Lion 1 : Man 0

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Lion 1 : Man 0

Post by Bloomfield »

Reuters wrote:KIEV (Reuters) - A man shouting that God would keep him safe was mauled to death by a lioness in Kiev zoo after he crept into the animal's enclosure, a zoo official said on Monday.

"The man shouted 'God will save me, if he exists', lowered himself by a rope into the enclosure, took his shoes off and went up to the lions," the official said.

"A lioness went straight for him, knocked him down and severed his carotid artery."

The incident, Sunday evening when the zoo was packed with visitors, was the first of its kind at the attraction. Lions and tigers are kept in an "animal island" protected by thick concrete blocks.
Source

This strikes me as medieval: Man challenging God to prove His existence, as if God, by virtue of His love or charity, could be blackmailed. Like God isn't busy with stuff, and can keep watching for when they're trying to float the next witch or pick up hot coals and not get burned, or whatever. If I were God (and I am not, no matter what emmline says), I'd be like: "Sorry, dude, I gave you free will and you're just going to have to deal with the lioness on your own." Except I wouldn't be saying it, I'd be emoting it all over the universe and all the places where I decided not to put any universe but to just leave empty or universeless or whatever I'd call it.

P.S.: What's with the shoes?
/Bloomfield
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

God is the lion. God is the moron. This was a perfectly normal interchange of form to form. The only disconnect was the moron's inability to recognize this. Taking his shoes off was his mistaken and futile idea for making closer contact with what was already there.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

If he'd followed The Gourd, instead of The Shoe, he'd have been all right.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

I'm waiting for the rematch, I bet the guy does better the second time around.

Loren
Jeferson

Post by Jeferson »

I'm thinking he'd have been better wearing THESE ones and keeping them on. Oh well. Live and learn.
Well, let's just make that learn.
djm

Post by djm »

That is the power of reincarnation. :wink:

djm
gonzo914

Re: Lion 1 : Man 0

Post by gonzo914 »

Bloomfield wrote: P.S.: What's with the shoes?
God made the man take off his shoes to protect the lioness from eating them and getting a nasty intestinal blockage. Apparently, the lioness's relationship with her god was stronger than the man's relationship with his.

That's the problem with dieties -- you never know which one is going to turn out to be trump.
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

As a friend used to say, "Stupidity is its own reward." Same guy also used to say, "Killing you is God's way of telling you you f**ked up."
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
flanum
Location: Cavan via Dublin, Skerries, Donabate, Ballinagh, Cavan, Ballyconnell, Ballinamore, Athlone, Cavan,

Post by flanum »

It seems he was truly "twice shy" then.
Listen to me young fellow, what need is there for fish to sing when i can roar and bellow?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Bloomfield wrote:P.S.: What's with the shoes?
I'm guessing the fellow was a member of one of those colorful Russian religious sects, or at least had them in mind.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
herbivore12

Post by herbivore12 »

Well. This fellow miscalculated.
Bloomfield wrote:
Well, there's all those religions/sects where one must bare one's feet to enter the temple, and pilgrims to many holy places in many religions have to bare their feet, and there's the washing of bare feet qua Jesus and, now, the Pope, and wasn't Moses made to bare his feet to enter the holy land, or something (it's been a while since last I read the Bible)? Bare feet, god, entering the (wild) kingdom: they just seem to go together.

Or maybe they were too tight, his shoes.
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

What nerve to give God an ultimatum! He paid the ultimate price for testing his Creator.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

herbivore12 wrote:Well. This fellow miscalculated.
Bloomfield wrote:
Well, there's all those religions/sects where one must bare one's feet to enter the temple, and pilgrims to many holy places in many religions have to bare their feet, and there's the washing of bare feet qua Jesus and, now, the Pope, and wasn't Moses made to bare his feet to enter the holy land, or something (it's been a while since last I read the Bible)? Bare feet, god, entering the (wild) kingdom: they just seem to go together.

Or maybe they were too tight, his shoes.
I think you're right that there is good biblical precedent for taking your shoes off:
The King James Version wrote:Exodus 3:2 And the angel of the LORD appeared unto him in a flame of fire out of the midst of a bush: and he looked, and, behold, the bush burned with fire, and the bush was not consumed.

3 And Moses said, I will now turn aside, and see this great sight, why the bush is not burnt.

4 And when the LORD saw that he turned aside to see, God called unto him out of the midst of the bush, and said, Moses, Moses. And he said, Here am I.

5 And he said, Draw not nigh hither: put off thy shoes from off thy feet, for the place whereon thou standest is holy ground.

6 Moreover he said, I am the God of thy father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob. And Moses hid his face; for he was afraid to look upon God.
But perhaps the Japanese tradition of taking your shoes off before a meal is more apposite. After all, I wouldn't want to be served a steak that is wearing shoes.
/Bloomfield
djm

Post by djm »

I suppose tracking camel dung into the tent was a big issue back in Biblical times .....

djm
herbivore12

Post by herbivore12 »

Bloomfield wrote: After all, I wouldn't want to be served a steak that is wearing shoes.
But then there's the French, and their love of horse.