What's so great about being 50?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BigDavy »

Nano said
I entered my semicentenary condition last year.
This year for me yippee.

Early retirement, no more wage slave. A free man now.

It is heaven, waking up at the old getting up time, then turning over and getting some more sleep.

40+ pounds off my gut and my piping is improving(slowly). No down side as far as I am concerned. (Hey Deej, not all of the 50 mob are whining) :party: :D :D :lol:
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

The best thing about being 50.......I don't know I can't remember that far back. But I do know that it is better now.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

SteveShaw wrote:I'll tell you what I've found very heartening about this thread and I bet I'm not the only one. I thought I was the only hemi-demi-semi-geriatric around here and that you lot were all about 26. I can't believe so many of you are as ancient as me! Yay! :party:
I'll be 19 in August.

:twisted:
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

Congratulations wrote:
SteveShaw wrote:I'll tell you what I've found very heartening about this thread and I bet I'm not the only one. I thought I was the only hemi-demi-semi-geriatric around here and that you lot were all about 26. I can't believe so many of you are as ancient as me! Yay! :party:
I'll be 19 in August.

:twisted:
been there...done that :moreevil:
Jack

Post by Jack »

I feel very very old. I have an incurable chronic illness so I've gotten used to feeling much older than I am. Much like an older person, I cannot walk up steps, I sometimes have to use a cane to get around, and I take multiple prescription drugs every day. I even have gray hairs. :o

I wonder if all this means that by the time I reach 50 I will be dead. Image

This message has been brought to you in lovingkindness by Debbie Downer.
djm

Post by djm »

Nano wrote:my walker's in the mail
I have been three months in a walker and am trying to learn to walk on my own again (unsuccessfully). They are no fun to use, and not much to be looking forward to.
BigDavy wrote:Early retirement, no more wage slave. A free man now.
How'd you manage that, BD? The way things are going here, it looks like I will be working till I drop just to stay alive. They are even extending the age of forced retirement here past 65 just to avoid the cost of maintaining seniors.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

djm wrote:
Nano wrote:my walker's in the mail
I have been three months in a walker and am trying to learn to walk on my own again (unsuccessfully). They are no fun to use, and not much to be looking forward to.

djm
I'm most sorry indeed to hear it, djm. I was unaware of that. Profound hopes for your recovery.

I well remember my father having to learn to use one after the three preventative "lifesaving" surgeries that eventually caused his death. He was never without a walker for the rest of his days thereafter. I am fully aware I will doubtless have my day at one, too, hence my bon mot. Dark humor is a trait of mine.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Deleted due to cock-up. :D
Last edited by SteveShaw on Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

Cranberry wrote: I have an incurable chronic illness so I've gotten used to feeling much older than I am. Much like an older person, I cannot walk up steps, I sometimes have to use a cane to get around, and I take multiple prescription drugs every day. I even have gray hairs. :o
I have all those things except that it's downstairs I have trouble with. Still, I remain at the crease...
I wonder if all this means that by the time I reach 50 I will be dead.
You can't have both. :wink:

missy

Post by missy »

got 2 more years before the big 50. My kids say I'm prehistoric, anyway!!!

Tom is 58. He retired at age 52. He says he needs to go back to work to get a vacation, he's so busy. Poor baby......
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

missy wrote:got 2 more years before the big 50. My kids say I'm prehistoric, anyway!!!

Tom is 58. He retired at age 52. He says he needs to go back to work to get a vacation, he's so busy. Poor baby......
It's better to be prehistory than it is to be history... :wink:

LeeMarsh

Post by LeeMarsh »

Nice to hear mature voices. My age didn't bother me when I turned 50 a couple of years ago. What bothered me was when my son and step son turned 30. I grew up in a time where you didn't trust folks over thirty and now I have a children I can't trust because their too old :D

Grand Children also produce an aging affect. Not the first, that was was kind of cool but now that I have 3 with a fourth due in July, I have to deal with being a "Grand Parent".

As some folks may have heard from my previous postings; back in the 1970's I set a goal of becoming a wise old man, like my grand-dad. I figure when I hit 50 I was half way. I've now lived long enough to have sorted through some priorities. This wasn't a matter of age but more a product of the trama that everyone gets to live through over time. It gives you a since of humor. Or enough to find a chuckle or two in the items that started this topic.

While we're at it, I'll add another item to the above list. This one happend a couple of months ago.

You just smile when a complete stranger comes up and remarks that you look just like Santa Clause.

(Yep, my avatar is the real me, a couple of years ago).

I still think of myself as 20 something when I start doing things; however, now my body has lost patience with me and asserts itself. Usually with pops and creaks the morning after. This is also causing some mental confusion when I'm with my grand daughter. Perhaps my tolerance of cognative dissonance is a part of aging, I'm a 24 year old playing with my grand daughter. So what.

Which leads me to my other discovery; there must be a "So What" syndrome. I've become comfortable enough with who I am that if it doesn't measure up to someone elses expectations? "So What". For that reason alone, I'd prefer not to go back to my early years with its constant search for identity.

I also think age brings with it a certain amount of focus. Finding out what is important to me, as opposed to what I thought was supposed to be important because other's said so. Here is where music comes back in. Its important to ME. I will never be great, but I will always play or sing something. Luckily, I've found folks to play with that make that keep music a lively part of my life.
Enjoy Your Music,
Lee Marsh
From Odenton, MD.
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

How the heck are people retiring at 50 and 52??!! Not that it would do me any good if I knew. Like Ron, I don't recall 50 that well although I don't think I reacted strongly to it. My most recent birthday is another matter.

Sorry to hear about you having to use a walker DJM. That's a drag. My wife had to use one for a couple of months but is free of it now.
LeeMarsh

Post by LeeMarsh »

SteveK wrote:How the heck are people retiring at 50 and 52??!! Not that it would do me any good if I knew. ....
Me neither. You know those 'life traumas' I mentioned above that gave me a sense of humor? Well, they also made me younger financially. I figure I must be in my 20's now since I have about 30 years of work to do before I can afford to retire in my 50's :D
Enjoy Your Music,
Lee Marsh
From Odenton, MD.
AnnaDMartinez
Tell us something.: Good to be home, many changes here, but C&F is still my home! I think about the "old" bunch here and hold you all in the light, I am so lucky to have you all in my life!

Post by AnnaDMartinez »

I can tell ya what's fabulous about being almost 60. I can say exactly what I think about things, situtaitons and people and say it to thier faces if they are especially obnoxious. People do not ever have to guess where they stand with me at any moment. That is a luxury. When I get nasty, people dismiss it as age or encroaching senility. :D :D :D