DoBump.com

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Lambchop
antispam: No

DoBump.com

Post by Lambchop »

OK, I'm upset. Now I don't know which of you are real and which of you are . . . DoBumps.

I just clicked on Sluder's sandcastle thread, and two google-ads came up for "DoBump.com." This is some sort of service you can buy to improve the quality and quantity of posts on your boards. Like, if you have a new board and need to make it look popular, you buy DoBump.com's services. They send in a team of "experienced" people to register and make fake posts. Or, let's say your posts are dropping off. You can hire them to come in and make it look busy again.

They have package deals:
STARTER PACKAGE
Posts 100
New Threads 20+
Hits 1000+
Writers 2+
$19

TOP PACKAGE
Posts 500
New Threads 100+
Hits 5000+
Writers 5+
$85
Last edited by Lambchop on Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

Your image isn't working. Do you mean this?

Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

No, I meant that stuff in my post.

This is shocking! I mean, I'm horrified by this! What is the world coming to?

And, further, how can anyone make any money at rates like that? 2 writers, writing 100 posts, in 20 threads . . . that's 50 posts in 10 threads each, for $9.50.

I'm glad I saw this, though. At work, we subscribe to this "professional" website that has recently upped its subscription fees. In the last year, I've begun to notice that the "expert articles" they produce are rehashed from 1 or 2 years before.

Worse, they send out a newsletter every week with links to the discussion forum, where you can ostensibly get expert advice on your pressing issues. Well, this week there was a link to a question asking about topic X. Topic X happens to be something I'm good at, and I recognized the "answer" as utter stupidity. So, I went to answer it, and when I looked up the reference for my answer . . . it dawned on me that I'd answered this same question/stupid answer combination before!!!! I answered it last year!!!

The answer wasn't just stupid . . . it bordered on being inflammatory. And, I noticed, it ended with a coy little comment: "This is just how we do it here. Looking forward to seeing some interesting discussion!"

Well, I'm sorry, but "authoritative" answer-providers need to provide authoritative answers. That's what we're paying for, supposedly. And, when the stakes for doing this wrong are going to jail for Medicare fraud, I don't think you want to have "interesting discussions." You want the right darned answer.

Looking at the rest of the discussions du jour, I noticed that they all had a kind of fake, "I-don't-really-know-this-field" kind of feel to them, and used silly "chatroom" sorts of language. It was all wrong.

The questions? They were all from a year ago. June of last year. This website is apparently recycling their questions and answers. DoBump.com
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Is it real, or is it Nanohedron?

But seriously, that's creepy.
Last edited by Nanohedron on Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
emmline

Post by emmline »

Do they provide links or references to heavily DoBumped sites, so we can see for ourselves whether these bogus posters are even remotely authentic in appearance?
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

I think Alan might be one of those DoBump people. His post counts are just way too high.

:wink:
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

I invented most of the people who post here, including Bloomfield, Walden, The Weekenders, jgilder, and Lambchop. I used to have to create all of their posts from scratch, until the software got sophisticated enough that I no longer have to do anything other than enter a few keywords. Lambchop's post, originating this thread, was generated by the Complaint Subroutine Beta.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Dale wrote:I invented most of the people who post here, including Bloomfield, Walden, The Weekenders, jgilder, and Lambchop. I used to have to create all of their posts from scratch, until the software got sophisticated enough that I no longer have to do anything other than enter a few keywords. Lambchop's post, originating this thread, was generated by the Complaint Subroutine Beta.
:lol:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Jack

Post by Jack »

Dale wrote:I invented most of the people who post here, including Bloomfield, Walden, The Weekenders, jgilder, and Lambchop.
But not me. I am a genuine DoBump. And I get paid especially to give out expert language advice.

;)
djm

Post by djm »

Oh, man, and to think I've been doing this for free! :x

bodjm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Hmm, maybe DoBumps would explain the "pure drop" thread.
djm wrote:Oh, man, and to think I've been doing this for free! :x

bodjm
I know!!!! Actually, you can sign up for a career in posting. But they only charge the forum owner something like .20/post. I couldn't make any money that way. Your two cents would literally have to be worth two cents to come out ahead. If they paid me .10/post I would have to make 250 posts/hour to make 25.00/hour. No wonder the posts aren't great! Don't blame the posters! They should be paid more.
Though there is no "big money" to be made [You can say that again!], you can earn a reasonable part-time income. Some of our forum posters even do this full time [Some of ours do too! :oops: :lol: ].
It's extremely safe and very easy. You just have to mingle around, write new threads, reply to posts by others and you get paid for doing that.
Seriously, this is freaky.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Wait a minute...
...I thought I was invented by Sam Houston....
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
djm

Post by djm »

The money would be in copying the same bit of pointless drivel per thread to multiple dues-paying clients' forum sites, in other words - volume sales.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Cynth wrote: I couldn't make any money that way.
Try the "test" forum. It's a gold mine.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Flyingcursor wrote:
Cynth wrote: I couldn't make any money that way.
Try the "test" forum. It's a gold mine.
Don't be giving away our secrets like that!! What's wrong with you!?!? :boggle: :o :x