Let's Start An Australian Pipers Association

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
L42B
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Let's Start An Australian Pipers Association

Post by L42B »

Hi, I was wondering if there was any interest in starting an Australian Pipers Association. In my area alone there are about five pipers that I can think of. However I haven't been able to contact all of them.

Due to current education commitments I will not be able to help organise the event, but someone with more time on their hands might be interested. Although I would be willing to help with destributing club minutes e.t.c. I know of one piper who I'm sure would be willing to teach and a pipemaker from the same vasinaty who with some convincing might be able to do pipe maintenance/reed making. Adelaide had a pipersclub running for many years that use to meet at the Irish Associations Club. But over time the group seemed to go its sepperate ways. I'm guessing there are at least fifty or so pipers in Australia scattered over the contenant (if not more). There is at least two A4 sheets of contact details at NPU of Australian pipers.

Adelaide would probably be a good venue to hold a pipers Tionol. As it seems to be half-way between to of the main piping groups on the East and West coasts of this large continent. Virgin Blue seems to have a lot of connecting flights heading to Adelaide. So the price of airfairs shouldn't be too high for people.

I'd just be interested to see a show of hands who would be for the idea. If you know of any Australian pipers who are not part of C&F but would be interested in attending such an event. Let us know.

Cheers L42B :)
tompipes
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by tompipes »

Go for it,
It's a great idea.
Does Ray McNamara (Brians brother) still live in Ozland.

Tommy
ausdag

Re: Let's Start An Australian Pipers Association

Post by ausdag »

L42B wrote:There is at least two A4 sheets of contact details at NPU of Australian pipers.

:)
In that case it might be wisest to start by putting a letter in An Piobaire and a notice on the NPU forum. I think most Australian pipers aren't too concerned with C&F.
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/
giles b

Post by giles b »

I would be happy to be involved in some way or other.

I live in Adelaide so if it was decided to locate something here or in this area I could certainly help with that among other things.

I have some good friends in Ireland and the USA who are great pipers and may be able to be persuaded to come to Australia.

I think it would be great to get something going.
L42B

Post by L42B »

Hi Giles_b do you know of anyother pipers in your area (including Jack Brennan) who may be able to get some interest going.

Cheers L42B :)
giles b

Post by giles b »

I know of 4 pipers in the adelaide area besides myself who would probably be interested on some level or other.

It is hard to get people interested in being involved in organising as it is usually a thankless task.
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

I am not a piper.
If I recall correctly you only need five founding members to establish an association for registration as an incorporated association.
And there are a lot of federal tax exemptions for non profit associations which promote music. Your main pain will be the obligatory
Public Liability Insurance.

I was once a committe member of a classical music society
and in that whole year I don't ever recall playing any music.
Too busy organising concerts for others.

I feel that a more organic and less cumbersome way to promote Oz piping and fellowship
would be to set up a pipe band and tour the country and give concerts, workshops and the like.

And get together with pipers from other traditions - Macedonian, Turkish, Iberian etc. They are out there.

BTW Ausdag can you keep us informed of your concerts. I am often in Brissy from down south and its been about 20 years since I heard live Uilleann pipes. :)
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

talasiga wrote:
I feel that a more organic and less cumbersome way to promote Oz piping and fellowship
would be to set up a pipe band and tour the country and give concerts, workshops and the like.

And get together with pipers from other traditions - Macedonian, Turkish, Iberian etc. They are out there.
I am curious, just how many Uilleann Pipe Bands are there worldwide, let alone in Australia?

It seems to me that these critters are very rare, if they even exist these days.

There are gazillions of different bagpipe makes out there, practically every nationality has one form or another in it's history. A lot of them have their own clubs. An Uilleann Piper's club in Australia should be simply that, an Uilleann Piper's club. The subsequent gatherings for Uilleann Piper's, ought to be for Uilleann Pipes and the music played upon them.
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Joseph E. Smith wrote: ......
There are gazillions of different bagpipe makes out there, practically every nationality has one form or another in it's history. A lot of them have their own clubs. An Uilleann Piper's club in Australia should be simply that, an Uilleann Piper's club. The subsequent gatherings for Uilleann Piper's, ought to be for Uilleann Pipes and the music played upon them.
But of course Chief. Lets not have the Uilleann swallowed up in multi-ethnic mist. I agree.

