Length of Olwell C flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Length of Olwell C flute

Post by Bloomfield »

Inches or cm, doesn't matter. If someone could measure his/her Olwell C for me that would be great. Just the length.

Thanks!
/Bloomfield
Goldie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Length of Olwell C flute

Post by Goldie »

Bloomfield wrote:Inches or cm, doesn't matter. If someone could measure his/her Olwell C for me that would be great. Just the length.

Thanks!
I assume you mean the blackwood model, but in case you meant a bamboo one then the one I have is 63.5 cm
Colin
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Checking to see if your pockets are deep enough for an Olwell C, bloomie?
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Goldie wrote:
Bloomfield wrote:Inches or cm, doesn't matter. If someone could measure his/her Olwell C for me that would be great. Just the length.

Thanks!
I assume you mean the blackwood model, but in case you meant a bamboo one then the one I have is 63.5 cm
Colin
Thanks, I do mean the blackwood. I expect the bamboo is probably different since the bore doesn't taper.
GaryKelly wrote:Checking to see if your pockets are deep enough for an Olwell C, bloomie?
I've ordered a C corps de rechange, to go with my blackwood keyless D, so the financial impact is manageable, I hope. (And I don't want to have to adjust to another embouchure --- life is short.) Thinking about getting a case to accomodate both, so I'm just wondering about the length. I figure if I know the length of the C flute, and subtract the foot and the head joint, I'll know the length of the c-middle section (plus tenons, of course).
/Bloomfield
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

You could ask Pat to make the middle section in two pieces, so the C body will fit in the same length case as your D body Olwell.

Loren
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I don't have a C body, but from embouchure to end (or possibly the vent holes in the foot) should be a little more than 12% longer. That should get you within a cm or so.

Isn't it great to be able to order parts of a flute? I've ordered an Eflat body from Patrick and a one-key foot from Peter Noy. It not only saves money, but as Bloo pointed out, if you have a flute that fits perfectly, there's very little adjustment necessary.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
johnkerr

Post by johnkerr »

I don't have my flute at hand to measure it, but perhaps I can give you a rough answer anyway. I don't have the C corps de rechange for my D flute, but rather I have a full blackwood C flute with no tuning slide. Also I have the standard 6-key blackwood Olwell that makes me the envy of all on his waiting list. (Thankfully not the target, though, since I can't afford hired goons to protect me on the way to the session.) I mainly use a leather roll-up case, one of those that Patrick was selling a few years back that are basically an upgrade of the ubiquitous Cavallaro roll-up cases. I can get either one of my flues into this case, which has three pockets plus a fourth narrower one that can hold a whistle or a cleaning rod.

My C flute is actually made in four pieces: the headjoint, a fairly long piece that has the top three holes, a shorter piece that has the bottom three holes, and the foot joint. To store it in the case, I put the head joint in one sleeve, the long 3-hole piece in another sleeve, and then the short 3-hole piece and the foot joint hooked together in the third sleeve. (Patrick said it's okay to store the two pieces hooked together, as long as they're pulled apart a bit at the joint rather than pushed flush together.)

If you're getting a corps de rechange, as Loren said you could ask for it to be made in two pieces and then get it into your case in three parts the way I do. Since the middle section is going to be an inch or more longer than the D middle section, Patrick may make it in two parts anyway since it's sometimes hard to find a good piece of wood long enough to make a piece that long in one section. But if you're concerned by the possible length, just ask him and he should be able to split it up for you. Unless there are keys to worry about, I think it really wouldn't be an issue at all.

Another advantage of having the middle piece split up is that you can then rotate the two pieces independent of each other, which can help alleviate hand and finger placement issues.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Thanks for the responses. Loren, Pat said that in fact the C corps de rechange will come in two pieces since it's hard to get a good piece of wood long enough.

That's really interesting, John, what you say about the way you store the C flute with foot and first part of the middle section together. My plan is to get a custom case that would fit head & foot in one row, D middle section in the next and C corps de rechange in the third.

Thanks, chas, I'll break out the calculator.... :)
/Bloomfield
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

Bloomfield wrote:That's really interesting, John, what you say about the way you store the C flute with foot and first part of the middle section together.
That first piece of the middle section is called the heart joint, and I store my D flute (and my Bb) that way too....it's pretty standard practice to store Rudall-style flutes (and other flutes with a two-piece middle) this way. Headjoint and barrel joint go together in one part of the case, upper middle joint goes in another part of the case, and heart joint and foot joint are together in another.
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Bloomfield wrote:Thanks for the responses. Loren, Pat said that in fact the C corps de rechange will come in two pieces since it's hard to get a good piece of wood long enough.
Cool. Hopefully we'll cross paths one of these days and, perhaps if I'm really nice to you between now and then (fat chance, right?), you'll let me see how that C body sounds with my Olwell Headjoint on it.

Loren
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Loren wrote:
Bloomfield wrote:Thanks for the responses. Loren, Pat said that in fact the C corps de rechange will come in two pieces since it's hard to get a good piece of wood long enough.
Cool. Hopefully we'll cross paths one of these days and, perhaps if I'm really nice to you between now and then (fat chance, right?), you'll let me see how that C body sounds with my Olwell Headjoint on it.

Loren
*Bloomfield faints :lol:
/Bloomfield
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus