Who Do You Find Most Annoying?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

Who do you find most annoying?

Bono
28%
Gallagher (either or both)
38%
Morissey
19%
Van Morrison
6%
Kevin Rowlands
No votes
Bob Geldof
9%

Total votes: 32

Wombat
antispam: No

Post by Wombat »

Miwokhill wrote:I read somewhere that pub fights in Australia were just about the national past-time.
Don't believe everything you read about us. They do happen from time to time, I will admit.
Miwokhill wrote:In the fights in UK that you didn't start but had to beat a hasty retreat to avoid, you didn't by chance call someone Sunshine, did you?
Probably not. It's quite a common Cockney greeting though. It's not deeply insulting; just an expression of exasperation.

Nuances can be odd. If I greeted a rural Aussie with 'G'day y'old basmati' it wouldn't be taken as an insult so long as I said it in the right tone of voice.
Miwokhill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Miwokhill »

Your consistant good natured replys to my jibes show your true character.
Last edited by Miwokhill on Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Wombat wrote:If I greeted a rural Aussie with 'G'day y'old basmati' it wouldn't be taken as an insult so long as I said it in the right tone of voice.
That may be true most places.
Reasonable person
Walden
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Wombat wrote: ....
If I greeted a rural Aussie with 'G'day y'old basmati' it wouldn't be taken as an insult so long as I said it in the right tone of voice.
I have lived in Australia for more than 44 years and I have lived and worked and played in rural areas as well as urban areas and I cannot agree with you Wombat.

I have interacted with farmers, lawyers, trade union radicals, graziers, farm labourers, artists, dancers, academics, bureaucrats, musicians, refugees, petty clerks, tradesmen and jackaroos.

Darling, you cannot walk up to someone and say, "G'day y'old basmati" UNLESS you know the bugger. Believe me.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
Alan
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: From the land beyond beyond. From the time past hope and fear. I bid you, Genie, now appear! Well, the Genie did not appear but the notification to type at least 100 characters did so I am back and typing some more as you, if anyone actually sees this, can probably tell.

Post by Alan »

But you can call him darling, eh?

Strange place, this Australia...
Alan
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Alan wrote:But you can call him darling, eh?

I suppose darling is better than pookie or pookums. :D
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

Alan wrote:But you can call him darling, eh?

Only to people who don't listen to enough Eric Bogle songs. Australia and Scotland fully explained at a stroke. Having listened to 'The Band Played Waltzing Matilda', 'I Hate W*gs' and 'Now I'm Easy' a couple of times, and having watched Rolf Harris and Dame Edna Everage on television, I know all there is to know about Australia...

It's pretty much the same as England except for the following:

* It rains less in Australia
* The English rarely attach corks to their hats (the effect is wasted on a bowler)
* All Australians have Irish surnames
* Australian mice are much larger than English ones, and are called 'kangaroos'
* Australians are cultured enough to realise that beer should be cold
* The English, for no sensible reason, pretend that warm beer is not only tolerable, but that it is the only 'real' beer
* Australians can't nearly speak properly - but neither can English people under the age of 35, so that doesn't really count as a difference
* Australia is slightly larger than England
* The English are much better at cricket than Australians - however, as they are skilled at feigning incompetence, this superiority is not always recognised by foreign johnnies
* Hsitorically, the English have done far more harm than the Australians.

Otherwise, the two countries may be seen as identical in every respect... darling.

Edited to correct puctuation, but you'd never know it...
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
Bloomfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

It's a bit gaddy that you forgot to mention that everyone in Australia is called "Bruce" (especially in philosophy departments), except the Sheilas, who are called "Sheila."
/Bloomfield
herbivore12

Post by herbivore12 »

What I principally noted about Australia when I was there (aside from the fact that everything -- even some of the plants! -- can kill you) is that there must be a repository of stock phrases somewhere that all Aussies access in response to certain keywords.

For example, every single time we told an Australian man that we were in Australia to do some birdwatching, we got the response, "I like watchin' birds, too! The two-legged kind! Haw!" And they'd slap their thigh, or your shoulder. Every time.

It left us scratching our heads, too. I mean, they all have two legs (barring accidents), don't they?

Also, the hotels always put out canned spaghetti as one of the choices on the breakfast buffet.

Weird lot of blokes.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

herbivore12 wrote:What I principally noted about Australia when I was there (aside from the fact that everything -- even some of the plants! -- can kill you) is that there must be a repository of stock phrases somewhere that all Aussies access in response to certain keywords.
It's a pretty lethal environment. But you get used to it.
herbivore12 wrote:For example, every single time we told an Australian man that we were in Australia to do some birdwatching, we got the response, "I like watchin' birds, too! The two-legged kind! Haw!" And they'd slap their thigh, or your shoulder. Every time.

It left us scratching our heads, too. I mean, they all have two legs (barring accidents), don't they?
Let me put it this way. I had an English friend who visited America. He wondered why he got strange looks from his companions whenever he rushed into a shop saying 'excuse me a minute, I'm dying for a fag.'
herbivore12 wrote:Also, the hotels always put out canned spaghetti as one of the choices on the breakfast buffet.
That stuff is really treated as spaghetti. It's a snack food interchangable with baked beans and is available at just the same times. You eat it on toast—if you eat it at all.
herbivore12 wrote:Weird lot of blokes.
I can't really deny it.

Just keep your ears peeled and Bob's your uncle. She'll be apples.
Bruce.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Wombat wrote:
Miwokhill wrote:In the fights in UK that you didn't start but had to beat a hasty retreat to avoid, you didn't by chance call someone Sunshine, did you?
Probably not. It's quite a common Cockney greeting though. It's not deeply insulting; just an expression of exasperation.
Sunshine? Insulting? Exasperation?

That's clearly impossible. People call me that all the time.

Cupcake, too. (And Lambchop.) :wink:
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Without wishing to sound po-faced, I must say that when I visited Australia (Western) last year it blew all the stereotypes away for me. I met with nothing but friendliness, consideration and a distinct lack of the machismo I could have been led to expect (I'm not easily led! :twisted: ). In fact, everything you find in Cornwall (but not in London!).
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Walden wrote:
Wombat wrote:If I greeted a rural Aussie with 'G'day y'old basmati' it wouldn't be taken as an insult so long as I said it in the right tone of voice.
That may be true most places.
:lol: I think you're talking about a person you don't know, right? You wouldn't say that here to someone you didn't know, town or country. There's no tone of voice my husband and I could come up with that would make that sound okay. You'd get hit, or the person would think you were going to hit them or that you were insane and they'd be scared of you. Just a friendly warning from Iowa. If it's someone you know, I'd wait for them to say it first.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Cynth wrote: If it's someone you know, I'd wait for them to say it first.
OK Cynth. Your move. :wink:
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Bloomfield wrote:It's a bit gaddy that you forgot to mention that everyone in Australia is called "Bruce" (especially in philosophy departments), except the Sheilas, who are called "Sheila."
Just like Dagwoods and Blondies in the USA Bloomfield?

Hi ho Silver! Beep beep!

and ....................
what's up doc?
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit