John Gallagher Pratten-style six-key: photos

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
herbivore12
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

John Gallagher Pratten-style six-key: photos

Post by herbivore12 »

I thought I'd finally post some (bad) pictures of the 6-key flute I received from John Gallagher at the end of last year. What I learned taking these pictures: I really need a better digicam, with manual focus; getting an autofocus camera to take a picture of something black, or of, say, a hole like the embouchure, is a lesson in futility. Argh.

So here they are:

The whole shebang:

The headjoint (the head, you'll note, is not fully lined):

The tuning slide (I don't know if it will show, but the slide is sheathed in a thin sleeve of blackwood, and there are grooves cut in the sheathe every 1/8" or so for tuning reference, which is a nice touch):

The endcap (the cork is screw adjustable, and as with the tuning slide, there are marks on the silver pin in the center of the cap to indicate the cork placement as you twist the cap to adjust):

And the footjoint, just because:

This flute survived a long soak in floodwaters (my house was essentially destroyed in flooding on New Year's Eve); a thorough cleaning and some time to let the wood reach equilibrium again, and all's well. Well, except the long F key is a bit sluggish, despite the cleaning; I'll be sending the flute back to John for him to check it out and get the key working to its previous fine speed, and to give the whole flute a once-over after its ordeal. That reminds me to get an e-mail out to him to arrange for that.

The flute is wonderfully finished and lovely to see; John is clearly a craftsman who cares about detail. He's also a super-nice guy, and will talk on the phone into the wee hours about Irish and American folk music, or about the world generally.

And yes, it plays great, too, for all its beauty. Loud or quiet, it's flexible and responsive. Better players than I am -- John had Ivan Goff and Louise Mulcahy each play it while they were teaching in Elkins -- thought it a fine flute, too.

I'm having a good time with it, though I'm still a clumsy key-user when playing tricky tunes at speed. Fumble fumble.
Winded

Post by Winded »

I have one of these for sale if anyone is interested. Though my is an 8 key flute. It's only 4-5 months old. Perfect condition. I paid $3540 for it which is what John charged for it. Now I need the $$. PM me if interested. Make me an offer.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Vewwy sexy!
KateG

Post by KateG »

elegant! I particularly like the veneer on the tuning slide.
Unseen122
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

That is one nice Flute.
eilam

Post by eilam »

Aaron, that's one beautiful art piece.
i like all the touches like the covered slide, unlined head, stopper mechanism, even the foot ring being set in.
looks like oval embouchure?
have you played a Hammy? how do the two compare?
so nice to hear from you on the board, hope you recovered from the flood, what a weird winter we had !!
yours, e.
herbivore12

Post by herbivore12 »

eilam wrote:Aaron, that's one beautiful art piece.
i like all the touches like the covered slide, unlined head, stopper mechanism, even the foot ring being set in.
so nice to hear from you on the board, hope you recovered from the flood, what a weird winter we had !!
yours, e.
E! Good to hear from you! Winter was a wild ride, wasn't it, in all kinds of ways . . .

I like all the little touches, too. I didn't even specify some (for instance, the screw-adjustable endcap and the foot ring's being set in, which is a detail I'm very fond of, for some reason; you can't see it on the photo, but there's another hair-thin groove decorating the flute just below that last ring. I did ask for a partially-lined head, as I've liked the sound I've had from flutes with that setup.).

Yep, oval embouchure.

I've only played a Hammy once or twice, quite a while back. I don't think I could make a fair comparison between them, since I changed so much as a player in the intervening years. Sorry!

I do find the Gallagher to be pretty easy to fill -- almost as easy out of the box, for me, as the Olwells I've played more recently, which all seemed pretty user-friendly. I think the embouchure cut might demand a little more focus than an Olwell, but it's easy for me to find the sweet spot, and the tone is really flexible, from big and fat and round to a drier, reedy blast. It didn't take me long to get used to the flute -- except for the keys, like I said -- but I can tell it still has plenty of room for me to (try to) grow into.
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

herbivore12 wrote:
eilam wrote:Aaron, that's one beautiful art piece.
yours, e.

