain per year; Boston averages around 41. Summer in Seattle is often quite dry; I've spent about 20 weeks there over the past 15 years (one of my brothers lives there), with most of my trips being in the months of March and July, and I can honestly remember only four or five days of rain.
Well, it's interesting that depending on what sources you use, you come up with radically different numbers - I got an annual seattle average of 36 inches, and an average of 17 inches of rainfall for Boston. I think what often happens is that "preciptation" totals are often quoted as "rainfall" not taking into account that a much of the preciptation in places like new england and the mountains (regardless of location) is snow. Boston does have an annual 41 inches of snowfall, according to at least one source, but we couldn't possibly average 41 inches of rain a year because we're at an all time record level now with just under 30......

Maybe I can find something more concrete on the NOAA site.

Loren
preacher
Tell us something.: I am in my 70s and played music since fourth grade. Paid gigs include everything starting with church solos in 4th grade, nightclubs starting 9th grade, and worship ministry. Had a 29 year career teaching high school music both choral and instrumental. I've played several instruments starting with trumpet as my main ax. I added flute, sax and keys after college. Early 2000s whistles were added to my arsenal. I'm back to playing again after a 5 year hiatus.

Post by preacher »

I like the idea of going to the Sweets. I'm am awaiting my 1st Sweetheart whistle, a C Pro and would love to see their place. My preferance but don't make decision just for me - I'm just weighing in.
Anyway, July is preety much out for me and I will playing at Soul-Fest in New Hampshire the weekend of 8/6-7.
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

Loren wrote: Maybe I can find something more concrete on the NOAA site.
NOAA stats are here:

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/box/climate/pcpnbos.html

This is for total annual precipitation...and yes you're right this includes snow, but I believe snowfall for these statistics is measured as rainfall equivalent (i.e. a snowfall of x inches translates to y inches of rain; I don't know the conversion factor).
johnkerr

Post by johnkerr »

bradhurley wrote:This is for total annual precipitation...and yes you're right this includes snow, but I believe snowfall for these statistics is measured as rainfall equivalent (i.e. a snowfall of x inches translates to y inches of rain; I don't know the conversion factor).
I think it's something like 10-12 inches of snow per inch of rain. Where I live, in the mid-Atlantic US, every winter there are several large areas of precipitation that pass over us, moving from west to east with the jet stream. Depending on how the temperatures lie, we end up getting either rain or snow. Many times when we're getting a good soaking of an inch or so of rain, the weather forecasters will point out that if it had been snow there would have been a foot or more of it to deal with. (Unlike in Brad's neck of the woods, flurries are enough to cause widespread panic here...)