retirement, where?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Congratulations
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Congratulations »

fel bautista wrote:So it appears we will be here in So Cal for the medium term.

<sigh>
How tragic. :lol:
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Lambchop
antispam: No

Post by Lambchop »

Hmmm, so you're saying that Asheville is a nice place? I should get a transfer there, do you think?
Miwokhill

Post by Miwokhill »

The only problem about charting a place to retire to is by the time you end up going there every kid and his pet monkey (not talking about you cranberry) have gotten there first. I ran into someone who said they were going to rent or buy an RV and travel around for a year or two scouting locations.

Sounds like a couple of good suggestions already though. Someone told me they were heading to Taos, New Mexico. I said 'isn't it hot in New mexico' They said, 'Not in Taos...high desert.' ...only problem is what i mentioned about everyone else going there once it becomes the place to be.
emmline

Post by emmline »

BigDavy wrote:Why not try Scotland

David
Yeah, maybe I will.
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Right were I am right now. It has three out of the four first stated, and since fresh water is going to be a major problem in the not so distant future, being in the heart of the Great Lakes is where I will be.

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
djm

Post by djm »

I can't see either of the Carolinas or Florida qualifying. The Carolinas are so hot and humid its like a swamp suspended in midair, and all three states get nailed with hurricanes and tropical storms every year. I personally would go with the Pacific Northwest, but you would still have to deal with the periods of rain and the occasional tectonic event.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Bloomfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

How about Tuscany? Don't know about the sessions, though.
/Bloomfield
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

djm wrote:I can't see either of the Carolinas or Florida qualifying. The Carolinas are so hot and humid its like a swamp suspended in midair, and all three states get nailed with hurricanes and tropical storms every year. I personally would go with the Pacific Northwest, but you would still have to deal with the periods of rain and the occasional tectonic event.
The mountains of western NC (wherein lies Asheville) are not remotely as hot and humid as eastern NC.

I agree about the Pacific NW, though; I love the climate here. (Oh, and those "tectonic events" in the Pacific NW include volcanoes as well as earthquakes. :) )
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
djm

Post by djm »

I've never been to Oregon or Washington, but I have heard the mountains there are even higher than the ones in BC. Its a future trip I would like to take some day.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Slude dude says Tír na nÓg,
Big Davy says Scotland.
Bloomfield says Tuscany.
I was going to say Ireland.

They're all good. Guido does Sessions in Verona - there may be sessions in Tuscany as well. If enough of us retire there, we can arrange it!
We might have to avoid the Blairs though. And the Berlisconis.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Sliabh Luachra

Post by Sliabh Luachra »

If money is not an issue, then San Francisco would fit your requirements.

Mark
"Only a mediocre person is always at his best." -Somerset Maugham
Henke
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Henke »

I'm a little young to retire, just turning 20 this year :lol:
But I have always imagined myself becoming a munk when I retire. Probably a buddhist munk if there will be a possibility. I like to live my life until I retire with 6th gear in at all times. You know, "live fast (but not the die young part), then take it easy, spend the rest of my life contemplating, getting closer to myself and to nature and so on.
It's a beautiful thought. But it's probably not a possibility to you, and therefor it doesn't contribute much to this thread

[OT]

About the "live fast, die young, leave a beautiful corpse" mentality, I am a little bit attracted to that thought as well. I mean, I would rather live 30 eventful, exciting and rewarding years, put a huge footprint on this earth and go out in a blaze of fury than live 80 slow, boring years and fade away in a hospital bed. I mean, it's not like you plan to die young, but I don't think you should fear living life at the fullest just because you're afraid of something. What do you guys think?

[/OT]
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Yeah, my first thought was Asheville. Chapel Hill, NC might even fit,
depending on your definition of "too humid". Asheville is much further
removed from any hurricane activity, but it does snow more often.
Asheville definitely has the better view.
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

Henke wrote: About the "live fast, die young, leave a beautiful corpse" mentality, I am a little bit attracted to that thought as well.
Used to say "I don't care if I never grow old,
The flame's gonna burn, take one quick turn
and be gone like James Dean.
Now we don't say that,
It's too late to die young.
So here's what we do.
We sit at the table long after supper and the good wine.
Hey, Hey.
Hey, Hey,
Who woulda thunk it.
Who woulda thunk it.

Who Woulda Thunk It by Greg Brown.

Note. I did that from memory. Sorry if it's not exact.
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Henke wrote: About the "live fast, die young, leave a beautiful corpse" mentality, I am a little bit attracted to that thought as well. I mean, I would rather live 30 eventful, exciting and rewarding years, put a huge footprint on this earth and go out in a blaze of fury than live 80 slow, boring years and fade away in a hospital bed. I mean, it's not like you plan to die young, but I don't think you should fear living life at the fullest just because you're afraid of something. What do you guys think?
I plan on starting those 30 eventful, exciting and rewarding years the day I hit 65.