Eggs and Soldiers

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
izzarina
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Eggs and Soldiers

Post by izzarina »

I just found out what this was. It was in a movie...the mother asked her son if she wanted some eggs and soldiers, and he responded in the affirmative. So now I know that it's merely soft boiled eggs with toast cut up into strips. I feel so much smarter now :lol:
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

You learn something every day!
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Lambchop
antispam: No

Post by Lambchop »

I could have managed nicely today without learning that. Gack!

Nothing worse than a soft-boiled egg. Salmonella in mucus. Bleah!
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

I maintain that eggs are only properly eaten over medium.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Miwokhill

Post by Miwokhill »

I knew someone when I was a kid who had 2 little turtles; named them Sam and Ella.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Miwokhill wrote:I knew someone when I was a kid who had 2 little turtles; named them Sam and Ella.
:lol:
Jack

Post by Jack »

That's funny. I learned today that in Mexico people use "eggs" to mean a man's hidden parts, presumably because they're shaped similarly. :oops:
Innocent Bystander

Re: Eggs and Soldiers

Post by Innocent Bystander »

izzarina wrote:I just found out what this was. It was in a movie...the mother asked her son if she wanted some eggs and soldiers, and he responded in the affirmative. So now I know that it's merely soft boiled eggs with toast cut up into strips. I feel so much smarter now :lol:
Yeah, I didn't learn what they were until I was in my twenties. I am delighted it made you feel smarter. I think it had the opposite effect with me.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
chrisoff
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by chrisoff »

Lambchop wrote: Nothing worse than a soft-boiled egg. Salmonella in mucus. Bleah!
I love soft boiled eggs. haven't had one for ages though. and I've never had salmonella.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

chrisoff wrote:
Lambchop wrote: Nothing worse than a soft-boiled egg. Salmonella in mucus. Bleah!
I love soft boiled eggs. haven't had one for ages though. and I've never had salmonella.
Probably because you haven't had them in ages. The salmonella issue is a relatively recent development.

Is it as bad in Scotland as it is here? I seem to recall a UK chicken-filth-salmonella scandal recently, or was that just your generic bad-chicken scandal?
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Lambchop wrote:
chrisoff wrote:
Probably because you haven't had them in ages. The salmonella issue is a relatively recent development.
I'm thinking that in regards to a soft boiled egg, the yolk isn't any less done than a fried egg's yolk. Aren't they even kind of firmish, just a bit runny? Anyway, I don't know if there really is a risk of salmonella with soft boiled eggs, because I think they get hot enough to kill the salmonella off (but don't quote me on that...). Not that I care in the end, because I wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole...even the thought of them gives me the heebies :P
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

well there was a large number of salmonella cases in the late 80s and early 90s that gathered a huge amount of media attention. This resulted in strict quality controls being introduced to UK eggs so we probably don't have it too bad any more. It also served to educate people in the proper way to store and cook chicken and eggs to reduce the risk of salmonella. So the end result is that we don't have many cases of it.

A much bigger problem is e-Coli, with a number of recent outbreaks around here showing that the commerical food industry (butchers, caterers or school kitchens in these cases) still have a long way to go to improve hygiene and safety standards. But then on the whole these cases are still very much the exception rather than the norm in cae any of you were thinking of visiting Scotland and getting worried that I was telling you not to eat the food. we have an amazing array of restaurants serving food from all over the world (as well as some of the best local beef, game and fish you can find anywhere) that, frankly, I'm getting very hungry just thinking about.
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:
Miwokhill wrote:I knew someone when I was a kid who had 2 little turtles; named them Sam and Ella.
:lol:
I second the :lol:

I meant to add that I read a great short story once called "An Egg for the Major" about some British soldiers in North Africa during "the big one" who found a fresh egg for their Major after a stunning victory over the Italian army.
djm

Post by djm »

It seems ridiculous to me to assume that every soft-boiled or easy-over egg contains salmonella contamination. Think of the millions of eggs consumed every day cooked in these two forms. Half the population would be writhing in agony if it were really so wide spread. Let's get a grip, people. Besides, if the yolk isn't soft, how are you going to mix it in with your chips? I mean, really. :really:

If you want to get concerned about stuff, my paper just ran a week-long series of articles about the number of chemicals used on an every day basis that have never been checked for their effect on our health or the environment. Just about anything that was already in manufacturing use prior to 1960 has not been tested, or not been tested to anywhere near today's standards. Things like the family of chemicals used to make non-stick cookwear are now being discovered in us and the environment. The features that make them non-stick also make them never break down - ever. These aren't supposed to come off the pans, but our bodies are full of this stuff.

Or the ongoing "sudden" amazing discoveries that things like BPAs that are known to mimic human hormones, are in just about every plastic food container, have now been linked to prostrate cancer, which has risen at a wildly escalating rate in NA ever since plastic food containers were introduced.

There are so many things we could be worrying ourselves sick over nowadays that it seems silly to be picking on chickens eggs. I mean, at least its an all-natural form of illness, right? :D

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I know it may sound funny
But I likes me egg yolks runny
So I can dip my toast into the goo;
Just a dash of the Tabasco
Will ward off a fiasco
And save me from absconding to the loo.
I like my Eggs and Soldiers
With steaming cups of Folger's
(and crispy, smoky bacon by the way).
Just please don't overcook 'em
(if they don't like it, f*** 'em):
Oh, give me salmonella any day.

:D
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician