A gigantic f*rt! So this is what it comes to....

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
MarkB

A gigantic f*rt! So this is what it comes to....

Post by MarkB »

global warming is a big f*rt!

Emmeline said
Well, if the Chiffboard were ever NOT way ahead of me then the Mississippi would flow north, the polar ice caps would melt,
From the BBC:

Arctic's tropical past uncovered

"Fifty-five million years ago the North Pole was an ice-free zone with tropical temperatures, according to research."

"Basically, it looks like the Earth released a gigantic f*rt of green house gases into the atmosphere - and globally the Earth warmed by about 5C (41F)."

Full story: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/5034026.stm

I think I would be cautious in what I would ask for.

MarkB
Everybody has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.
Ann
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Ann »

Its good to know that the Earth has mechanisms to bring things back in balance, like that fresh water fern.

Its hard to imagine the world farting. My Mom always uses the word "foof". Its a much better word in that it sounds polite, almost french. Plus the pronounciation of "foof" accurately mimicks the silent yet deadly aspect of a good stinky f*rt. The Earth foofed.
djm

Post by djm »

Unfortunately, a well placed foof also displaces oxygen, and what many such articles aren't mentioning is that there was about 20% less oxygen in the atmosphere during these warmer eras. It is likely that we big-brained creatures could not have developed or survived in so much lower oxygen levels.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
DavidT

Post by DavidT »

djm wrote:Unfortunately, a well placed foof also displaces oxygen, and what many such articles aren't mentioning is that there was about 20% less oxygen in the atmosphere during these warmer eras. It is likely that we big-brained creatures could not have developed or survived in so much lower oxygen levels.

djm
Thanks. That explains the idiots on the road during rush hour in the summer.
Hi. My name is David and I'm a whistleholic.
Rod Sprague

Post by Rod Sprague »

Someone could write a novel about the impart of a sudden release of green house gasses happening now and call it “Atlas Farted”.

Rod
Miwokhill

Post by Miwokhill »

Uh, about your calculations; 5C is 41F but if the temperature goes up by 5C that doesn't mean it rises by 41F...Celius is based on water freezing at 0 and boiling at 100. On the Farhenheit scale water freezes at 32 and boils at 212. I think the ratio is 5 /9, you do the math, it doesn't go up 41F for 5C though.
Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

F = ( C * 1.8 ) + 32
F = ( 5 * 1.8 ) + 32
F = 41.0

C = ( F - 32 ) * 0.5555
C/0.5555 = ( F - 32)
( C / 0.5555 ) + 32 = F
F = ( 5 / 0.5555 ) + 32
F = 41.0009

:-?
herbivore12

Post by herbivore12 »

A one-degree-Celsius change in temperature is equal to about a 1.8-degree-Fahrenheit change.

A 5-degree-Celsius change is equal to (5 x 1.8 degrees)*=9 degrees change in Fahrenheit.

A temperature of 5 degrees Celsius is indeed about equal to 41 degrees Fahrenheit. But if the temp rose another 5 degrees, to 10 degrees Celsius, you'd be sitting in a room that was 50 degrees Fahrenheit, more or less.

That was clumsy writing in the quoted piece, for sure.

*Edited because the stupid auto-emoticon crap here turns "8<end parentheses>" into 8), which is, I think, really stupid and annoying and evil. Is there a way to stop that from happening?
Denny

Post by Denny »

herbivore12 wrote:A one-degree-Celsius change in temperature is equal to about a 1.8-degree-Fahrenheit change.

A 5-degree-Celsius change is equal to (5 x 1.8 degrees)*=9 degrees change in Fahrenheit.

A temperature of 5 degrees Celsius is indeed about equal to 41 degrees Fahrenheit. But if the temp rose another 5 degrees, to 10 degrees Celsius, you'd be sitting in a room that was 50 degrees Fahrenheit, more or less.

*Edited because the stupid auto-emoticon crap here turns "8<end parentheses>" into 8), which is, I think, really stupid and annoying and evil. Is there a way to stop that from happening?
just need to add some space...
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

herbivore12 wrote: *Edited because the stupid auto-emoticon crap here turns "8<end parentheses>" into 8), which is, I think, really stupid and annoying and evil. Is there a way to stop that from happening?
:swear: :boggle: :devil: :party: :twisted: :moreevil: :sniffle: :wink: :P :oops: :cry: 8) 8) 8)

Click on the "Disable Smilies in this post" tab
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Bloomfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

Denny wrote:
herbivore12 wrote:A one-degree-Celsius change in temperature is equal to about a 1.8-degree-Fahrenheit change.

Just need to check the "disable Smilies in this post" box.

The silly intern who supplied the Fahrenheit conversion in the article didn't understand the differences between absolute measurements (5C = 41F) and relative changes (5C increase = 9.5F increase).
/Bloomfield
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

Some might think that a 9 degree Fahrenheit increase in global average temperature isn't very dramatic, but it is. The current global average temperature is only about 59 degrees F (15 degrees C). Averages hide a wide ranges of extremes. If the average temperature of the globe climbs even a few degrees there can be enormous changes in climate (not just temperature) on the local and regional levels. The impacts of a 9 degree F warming from today's average temperature would be devastating in many parts of the world.
emmline

Post by emmline »

Rod Sprague wrote:Someone could write a novel about the impart of a sudden release of green house gasses happening now and call it “Atlas Farted”.

Rod
That's a really good idea.
btw, we always referred to it as "pooting."
Denny

Post by Denny »

Bloomfield wrote:
Denny wrote:

Just need to check the "disable Smilies in this post" box.

The silly intern who supplied the Fahrenheit conversion in the article didn't understand the differences between absolute measurements (5C = 41F) and relative changes (5C increase = 9.5F increase).
Yes Bloo, but I wanted a smiley :D

...and to see how long it would take someone to notice my stupid post and show what it should be... :twisted:
Miwokhill

Post by Miwokhill »

Clicking on the BBC article, listed in the opening post here, seems to show the culprit as one Appy Sluijs, palaeoecologist from Utrecht University in the Netherlands. In subsequent temperature conversions though the correct comparison between C and F is made. As you were just saying the mistake was in taking the rise in C (5 degrees C) and then just giving what 5C is in F (41 F)

Maybe he's kind of like Ross from friends who somehow one day became a professor of paeontology. I guess he was sitting around the coffee house reading dinosaur books those early years. Who knew?!