Any smoking whistlers?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

Do you smoke?

Never
68%
Sometimes (not a regular)
12%
Regular smoker
20%

Total votes: 82

Henke
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Henke »

WHOA! 4 pages already, didn't think I was away for that long.
Good discussion anyway.

I've never been a regular smoker myself. I've been using snus for about 5 years (snus is the swedish tobacco thing where you put little bags of tobacco or ground, moist tobacco under your top lip). I've been off it for a couple of months but then I started a little bit again during my musical just to calm my nerves a bit :P I'm going to quit using tobacco and nicotin for real after the festival I'm going to next week.

About the performing while slightly drunk or slightly high debate, which seems to be fairly dead by now, I have nothing against people performing while under the influence of some drug as long as they do their job as good as they would have otherwise. I often dring a couple (although not more than 2 or 3) beers before or during a performance if it's in a pub or at a party or something like that. I don't think a couple of beers affect my playing in a bad way, as long as I don't drink more than 2 or 3.
As a musician you have a responsibility to deliver what the audience came to see as best as you can. As long as you fulfil that responsibility I see no problem with beeing stoned or drunk. You can't do that if you are too drunk or stoned, but if anyone does it fine after smoking pot or drinking alcohol, then go ahead. I don't think it has anything to do with not respecting the audience or the art.
I personally do not smoke pot or take any other illegal drugs. I have tried cannabis 2 times, but I like alcohol better. Smoking pot doesn't do it for me, and I wouldn't even think about trying something heavier. If anyone else feel like smoking pot then I have no problem with that.

We have a smoke ban now in public indoor places as well. I think it's a great idea, and all my friends who are regular smokers think it's a great idea as well.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Henke wrote: About the performing while slightly drunk ........ I often dring a couple (although not more than 2 or 3) beers before or during a performance if it's in a pub or at a party or something like that. I don't think a couple of beers affect my playing in a bad way, as long as I don't drink more than 2 or 3.

Riiiiiight choo errrrrr, mmm gud man....Hic! Image

Loren
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

I've found, several times, that after a pint or two I play easier on stage (*Note: I did not say "better"). I have horrible stage fright and I tend to tense up and go blank on stage.
There have been a few times I've been in the pub, just watching a band, and they've invited me on stage to do a couple of tunes with them. Now, on those occasions, I was not planning on performing so I had a pint or two while enjoying the band. I did notice those times that I didnt' worry so much about the audience and, instead, I focused more on myself and my music.
This doesn't mean that I have to have a couple of pints everytime before I get on stage... in fact, if I know that I'm going to be getting up there I either abstain from drinkin' or I limit myself to one drink until I'm done performing.
I wouldn't get my pants in a bunch over a musician who had a couple of drinks prior to going on stage but getting on stage while drunk or otherwise inebriated is something I find unacceptable.
I just don't think I could have a lot of respect for a musician that couldn't perform when sober.
Bretton
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

Loren wrote:
Henke wrote: About the performing while slightly drunk ........ I often dring a couple (although not more than 2 or 3) beers before or during a performance if it's in a pub or at a party or something like that. I don't think a couple of beers affect my playing in a bad way, as long as I don't drink more than 2 or 3.
Riiiiiight choo errrrrr, mmm gud man....Hic!
Loren
I used to always drink lot's of coffee at session but I found it made my fingers get twitchy...so I tried beer which made my fingers get sluggish.

I've now switched to Irish Coffee (just whisky & coffee, not that overly sweet whipcreamy stuff that they sell some places) which seems to be the happy medium for me.

-Brett
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Hmm, lots said about recreational drugs etc. Here's how I see it:

Yes there are shortcuts to be had, but it's like buying that stairway to heaven. You do deals with substances and they will have their payment - sooner or later - invariably before the stairway gets to heaven.

Evry young blade thinks he/she has got forever and it dosn't matter. I know I used to. These days, I simply cannot allow the "recreational" or "beneficial" tags go unchallenged in an open forum where someone might take it as tacit approval to go ahead and sign in blood.

This is just my experience - someone out there might come in with empirical evidence to show how "recreational" drug-use can enhance an otherwise fit human being without some kind of dangerous or retrgrade side-effect.

As pointed out earlier - every one is responsible for their own choices - but some choices are not easily un-done. I think it's fair that everyone should be aware before they choose.
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Mitch wrote:
This is just my experience - someone out there might come in with empirical evidence to show how "recreational" drug-use can enhance an otherwise fit human being without some kind of dangerous or retrgrade side-effect.
When I originally posted the words "Recreational Sunstances", my meaning for them was simply that, recreational substances. Not intended to enhance or expand the mind or the execution of the music being played, but used to have fun in addition to playing music. I do not think it is something that one should do while performing professionally as it really tends to rob the audience from an otherwise honest performance... but, I do admit to having a few pints and a few jars while doing so in the past. Ahhhhhh youth.
GaryKelly
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by GaryKelly »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:When I originally posted the words "Recreational Sunstances", my meaning for them was simply that, recreational substances.
Well, obviously. There's nothing wrong with Sunstances.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

heh ... it's not as if all my choices are heavenly ;) at least these days I know where my choices go.
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

GaryKelly wrote:
Joseph E. Smith wrote:When I originally posted the words "Recreational Sunstances", my meaning for them was simply that, recreational substances.
Heh.... fumbly finger syndrome, brought on by low levels of cofffee in the blood stream. :oops:
GaryKelly
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by GaryKelly »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:
GaryKelly wrote:
Heh.... fumbly finger syndrome, brought on by low levels of cofffee in the blood stream. :oops:
Low levels of the sunstance cofffee does it to me too! :)
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner