AFRICAN CELTIC?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
billw
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

AFRICAN CELTIC?

Post by billw »

I was looking up some information on anime otaku on the Web today and chanced across this link: http://www.johnjohn.co.uk/radio_baka/gati.html It's streaming audio and works best at something above 56K, but slower will still work. the Celtic influence is unmistakable, especially in the fiddle and whistle work.

have fun with it. It's some very cool music!
Bill[/url]
Ye Olde Whistlesmith Saying:
A whistle without a fipple, is just a piece of leaky pipe!

Click the WWW and come have some fun with poems and music and now BOOKS! and check out the preeeety whistles and the T-shirts with attitude! :D
Wombat
antispam: No

Post by Wombat »

I can't play that at home but, from the URL, it might be connected to Martin Cradick's recordings that combined his own Celtic tinged songs with field recordings amongst the Baka (better known as pygmies.) They came out a few years ago under the name Baka Beyond. Spirit of the Forest was the best of them.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Yep, I guessed right. Here's a link:

http://www.baka.co.uk/bakab/Baka_bio.html

and here's the album I was talking about:

WhistlinBob

Post by WhistlinBob »

Try listening to the Afrocelt sound system they have a varied repetoire of celt laced afro rrthyms
a one anda two anda three. I would like you to meet my whistle instructer Charles.

[A bad day of Whistlin is better than
any day at work!!!]
Thomas-Hastay
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Thomas-Hastay »

I suggest "Afro-Celt Soundsystem". Fantastic contemporary dance music with bagpipes and techno-synth. And Maybe take a wild ride with Renaissance techno group "Qntal" (yes thats the spelling. pronounced "kin-TAL")
"The difference between Genius and stupidity, is that Genius has its limits" (Albert Einstein)
thomashastay@yahoo.com
ShadowBG625
Tell us something.: I've been a member of the forum for several years. Just poking my head to catch up on all the latest happenings, as well as checking out the FS/WTB page.

Post by ShadowBG625 »

I think that this is just a vocal composition, however it fits the subject:

An Afro-Celtic Diddle
Brigitte

Post by Brigitte »

Thomas-Hastay wrote:I suggest "Afro-Celt Soundsystem". Fantastic contemporary dance music with bagpipes and techno-synth. And Maybe take a wild ride with Renaissance techno group "Qntal" (yes thats the spelling. pronounced "kin-TAL")
thought I correct the spelling :D , as Qntal is a German group their name is spelled Quantal, not that it matters ... here usually in the independent label section or gothic/medieval, brilliant voices, so if you like Qntal you also may like "Deine Lakaien" but here I only could recommend the older albums. Both can be put in the same category as Dead can Dance which has some more irish/african influences I find than the two. DCD very good to my ears and they have reunited and even were touring last year also the US.... we saw a great concert in Cologne end of last year.

Brigitte

If I find time to go through our CDs at some point, I am pretty sure I can list quite a bit of african/celtic music but at the moment we have to recover from the shock of having fire in the house yesterday, no people nor cats were hurt only material damage and stinks a lot... I want to write something about this in the pub as it was a major learning curve we had at 6.30 in the morning...... and I am sure, some of that could be helpful for others.... :o
Wenn die Klügeren nachgeben,
regieren die Dummköpfe die Welt.
(Jean Claude Riber)
Nick Metcalf

Celtic and world music fusion

Post by Nick Metcalf »

you guys who enjoy cultural diversity in your music might like this blend of Irish and world music (including African)
It's my new Cd so I hope Darkwing duck doesn't ban me for posting this (you know DW?)
Anyway here's a link you can listen to clips and stuff.
http://www.deluxband.com/store.html

Nick Metcalf

You can find Nick's music online at:
Wombat

Re: Celtic and world music fusion

Post by Wombat »

Nick Metcalf wrote: It's my new Cd so I hope Darkwing duck doesn't ban me for posting this (you know DW?)
Why would you expect to be banned, Nick? I don't detect any violation of the board's commercial posting policies.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Wombat wrote:
Nick Metcalf wrote: It's my new Cd so I hope Darkwing duck doesn't ban me for posting this (you know DW?)
Why would you expect to be banned, Nick? I don't detect any violation of the board's commercial posting policies.
Well, the cassock's pushing it a bit, but we'll let it go. :D

Just kidding, of course. :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Nanohedron wrote:
Wombat wrote:
Well, the cassock's pushing it a bit, but we'll let it go. :D

Just kidding, of course. :)
Quite right. We can't speak for the Chruch. Well, I can't speak for the Church. I think that's Gonzo's job.
Nick Metcalf

?

Post by Nick Metcalf »

A bit lost wth the cassock and the church stuff, but sure, thanks!
Nick Metcalf

Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: ?

Post by Nanohedron »

Nick Metcalf wrote:A bit lost wth the cassock and the church stuff, but sure, thanks!
The dark jacket with the "Nehru"-type collar in your pic (that's dating myself). A cassock is a Roman Catholic priestly garment, pretty much the same thing worn by Keanu Reeves in that 2nd Matrix movie. Of course, your jacket doesn't reach the ground, but I couldn't resist. :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Nick Metcalf

now I get it.

Post by Nick Metcalf »

ahh yes, well hopefully the music will make up for any lack of styling in my wardrobe, although I will be a pastor soon... graduating June 18 yay!
but the suit is just cause I like it. :lol:
Nick Metcalf

blackhawk

Re: ?

Post by blackhawk »

Nick Metcalf wrote:A bit lost wth the cassock and the church stuff, but sure, thanks!
I have one of your Dad's CDs. Good stuff.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato