The truth about HFCS

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
flanum
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Cavan via Dublin, Skerries, Donabate, Ballinagh, Cavan, Ballyconnell, Ballinamore, Athlone, Cavan,

Post by flanum »

Cranberry wrote: Nobody eats pantyhose.
Listen to me young fellow, what need is there for fish to sing when i can roar and bellow?
amar
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

:wink:
Jack

Post by Jack »

I wonder if Julia Child ever cooked her pantyhose?
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Cranberry wrote:I wonder if Julia Child ever cooked her pantyhose?
Probably not on purpose.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

jsluder wrote:
Cranberry wrote:I wonder if Julia Child ever cooked her pantyhose?
Probably not on purpose.
There's Beano® for that.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Cranberry wrote:Anything that ends in "ose" (fructose, lactose, glucose) is sugar.

Or so I've been told.

It depends on whether or not you think sugar is bad, I guess.
Waldcose is not bad... and after only 18 years, the FDA is considering lifting the ban on it.
Reasonable person
Walden
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Sugars aren't necessarily bad as such. The sugar types and degrees of refinement count, I think. For example, honey and raw sugars have nutrients that you wouldn't get out of refined products.

White table sugar, for instance, undergoes a long series of processes and chemical treatments to bleach it, make the flavor consistent, and make it dissolve more readily. Don't like the idea of that at all.

I had relatives who were bakers many years ago, and their primary sugar of choice was dextrose, being sweeter than sucrose so they didn't have to use as much of it. Whether that was out of a sense of economy or the wish to keep sugar content down for nutritional purposes, I'm unsure. I have no idea where dextrose stands in the "bad sugars" spectrum, if there is one.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

It's funny, in my world HFCs are hydrofluorocarbons, an ozone-friendly substitute for chlorofluorocarbons (e.g., Freon)! HFCs are now used in automobile air conditioners (HFC 134a) and some building/room air conditioners and heat pumps.
hyldemoer

Re: The truth about HFCS

Post by hyldemoer »

Flyingcursor wrote:High Fructose Corn Syrup.

Is it an abomination? Is it as bad as some would claim or no worse than table sugar?
Are we talking a "pick your poison" sort of thing?
Of all the sweeteners on the market its the artificial ones that frighten me the most,
but I'm none too crazy about most of the natural ones either.

Boy howdy, do I love those Weston Price crazies!
Here's what they say about the subject.
http://www.westonaprice.org/modernfood/ ... ctose.html
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Re: The truth about HFCS

Post by Flyingcursor »

hyldemoer wrote:
Flyingcursor wrote:High Fructose Corn Syrup.

Is it an abomination? Is it as bad as some would claim or no worse than table sugar?
Are we talking a "pick your poison" sort of thing?
Of all the sweeteners on the market its the artificial ones that frighten me the most,
but I'm none too crazy about most of the natural ones either.

Boy howdy, do I love those Weston Price crazies!
Here's what they say about the subject.
http://www.westonaprice.org/modernfood/ ... ctose.html

I read that one. Interesting. Well I'm still avoiding the high fructose corn syrup if only because cutting down sugar in any form will help me lose more weight.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

amar wrote:
Cranberry wrote:Anything that ends in "ose" (fructose, lactose, glucose) is sugar.

Or so I've been told.

I'd rather say, anything ending in -ose is a carbohydrate. Like, I wouldn't consider cellulose as a sugar, not sure if one can, from a chemical standpoint, either. Well, not anything, but you know what I mean.
but I could be wrong
Isn't cellulose basically glucose with a different chirality?

As far as high-fructose corn syrup, I dunno that there is anything bad about it per se. Fructose and corn sugar (can't remember the name) are very similar single-ring sugars, which means they're very easily metabolized, and they're both naturally-occuring sugars made AFAIK in normal ways. OTOH, I likely steer clear of most foods that have the stuff in them. I prefer my empty calories in beer.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
missy

Post by missy »

chemistry lesson time:

Sucrose (common table sugar) is a carbohydrate (a molecule made of carbon, hydrogen and oxygen). It's chemical formula is C12, H22, O11. It is a disaccharide and is made up of two monosaccharides - fructose and glucose. Sucrose must be broken down in the stomach into those two monosaccharides by hydrolysis in order to be able to be absorbed into the blood system.

Fructose is a mono-saccharide. It's chemical formula is C6, H12, O6. Glucose actually has the same formula - but glucose is a ring structure, where Fructose is a straight line molecule.

What this all basically means, as far as the human body is concerned, is simple (mono) sugars such as fructose are absorbed a LOT quicker by the body then di (complex) sugars such as sucrose, that need to be broken down first. So you get a sugar "buzz" a lot faster with fructose or glucose then you do with sucrose.

And, just another little tidbit - sucrose is not just a ring structure, it is what is called a "chair" form in the way it presents in space. It has -OH groups sticking off of it at 8 points. Olean (olestra), the "fake fat", is made by removing those -OH portions and sticking long chain fatty acids (from vegetable oil) on each of those 8 sites - making a huge molecule that cannot be absorbed through the intestinal wall.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

chas wrote:
amar wrote:

Or so I've been told.

I'd rather say, anything ending in -ose is a carbohydrate. Like, I wouldn't consider cellulose as a sugar, not sure if one can, from a chemical standpoint, either. Well, not anything, but you know what I mean.
but I could be wrong
Isn't cellulose basically glucose with a different chirality?

yeah, I think it's a polysaccharide with glucose as its monomer.

As far as high-fructose corn syrup, I dunno that there is anything bad about it per se. Fructose and corn sugar (can't remember the name) are very similar single-ring sugars, which means they're very easily metabolized, and they're both naturally-occuring sugars made AFAIK in normal ways. OTOH, I likely steer clear of most foods that have the stuff in them. I prefer my empty calories in beer.
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Thanks Missy and Amar. That explains it. I had read that fructose was a complex molecule. That was apparently incorrect blather.
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

I love all sugars equally.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up