Teada

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
PallasAthena
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Teada

Post by PallasAthena »

I friend of mine just gave me a recording of Teada, an irish band I've never heard of. I'm listening to the CD now, and it seems pretty good. I'm just wondering, has anyone else heard of Teada?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Teada

Post by Nanohedron »

PallasAthena wrote:I friend of mine just gave me a recording of Teada, an irish band I've never heard of. I'm listening to the CD now, and it seems pretty good. I'm just wondering, has anyone else heard of Teada?
Yeah, they played in the Twin Cities a couple of years back, I think it was. Didn't catch the act, but I consistently heard two things: they were impressive, and too young to be legal. Last I heard, they'd broken up, then maybe re-formed, then broken up, then...
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Denny

Post by Denny »

they still own http://www.teada.com/

there is a contact page...

The last press release was 2004
kenny

Teada

Post by kenny »

When in Ireland at the end of April, I read that there was a new live DVD about to be released, but haven't heard anything about it since. Best Irish band I've heard in years. They have 2 CDs out, and I'd recommend both.
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Re: Teada

Post by colomon »

Nanohedron wrote:Last I heard, they'd broken up, then maybe re-formed, then broken up, then...
They certainly still have a very full touring schedule for the rest of this year...
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
Alan
Tell us something.: From the land beyond beyond. From the time past hope and fear. I bid you, Genie, now appear! Well, the Genie did not appear but the notification to type at least 100 characters did so I am back and typing some more as you, if anyone actually sees this, can probably tell.

Post by Alan »

They played here last year and I enjoyed them very much, even the singing.
Alan
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

I have one of their albums. I rather like it.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I have both of their old albums and I like them a lot. They just released another and I expect it to be pretty good. Listening to the clips of the new album it sounds very Dervish like, even more Dervish like than the other albums.

They never broke up, but the old Guitar and Flute player (John Blake) quit and they were joined by Paul Finn on Button Accordion on the second album. They now have Damien Stenson on Flute and the Zouk player, Sean McElwain, doing double duty.

I was going to see them in December, but there was some pretty bad freezing rain that night.
Fishie

Post by Fishie »

I've seen them a couple of times and they are very good (and one of my personal favorite bands). Lots of energy and Oisin is a fantastic fiddle player, though they're all good musicians. I haven't seen them since they got a new flutist. Don't miss them if they play near you.
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

We saw them several years ago as well. Great show.
carrie

Post by carrie »

I saw them a few months ago and thought they were terrific. Very respectful of the tradition, as far as I could tell. I was very impressed--and yes, the fiddler is wonderful, and I am enjoying the album I bought.

Carol
LeeMarsh

Post by LeeMarsh »

Damien Stenson is a great flute player and teaches as Swannanoa Gathering. I took a beginner's class from him last year and was impressed by his play. (Even if mine wasn't all that good).
Enjoy Your Music,
Lee Marsh
From Odenton, MD.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I saw them last fall and liked them a lot. Great playing; it'll be fun to see if they start pushing the arrangements out a little farther -- what I heard was dished up well, but fairly straight-ahead traditional (nothing wrong with that, of course, but you always wonder what's next). And they do look like babies ... <sigh> Finally, yup. Damien Stenson packs a real wallop!
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
carrie

Post by carrie »

Cathy Wilde wrote: And they do look like babies ... <sigh>
They opened for bohola when I saw them, and during bohola's act they came into the auditorium and stood right behind us (we had back row seats), and they were silly--I almost felt I should *shush* them, as I would my daughter and her teenage friends, but their music had just really transported me, so....yes, they are really young.

Carol
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Hey, how's bohola doing? I was lucky to sit at Jimmy & Pat's feet at a session in East Durham this year, but was too shy to ask what was up with the band lately. Pat was in St. Louis this year and there was talk of he and Ged Foley and a couple of other folks getting together; they played wonderfully at the tutors' concert. I know Sean Cleland is out teaching now ... Anyway, I've really enjoyed bohola's music over the years, and hope they'll keep at it.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.