I think was going towards a Pan Pipers Festival and I don't mean pan pipes. People could experience pipe sessions of the world. They could hold it at Cronulla in Sydney.

You know, I am suggesting a critical mass of global piping in Oz out of which the Uilleann Pipers would close ranks and distil as a group. You cannot deny the martial origins of the pipe and its association with distillations, can you?
Joseph E. Smith

talasiga wrote:
But of course Chief. Lets not have the Uilleann swallowed up in multi-ethnic mist. I agree.
... abso-friggin'-lutely NOT!!! It pains me to even imagine it.
talasiga wrote:I think was going towards a Pan Pipers Festival and I don't mean pan pipes. People could experience pipe sessions of the world. They could hold it at Cronulla in Sydney.
... but would Pan Pipes be allowed? Yes or no?
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

No pan pipes at the Pan Pipers' Festival.
Just like no Pan on the Pan Am. See ?
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

talasiga wrote:
BTW Ausdag can you keep us informed of your concerts. I am often in Brissy from down south and its been about 20 years since I heard live Uilleann pipes. :)
Well, another one won't be happening for two or three years as I'm off to Jakarta to work in about 4 weeks' time. If you're up that way ever, feel free to drop by.

I may try to make an appearance at the 30th annual Jakarta Highland Gathering which draws pipers (albeit GHB) and bands from around the globe.

Still, if you want, Adrian Jefferies' group does regular gigs at the QLD Irish Assoc in Bris. Send him an email and he'll let you know when he's playing next.

Plus there's the weekly session at the same venue Wednesdays from 7pm where there are at least two pipers present. I don't go to them though. I've given up on sessions - seem to attract tune-loonies and know-it-alls.

Cheers,

DavidG
Joseph E. Smith

talasiga wrote:No pan pipes at the Pan Pipers' Festival.
Just like no Pan on the Pan Am. See ?
Clear as mud. :D :lol:
The Sporting Pitchfork
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

ausdag wrote:
talasiga wrote:
Well, another one won't be happening for two or three years as I'm off to Jakarta to work in about 4 weeks' time. If you're up that way ever, feel free to drop by.

I may try to make an appearance at the 30th annual Jakarta Highland Gathering which draws pipers (albeit GHB) and bands from around the globe.

Still, if you want, Adrian Jefferies' group does regular gigs at the QLD Irish Assoc in Bris. Send him an email and he'll let you know when he's playing next.

Plus there's the weekly session at the same venue Wednesdays from 7pm where there are at least two pipers present. I don't go to them though. I've given up on sessions - seem to attract tune-loonies and know-it-alls.

Cheers,

DavidG
Are you flying from Brisbane to Jakarta via Sydney by any chance? Bit of a roundabout route, I know, but I hear it's common...Make sure the sniffer dogs at Sydney aren't mysteriously "off duty" the day you fly out and be sure to check your luggage first thing when you get to Jakarta. Wouldn't want someone putting some extra items in yer bags...Something tells me they don't get too many pipers in Indonesian prisons...
ausdag

Post by ausdag »

The Sporting Pitchfork wrote:
Are you flying from Brisbane to Jakarta via Sydney by any chance? Bit of a roundabout route, I know, but I hear it's common...Make sure the sniffer dogs at Sydney aren't mysteriously "off duty" the day you fly out and be sure to check your luggage first thing when you get to Jakarta. Wouldn't want someone putting some extra items in yer bags...Something tells me they don't get too many pipers in Indonesian prisons...
Nope. Brisbane-Singapore-Jakarta. This will be my 8 or 9th trip to Indo so I'm quite 'oh- far' (sorry, can't spell it the French way) with the way baggage is handled in Jakarta airport. Take some baby wipes to wipe the chalk mark off your suitcase, or a sticker of some sort to cover over the cigarette burn that the boys out the back put on (to indicate there is something valuable in your suitcase for customs to check and try to extort some money out of you for) prior to going through customs.