Beaded Rocks Rock

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
AnnaDMartinez
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Good to be home, many changes here, but C&F is still my home! I think about the "old" bunch here and hold you all in the light, I am so lucky to have you all in my life!

Beaded Rocks Rock

Post by AnnaDMartinez »

I know, it's been a while, but remember a few folks asking me to see pictures of what I did with the rocks they so generously sent me. So...

Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Nice!
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Congratulations
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Congratulations »

I bet those feel really cool (in addition to being pretty).
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
djm

Post by djm »

Congrats wrote:I bet those feel really cool
I suspect that would depend on the rate of velocity at point of impact.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

I especially like the ones in the topmost pic. Reminds me of my times in "East River" South Dakota and the contacts I had with the D/N/Lakota people I got to know.

Mitakuye Oyasin.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
missy

Post by missy »

those are gorgeous (and time consuming to make, I know).

What size beads do you use? Everything I've loomed or peyote stitched I've used size 10 beads. Some of the things I've seen done in size 13 are absolutely amazing (for those of you that don't know, the bigger the size number, the smaller the bead).
Now that we no longer have a Tandy store here, I've had to get most of my beads off of eBay. I've got boxes of them downstairs, but I just don't seem to have the time to DO anything with then anymore!
My major project in the past was doing a loomed strap for my dulcimer. It's about 4 feet long, and 25 beads wide (I think - it's been a while - I'd have to go count). Background was white, and I did stylized tiger lilies on it in yellow with brown tones, and orange with black, on a white background, with green leaves.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
AnnaDMartinez
Tell us something.: Good to be home, many changes here, but C&F is still my home! I think about the "old" bunch here and hold you all in the light, I am so lucky to have you all in my life!

Post by AnnaDMartinez »

Congratulations wrote:I bet those feel really cool (in addition to being pretty).
Oh, yeah, they have a nice feel in the hand, only one big problem, they are fragile, believe it or not. I think the appeal is that they are SO useless!
AnnaDMartinez

Post by AnnaDMartinez »

djm wrote:
Congrats wrote:I bet those feel really cool
I suspect that would depend on the rate of velocity at point of impact.

djm
Never threw 'em or put 'em in my wrist rocket, but I did plant a couple outside my doc's office in Spearfish, thinking everyone here was so honest they'd look and wonder and maybe even marvel, but ya know, every single one of them was gone when I got out. Either people were not as honest as I had hoped, or...it was fun though, and a work of art, minor, but grand anyhow.
Last edited by AnnaDMartinez on Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AnnaDMartinez

Post by AnnaDMartinez »

Nanohedron wrote:I especially like the ones in the topmost pic. Reminds me of my times in "East River" South Dakota and the contacts I had with the D/N/Lakota people I got to know.

Mitakuye Oyasin.
Of course the Lakota poeple inspired them! I have a few Lakota friends I love dearly. I've given quite a few away, that were on rocks I fished out of Spearfish Crick, and if anyone wants to learn how to make them, I'll glady show them, but most of my beading NA friends, are baffled about how I do that! Those rocks simply form into Lakota tyosipaye and families and families, they tell me what clothes they want to wear, and then they tell the viewer their stories. Of course, every viewer brings their own story to them.
AnnaDMartinez

Post by AnnaDMartinez »

missy wrote:those are gorgeous (and time consuming to make, I know).

What size beads do you use? Everything I've loomed or peyote stitched I've used size 10 beads. Some of the things I've seen done in size 13 are absolutely amazing (for those of you that don't know, the bigger the size number, the smaller the bead).
Now that we no longer have a Tandy store here, I've had to get most of my beads off of eBay. I've got boxes of them downstairs, but I just don't seem to have the time to DO anything with then anymore!
My major project in the past was doing a loomed strap for my dulcimer. It's about 4 feet long, and 25 beads wide (I think - it's been a while - I'd have to go count). Background was white, and I did stylized tiger lilies on it in yellow with brown tones, and orange with black, on a white background, with green leaves.
Missy! What a treat to find another chantraphile! (I am not a bead junkie, I am not a bead junkie.) I use 11's on the larger rocks, and delicas (disasters waiting to happen) on the smaller ones. Thirteens when I can get them cheap, and sometimes even those expensive Japanese 15's! If I'm gonna sell some, they have to work up fast. I have to give away most of my earrings, because they are so damn labor intensive, but my Gallery did sell a pair for what I wanted! YAY!

I don't buy off e-Bay, especially the Delicas,too expensive, but have a few connections for cheap beads, which I'll gladly share. I don't do loomed work anymore, it's too fragile, but I do do flat peyote and a lot of squre stitch which passes for loomed. It takes time though.

Your dulcimer strap sounds yummy! MMMMM! Please post a picture of it! Please! Whine and cheezy smile, please, I love to look at other people's work! (I have the three year old whine that gors out the top of the head and irritates the *&!$ out of adults...)
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Anna Martinez wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:I especially like the ones in the topmost pic. Reminds me of my times in "East River" South Dakota and the contacts I had with the D/N/Lakota people I got to know.

Mitakuye Oyasin.
Of course the Lakota poeple inspired them! I have a few Lakota friends I love dearly. I've given quite a few away, that were on rocks I fished out of Spearfish Crick, and if anyone wants to learn how to make them, I'll glady show them, but most of my beading NA friends, are baffled about how I do that! Those rocks simply form into Lakota tyosipaye and families and families, they tell me what clothes they want to wear, and then they tell the viewer their stories. Of course, every viewer brings their own story to them.
I'm baffled how you do it, myself.

I'd forgot the word tiyospaye. Thanks for bringing it back to memory. And "chantraphile" stopped me for a moment, there, wondering where pipering came into it. :wink:
Jack

Post by Jack »

WOW!

I remember way back when you asked us all to send you rocks. I can't remember if I did or not. :oops:

Those are gorgeous! I have to try that now!
scottielvr

Post by scottielvr »

Nanohedron wrote: ....I'd forgot the word tiyospaye. Thanks for bringing it back to memory. And "chantraphile" stopped me for a moment, there, wondering where pipering came into it. :wink:
Thank you, Anna; your work is lovely, and I also got to learn two, count 'em, two, new words! Tiyospaye made for some interesting reading.
:wink:
AnnaDMartinez

Post by AnnaDMartinez »

Nanohedron wrote:
Anna Martinez wrote:

Mitakuye Oyasin.
I'm baffled how you do it, myself.

I'd forgot the word tiyospaye. Thanks for bringing it back to memory. And "chantraphile" stopped me for a moment, there, wondering where pipering came into it. :wink:

You, my dear, are not a beader, and I won't show you, Mystery you know! Hum, maybe I could do one in davidson clan plaid? Ya think? Oh Chanterphile , a lover of chanters? YUCK! :tomato:
AnnaDMartinez

Post by AnnaDMartinez »

scottielvr wrote:
Nanohedron wrote: ....I'd forgot the word tiyospaye. Thanks for bringing it back to memory. And "chantraphile" stopped me for a moment, there, wondering where pipering came into it. :wink:
Thank you, Anna; your work is lovely, and I also got to learn two, count 'em, two, new words! Tiyospaye made for some interesting reading.
:wink:
I wasn't sure I spelled it right, my Lakota friends are to polite to laugh at me when I mispronounce things or tell them I am illerterate. I'm not around Lakota speakers all the time. Tiyospaye is a great concept.