Irish flutes

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
nancy mcduff

Irish flutes

Post by nancy mcduff »

I
'Ive gotten some very helpful info from this site before, but I'm still a little confused. Are the keys on the flute use to play in a higher octave or to be able to hit more sharps and flats? I've had some recommendations for a Tipple PVC flute, a Casey Burns folk flute, and a bamboo flute. Keep in mind that I am a beginner. I have played around with the penny whistles and love them. I do not want to invest a lot in a flute until I see if I'm capable or even like to play one. Finger positioning might be a consideration since I have small to medium hands. Would love to here any ideas on this subject. Thanks.

Nancy
Congratulations
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Congratulations »

Keys on an "Irish" flute are used to hit the notes not present in the D scale, not really for playing in the higher octaves (although they come in handy for that, sometimes, I hear). Beginners don't often get keyed flutes, as they are more expensive, and the general consensus is that you're better off going keyless for a while, anyway.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Bretton
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

Hi Nancy.

The keys are for hitting sharps and flats.

The stretch is significant on many flutes (I have small/medium hands). Casey Burns' flutes are the most comfortable I've played.

However, your fingers will stretch out over time, but it's a little painful at first (it was for me anyway).

-Brett
Denny

Post by Denny »

There is no octave key on a flute. On a simple system flute the keys are all to raise the fingered note a 1/2 step. The fingerings are the same as a D whistle.

The Tipple and CB Folk flute are both good flutes. You will be able to work on getting your embouchure going without wondering if it is the flute or you.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

The CB folk flute is easier to finger than the Tipple--
the latter is cylindrical, the former is conical,
and it's easier to get the holes closer together
on a conical flute. The bamboo flute is
cylindrical too, so these will be tougher
to finger.

If you don't like the CB flute, you can sell it.

As people are saying, keys are for a couple of years
down the road, if ever.
I.D.10-t

Third is the word.

Post by I.D.10-t »

A good write-up is here.
http://www.mcgee-flutes.com/keys.html

Note nancy mcduff, I am a novice and this is just trying to expand on the question.

I would like to add that sometimes the keys do seem to give different options in the third octave as shown for a six keyed flute that may help the third octave at times.

http://www.mcgee-flutes.com/SixKeyFluteV4.pdf

Note E6 And F#6. Granted, I do not believe that ITM would abuse the player by subjecting them to the higher octaves, but I do wonder if the added keys help.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Unseen122
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

If you can spend the extra cash, go for the CB Folk. If you can't, the Tipple is a good choice and/or an Olwell Bamboo if you can find one although that may go for just as much as the CB Folk.
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Congratulations wrote:Keys on an "Irish" flute are used to hit the notes not present in the D scale, .......
I find this to be the most succinctly correct answer so far both from a theoretical and practical perspective. It is also short and sweet. I commend this answer to you Nancy even though Congratulations may not agree with me.
:party:
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
Congratulations
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Congratulations »

talasiga wrote:
Congratulations wrote:Keys on an "Irish" flute are used to hit the notes not present in the D scale, .......
I find this to be the most succinctly correct answer so far both from a theoretical and practical perspective. It is also short and sweet. I commend this answer to you Nancy even though Congratulations may not agree with me.
:party:
I thought it a rather nice statement, as well. :)
oh Lana Turner we love you get up