Any smoking whistlers?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

Do you smoke?

Never
68%
Sometimes (not a regular)
12%
Regular smoker
20%

Total votes: 82

Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Just checked Roget's online thesaurus for "beery". Nada. Hmph. Some thesaurus.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Whistling Willie
Tell us something.: I love whistling and I have been a member of this forum for many years now.I have found it very informative and helpful over the years that I have been here.

Post by Whistling Willie »

I quit smoking 3 days ago now,most of the time it's ok,just now and then I get the urge which I have been able to resist,so far.
"Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated"
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

Whistling Willie wrote:I quit smoking 3 days ago now,most of the time it's ok,just now and then I get the urge which I have been able to resist,so far.
God bless you, that's a very difficult thing to do (quit smoking). I hope you're successful!!
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

Nanohedron wrote:pixilated
Aww...that one sounds so cute! Kind of like "twitterpated" or something. The next time I'm 3 sheets, I'm going to tell everyone that I'm pixilated instead. :party:

Oh, and I don't smoke. I did for a while, and I've been known to have the occasional cigarette when I am tremendously stressed, but other than that I don't.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Dave Parkhurst

Post by Dave Parkhurst »

Just what do you think killed Glenn Schultz?
Dave
"Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom..."
Screeeech!!!

Post by Screeeech!!! »

straycat82 wrote:I apologize, and although this may sound wishy-washy to some, I had actually intended to quote Mitch's statement.
It's not wishy washy to me, i've done a similar thing myself quite recently on another forum. :D
straycat82 wrote:I personally do not see any difference between a baseball player using steroids to boost performance and a musician smoking something to "heighten the senses" or whatever the substance in question may do.
The difference is that music is not a sport. I'm not competing against anyone. I'm doing my music in my way. I smoke pot occasionally because i like to explore certain aspects within my art that appeal to me, not to get one up on other musicians.

And sports have rules that competitors are to follow, to use performance enhancing drugs is cheating if it's against the rules. There aren't any rules as to how i should learn, create and perform my music, so therefore no cheating.

And to smoke a little pot to heighten the senses is no more lame than drinking a cup of coffee to wake you up in the morning.

?
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

I don't smoke, and never have, but likewise I don't have great lungs, so I still can huff and puff when I play.
Reasonable person
Walden
In The Woods

Post by In The Woods »

I smoked until about 16 years ago. REAL cigarettes (anything without a filter), cigars and pipe. I was having a good time with the stuff until I started getting sick regularly, and came down with one of those coughs that keep on until you gag. I decided that it was time to quit and I've stayed quitted to this day. Haven't had the urge to smoke. I think I'm allergic to tobacco smoke now. The cough took another six months to subside.

I also had an incentive to stop besides my health, although that's a major reason, for sure. I took up the Highland pipes about the same time, and I couldn't smoke and play the pipes, too. I'm still playing the pipes, but I'm smoke free. Anyone who can stop has my admiration. It's easy to stop in one way; I did it many times, as Mark Twain said.

Anyway, if you CAN stop, you'll be that much farther ahead.

With best regards,

Steve Mack
Ring the bells that still can ring.
Forget your perfect offering.
There is a crack in everything.
That's how the light get's in.

Leonard Cohen
Sylvester

Post by Sylvester »

In The Woods wrote:I took up the Highland pipes about the same time, and I couldn't smoke and play the pipes, too.
Why...? there are lots of holes in the chanter to insert the cigarrette :lol:
Reel
Asturian Air

Audare est Facere
Frederik Meesters

Post by Frederik Meesters »

I was suprised when i saw John Mc Sherry smoking in the interview with Phil Hardy. http://kerrywhistles.com/dl.php?group=5#

I guess he has a big long capacity or is not a regular smoker.
Sliabh Luachra

Post by Sliabh Luachra »

Coffee is my only remaining indulgence in this world. Quit drinking 17 years ago, quit smoking 10 years ago, and then 7 years ago, and then finally a year ago. . .

Mark
"Only a mediocre person is always at his best." -Somerset Maugham
CelloDog

Post by CelloDog »

Any of us "nonsmokers" who have spent time in smoky pubs, clubs and bars have consumed more nicotine than we'll ever know.

BTW: I hate to see anyone attacked for being open about their experinces and lifestyles as they relate to the whistle. Mr. Screeech! isn't the first to make the connection between cannabis and musical sensitivity. Is it delusional? Who knows (ask Bob Marley). I'm guessing it had something to do with DADGAD guitar tuning. :wink:
One of my favorite singers used to perform totally baked and she was wonderful (couldn't follow a set list though) :lol: . Takes all kinds.

I don't smoke anything anymore.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Dave Parkhurst wrote:Just what do you think killed Glenn Schultz?
Dave
This hurts so much because it is 100% true.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Dave Parkhurst wrote:Just what do you think killed Glenn Schultz?
Dave
Indeed, and let that be a warning to all whistle makers out there who are also smokers - you know who you are Image

Loren
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Whoa, have I just stumbled into an ALA/AAA meeting or what? :lol:
Everybody knows smoking will kill ya in time, but everybody has the choice to heed that bit of info, or not, as they see fit. The same goes for those who use recreational substances.

So what is the big deal?

I will agree that second hand smoke is nasty and just plain rude and inconsiderate. For that reason I do not smoke in my home... neither my wife nor my dog are smokers.

As for the usage of recreational substances, whose business is it, really? :-? It's all about choices here folks. Choose your own path, and allow others to choose theirs. :D