I need your help

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
roycustomknives
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by roycustomknives »

I am a novice at the irish whistle. I have a Waltons D whistle. I am not wealthy but I would like to buy a better quality sounding (tone)irish whistle. Can anyone suggest a brand and possible where to purchase them. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: roycustomknives on 2002-09-05 17:25 ]</font>
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Rene go to the main website of Chiff and Fipple and follow the links to cheap, medium expensive and high end whistles. Also check the reviews etc.

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
jmadjeski

Post by jmadjeski »

I really dig the Clarke sweetone for a super-cheap whistle. If you want to spend around $25, the "Tweeked" Clarke original is a fantastic whistle.

-joe
Don't you hate pants?
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

What about a Meg? $3.
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

The bang for the buck is the O'Briain Improved Feadog from Shanna Quay. The website is in Dale's list of where to buy a whistle on the Net. You will pay about $35 plus shipping, but if you spend less you may get an unplayable whistle like the Walton.
vaporlock

Post by vaporlock »

I think the best bang for your buck would be a Dixon D with brass tuning slide. They are available from http://www.thewhistleshop.com for $36. These whistles are on par with, or in some cases superior to many "high-end" whistles.

Good luck,
Eric
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

I can't disagree with Vaporlock, either. The two best whistles in this category are the O'Briain and the Dixon.
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

I can't comment on the Dixon, but the O'Briain Improved is a splendid whistle, well worth the cost.
fiddling_tenor

Post by fiddling_tenor »

I LOVE my Dixon!
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

I wouldn't recommend the OBriain Improved for a beginner, though. The low air requirements could be discouraging.
mike.r

Post by mike.r »

Why not grab another Waltons?You'd be amazed how diferent two seemingly identical whistles can sound.Brass generations have a great tone. Mike
joeln

Post by joeln »

Beth, I just got my O'Briain and from what you and others have said, was expecting seriously low air requirements. I was surprised that it fell right into the range of what I think of as "normal." Hoovers on the other hand fit my definition of low air requirement. Yes the O'Briain takes less than my Clarke, but just barely less than Gen's, Waltons and the Sweetone.
I'm not a great player, but I think the O'Briain would be a fine whistle for new players.
avanutria

Post by avanutria »

OK, well if he doesn't like it I'll take it off his hands :grin:

Actually between a low D coming and a celtic fest later this month I think I better hold off on any new purchases for a while - but someday I plan on having an Improved Obriain. :smile:
Gary

Post by Gary »

Feadog.

That is the only whistle that you need, in the low price category.

You want a Feadog.

A Feadog is all you need.

A Feadog is faithful & reliable.

Feadog.
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

I'm more curious about your handle, because I collect custom knives.

Regards, Philo