E! Good to hear from you! Winter was a wild ride, wasn't it, in all kinds of ways . . .

I like all the little touches, too. I didn't even specify some (for instance, the screw-adjustable endcap and the foot ring's being set in, which is a detail I'm very fond of, for some reason; you can't see it on the photo, but there's another hair-thin groove decorating the flute just below that last ring. I did ask for a partially-lined head, as I've liked the sound I've had from flutes with that setup.).

Yep, oval embouchure.

I've only played a Hammy once or twice, quite a while back. I don't think I could make a fair comparison between them, since I changed so much as a player in the intervening years. Sorry!

I do find the Gallagher to be pretty easy to fill -- almost as easy out of the box, for me, as the Olwells I've played more recently, which all seemed pretty user-friendly. I think the embouchure cut might demand a little more focus than an Olwell, but it's easy for me to find the sweet spot, and the tone is really flexible, from big and fat and round to a drier, reedy blast. It didn't take me long to get used to the flute -- except for the keys, like I said -- but I can tell it still has plenty of room for me to (try to) grow into.
Hi,
Sorry to hear about your flood! Blackwood is pretty resiliant stuff, though.
I had the privledge fo borrowing Nelson's Gallegher Cocobolo small holed R&R, great flute! I liked his Emb. hole design, he has that oval emb. hole down pat. The keywork is excellent. He fumed the cocobolo so it looked like cocuswood. Nelson is the only one with a cocobolo flute as he became allergic to the wood like me, after making Nelson's flute.
Jon
PS Hi Eilam!
spittle
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by spittle »

I'd have to agree with herbivore's assesment of John's embouchure requiring a bit more focus than an Olwell. I've played both for exteded periods of time and John's take a bit more lipping for me to really get it to sing. However, the extra-work has given me a 'walnut-cracking' (to borrow Gary's euphamism) embouchure. I play other flutes more easily and with better tonal\volume control than I did prior to owning this flute.

I also agree that the little classy touches that John pays attention to all add-up to make a beautiful instrument both aesthetically and tonally.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I like the cut on the backside of the blowhole, too. May be just the way the photo works, but it looks like just the kind of blowing edge I'm after.

<sigh>
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
herbivore12

Post by herbivore12 »

Cathy Wilde wrote:I like the cut on the backside of the blowhole, too. May be just the way the photo works, but it looks like just the kind of blowing edge I'm after.

<sigh>
Well, you can't have mine, even with your langourous sighing and puppy-dog eyes.

Feminine wiles used to work on me, but then I was married for a time. Now my heart's of stone. Go swoon at somebody else.

:wink:
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

HAH! You think I was swooning at you?

I was swooning at your flute, trying to charm it out of its California home and into winging its way eastward on the strength of my psychic wiles.

;-)

Actually, I'm warming up for when I take my Murray over to John's shop for some work later this summer. I figure I need to be in shape to fall all over the place as much as I undoubtedly will.

But you just gave me a thought....THANKS! I'm off to hatch my evil plan.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
herbivore12

Post by herbivore12 »

Cathy Wilde wrote:HAH! You think I was swooning at you?

I was swooning at your flute, trying to charm it out of its California home and into winging its way eastward on the strength of my psychic wiles.

;-)
Thus explaining my grip troubles earlier when I picked the thing up for a few tunes. It seemed to suddenly have a marked tendency for pulling to the east. I wound up facing the mirror, nearly scaring myself to death.
Actually, I'm warming up for when I take my Murray over to John's shop for some work later this summer. I figure I need to be in shape to fall all over the place as much as I undoubtedly will.

You may want to bring a chaperone, too, because John is one nice, smart guy, and by all accounts, a great musician. At least eat a good meal beforehand, or you'll feel faint.
But you just gave me a thought....THANKS! I'm off to hatch my evil plan.
I'm weighing whether I should send a warning to John in advance, now.

Going to Elkins this year, then? Wish I was able to; have fun for those of us stuck at home.