Pictures of your childhood!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Alan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: From the land beyond beyond. From the time past hope and fear. I bid you, Genie, now appear! Well, the Genie did not appear but the notification to type at least 100 characters did so I am back and typing some more as you, if anyone actually sees this, can probably tell.

Post by Alan »

Alan
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Alan, that is an absolutely wonderful photo.
Reasonable person
Walden
Denny

Post by Denny »

Walden wrote:Alan, that is an absolutely wonderful photo.
second! That's great!
aderyn_du

Post by aderyn_du »

These pictures are so great! I love Tony H.'s little swirl on the top of his head. I wish I had a picture of my hair in a whale spout, or in my Princess Leia buns...but all my really good geeky photos are packed up at the moment.

Here's one of me at the age of 3 or so:

Music melts all the separate parts of our bodies together. ~Anais Nin
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

That's me in 4th grade, in a 50's style aerobics performance (complete with the parachute dancing so popular in school back then)...heh ;)
scottielvr
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by scottielvr »

emmline wrote:... My brother and sister are watching our great-grandmother carve turkey. I can see from these pics that my years of lurking in the background as an observer started early as my brother impressed everyone with his IQ and my sharp and competitive sister (phi beta kappa, summa cum laude, Kenyon College) scraped and clawed to keep up. I generally found it easier to hang back and keep my own counsel than to jump into the fray with those two.
Emm, your photos, for (presumably) casual holiday snapshots, capture an amazing amount of facial expression and body language; very telling. Or maybe it's just hindsight. :wink: In the first one, I was particularly struck by the way your brother is clutching his "stuff," and the set of his head, and your expression. In the second one, again, there's so much in your position, and the look on your face...and your brother is still hanging on to his loot, that can thing (which vaguely reminds of a toy, something you built stuff out of...but I can't remember the name, dang it). ... I had a similar dynamic with my brother, so I can relate.

Everyone's photos are wonderful...keep them coming! Here're a few of mine:

Me with my grandmother. One of the many reasons I adored my grandmother was that she would let me do stuff like sitting on that parapet, because I just wanted to, and neither of us worried about messing up my fancy outfit.
My mother, brother and me in Victoria Park, Bath, England. Showing a little leg. I could get away with that, then.
Same park. This time bro had to wear his dorky school uniform. Hah.
I started my bad habit of dreamily staring out of windows quite young, it seems. Explains a lot.
Bro and dad and me, St. Simon's Island, Georgia. That house was cool, to a little kid; during storms, the waves came up all the way onto the veranda. We loved it; my mother hated it. My mother loved my geeky pixie haircut; I hated it.
:wink:
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

aderyn_du wrote:These pictures are so great! I love Tony H.'s little swirl on the top of his head. I wish I had a picture of my hair in a whale spout, or in my Princess Leia buns...but all my really good geeky photos are packed up at the moment.
We've yet to see a photo of you which was not absolutely lovely.
Reasonable person
Walden
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Me in infancy.

Reasonable person
Walden
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

I managed to dig out a few ancient pictures from the sunny long ago.

This was taken in California circa '61/62. I'm the one in the tree alongside my sister and cousin.

This was a bit later on. My mother is in the background.

I'm the Devil and the little girl in the bonnet is my sister, who was born in LA. The other two are our cousins. The girl with the curly hair is now an FBI employee in LA. Don't tell gilder I have a cuz in the FBI

Slan,
D. :)
Last edited by dubhlinn on Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

L to R, my sister Katheren, myself, my mother, my two cousins below my mother, my father, my dad's mother (grandmother) below my father , My aunt Kathleen and my uncle Gene.

Taken at my home in the northwoods of Minnesota, Lakewood Township. What you do not see here is the total length of my hair... it extends another foot and a half down my back. :D
Last edited by Joseph E. Smith on Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:51 am, edited 7 times in total.
emmline

Post by emmline »

scottielvr wrote:... that can thing (which vaguely reminds of a toy, something you built stuff out of...but I can't remember the name, dang it)
Tinkertoys! (or some knock-off thereof.)
scottielvr wrote: My mother loved my geeky pixie haircut; I hated it.
Why is that always the case? I had one in first grade, at my mother's encouragement. Hated it. I remember my "never again" sentiment to this day.
Cynth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cynth »

I just love when this thread comes up so this morning is a real treat. I must have somehow missed it the last couple of times. All the new pictures are so great, from babies to teenagers---everyone is a cutie-pie. The different styles, houses, backgrounds----everything is so interesting.

I have a question for dubh. Under the first picture you say you are in a tree alongside your sister and cousin. I have looked and looked but all I see is a debonair little dude between some ivy and a house. Where is the tree, sister and cousin? :lol:
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
emmline

Post by emmline »

Walden wrote:Me in infancy.

Elvis was your uncle?
emmline

Post by emmline »

Cynth wrote:I have a question for dubh. Under the first picture you say you are in a tree alongside your sister and cousin. I have looked and looked but all I see is a debonair little dude between some ivy and a house. Where is the tree, sister and cousin? :lol:
I have the same question. Cute kid, but no tree.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

emmline wrote:
Cynth wrote:I have a question for dubh. Under the first picture you say you are in a tree alongside your sister and cousin. I have looked and looked but all I see is a debonair little dude between some ivy and a house. Where is the tree, sister and cousin? :lol:
I have the same question. Cute kid, but no tree.
Very strange :boggle:

When I look at my post I see this.

I can't log on to image shack at the moment..some sort of server issue, but the photo that Cynth and Emm refer to is on that server anyway so I assume there is some temporary glitch in the system.

I'll fix it up as soon as I can get into the website.

Slan,
D. :-?
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats