Choosing a low whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
millsy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by millsy »

I've been wrestling with the problem for weeks now, and I still can't decide what to buy.

I've narrowed the field to two... A Shaw, or a Howard, but I've never played low whistle before, although I've been playing my Clarkes and Generations for a few years.

Am I making the right choice here?
blackhawk
antispam: No

Post by blackhawk »

My first low D was a Howard, and even though I've moved up, I'm not sorry I started there.
ChrisLaughlin
antispam: No

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Don't buy a low D Shaw. You're more likely to be able to blow up a tire on a single breath than play the A part of a tune on the Shaw. Trust me... I play whistle, low whistle and flute. I know.
Howard... buy an Overton if you can scrape a little more dough together.
Chris
mike.r

Post by mike.r »

Millsy, the transition from high to low whistle can be a fairly daunting experience especialy if you pick a low D with wide hole spacing like I did with my susato. Low G or F by any maker in the beginning is a good way to prepare yourself for a good low D such as an Overton later on.Peace, Mike
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

I found in the past that the comfortable low transition whistle was a G at first. I guess you can get a Low D and work slowly on airs etc. at first. However, just a couple of notes. First, the Shaw in any key is a beautiful and classy instrument but requiring easily more breathe than any other whistle. Second, the Howard (also my first Low D)has a nice sound but the holes are wide and can be difficult to cover.

I just saw a Copeland Low D for sale on the Board; if you can afford it and you know the seller....

Philo
PS - I got my Copeland second hand from a Board member (someone known to me)and that's one that comes with me into the afterlife.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

The Howard is a good low D, especially
for starters. It's light, it's easy
to play (the point about big holes
seems to apply only if one has
particularly slender fingers). And
it sounds good, too. Interesting
sound. Not terribly demanding
about air or breath sensitivity.
As Dale has
said, the Howard is underrated.
I don't think you'll find
the size an obstacle, after
you get used to it--which
should be pretty quickly.

I like the sound of the Howard better than the
Overton, but in this I'm certainly
alone. The Overton is nearly as easy to play
as a Howard.

The Copeland is wonderful, it's
my favorite low D, but I wouldn't
start there. Big, heavy, breath
sensitive, demanding, expensive. My two
low Ds now are the Copeland and
the Howard. I think the Howard is
a good place to start low Ds.
nickt

Post by nickt »

I wouldn't look any farther than an Overton - the new style by Bernard is lovely.

However, no-one's yet mentioned Dixon - these are a lot cheaper, have excellent sound, holes aren't too far apart or large, and it overall presents as an excellent first low D.

Poor old Millsy - probably really confused now!
andy

Post by andy »

Just curious if any players out there who own a Howard, like myself, and are having any problems with the high A and B in terms of getting an even half decent tone out of either of these notes. Maybe its me!!
See ya Andy.
Additional-- currently saving up for an Overton!!
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

As a fellow Brit, I'd have to say of your two choices, get the Howard.

My Shaw High D is just playable after much tweaking; I'd hate to think how much breath a low D takes.

I've tried a Howard and liked it; though I don't have one yet, it's on my Christmas list.

I do have a Dixon, and for homeplay it's all I need. Might get drowned in a session, but I'm a long way from playing it in a session.

If you can get an Overton, it's the best in my book (I have a low F that is gorgeous), but the fingerholes could have been chamfered for comfort. Still, you get used to that.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
Jens_Hoppe

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

Hi Millsy,

Please also see my reply to your post in the Clips & Snips section. :smile:

Given a choice between a Shaw and a Howard low D, I'd take the Howard in a second. It has a <i>very</i> nice sound, and doesn't take unreasonable amounts of air (but you are still required to "lean into" the upper octave quite a bit). However, I must say the Howard does have very big holes. I don't have exceptionally thin fingers (merely slender :smile: ), and I had more difficulty playing the Howard up to speed than any other low D I've tried (more or less).

For low D beginners I always recommend a Dixon: It has small fingerholes, an easy reach, doesn't require very much air, isn't very loud, and has a lovely sound. For something more outspoken, I'd go with an Overton or a Kerry Pro style of low D.

Finally, if you've never tried a low D before, you might be better off getting a smaller low whistle first (say, low G or F), and "work you way down" to the big guys step by step.

Cheers,
Jens
Pan

Post by Pan »

nickt,

what is this new Bernad Overton "Overton" you mention, what is special about it, soundwise and construction-wise?

/Peter
Kenith

Post by Kenith »

By all means get the Dixon as your first. I got a Shaw low D and found out quickly I did not have the wind to play it properly. Buying a second hand Dixon online was the move for me. Once I got used to the stretch, I finally got an Overton low D, by far one of the best whistles made.

Ken
nickt

Post by nickt »

Pan - it's the same in terms of construction as the Overton originals and the Goldie ones, but Bernard has made the tube about 2cms longer, made hole 6 smaller and positioned it closer to hole 5.

For reasons that neither BO nor I understand, it sounds better, and of course it's easier to play as the reach isn't so long. However, you must specify to Bernard that that's the design you want.

I'll post hole-spacing dimensions tomorrow
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

What has driven me bats about Overtons
is the sound--the 'cosmic drainpipe'
sound, as Dale has put it. I don't
like it, but everybody else does.
Dale likes it.
I want to like it! But it sounds
like, well, a drainpipe. I think
it's monotonous and uninteresting.
I wouldn't say this online if anybody
agreed with me.
A soul in torment...

P.S. Andy, there shouldn't be any problem
with the highest A and B on the Howard.
However older Howards had a problem there
until the whistle head was redesigned
and maybe you have an old whistle head?
I believe new heads are purchasable solo
from Howard over the website. Even with
the old whistle head the notes were
attainable--but it takes strength, control, determination and a powerful belly.
Finally it can be done. Courage, mon brave.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jim stone on 2002-09-03 11:53 ]</font>
Pan

Post by Pan »

nickt, thanks!

Hm, this makes it hard to choose which one to go for.

In what way do you feel "your" design sounds better?

/Peter