Anyone have experience recording with an iRiver H140

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
BrendanB
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Anyone have experience recording with an iRiver H140

Post by BrendanB »

I was hoping to get people's feedback on whether this is a good choice for recording sessions and the like? Ideally, I'd like to have a device that records in stereo and has sound quality at least as good as a minidisc. The big issue is that I would really like to be able to transfer the recording files directly to my computer. I just don't have the time and patience for chopping up minidisc tracks.

Thanks,
Brendan
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Hi Brendan,

Yes, that's what I use all the time. I can email you a few example soundclips recorded on it if you like. Azalin also uses one, I know for sure.

It's really easy to record, but you will need some sort of editing software on your PC. I use GoldWave, though of course there are many other options.

I use my iRiver to record from tapes using line-in, and for live recordings, and of course have ripped most of my CDs onto it.

I also recently got a 250GB remote hard drive to back up all my iRiver files, in case the iRiver should meet with tragedy.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

There's been quite a bit of discussion about this in the various boards over the past year; you can find some info by doing a search.

Basically, though, there are two main choices for accomplishing what you're after: hard disc recorders like the iRiver, and compact flash or SD card recorders like the Edirol R1 and R09, a couple of units from Marantz and one from M-Audio.

My main concern with using a hard-disc recorder is that you're putting all your eggs in that one hard disc basket...if you spill beer on your iRiver or if you drop it, you can easily lose everything you've recorded. But with a flash or SD card recorder, even if the machine itself is toast you can still take out the card and transfer any music that you recorded on it to your computer with a card reader. In that respect the flash and SD card recorders are more like a minidisc or cassette tape recorder -- you're recording onto removeable media. Furthermore, the flash units record without any moving parts, they're solid state, which means they're quieter and potentially more reliable/durable.

Unfortunately all of the flash and SD recorders out there seem to have issues...I've heard the Edirol R1 is flimsy and it's certainly bulky, and M-Audio has a reputation for putting out poor-quality products (although I've heard mostly good reviews of their unit so far). And they're all expensive.

My strategy is to keep using my minidisc recorder until it dies...it's about 7 or 8 years old now but is still working flawlessly...when it does finally bite the dust, I assume there'll be a lot more choices of recorders available, the prices will come down, and the bugs will be worked out.
daiv
antispam: No

Post by daiv »

bradhurley wrote:There's been quite a bit of discussion about this in the various boards over the past year; you can find some info by doing a search.

Basically, though, there are two main choices for accomplishing what you're after: hard disc recorders like the iRiver, and compact flash or SD card recorders like the Edirol R1 and R09, a couple of units from Marantz and one from M-Audio.

My main concern with using a hard-disc recorder is that you're putting all your eggs in that one hard disc basket...if you spill beer on your iRiver or if you drop it, you can easily lose everything you've recorded. But with a flash or SD card recorder, even if the machine itself is toast you can still take out the card and transfer any music that you recorded on it to your computer with a card reader. In that respect the flash and SD card recorders are more like a minidisc or cassette tape recorder -- you're recording onto removeable media. Furthermore, the flash units record without any moving parts, they're solid state, which means they're quieter and potentially more reliable/durable.

Unfortunately all of the flash and SD recorders out there seem to have issues...I've heard the Edirol R1 is flimsy and it's certainly bulky, and M-Audio has a reputation for putting out poor-quality products (although I've heard mostly good reviews of their unit so far). And they're all expensive.

My strategy is to keep using my minidisc recorder until it dies...it's about 7 or 8 years old now but is still working flawlessly...when it does finally bite the dust, I assume there'll be a lot more choices of recorders available, the prices will come down, and the bugs will be worked out.
thats why i have a minidisc as well, because of the fact that i can remove the storage without deleting it. however, sometimes i do wish i had an iriver, because of the ease of transferring it to my computer. if you get one, make sure to do FREQUENT backups. i know people who have them and are very happy with them. as far as recording quality and versatility, its all about the microphone you chose, same as with minidiscs.
BrendanB

Post by BrendanB »

Thanks, I appreciate the advice.

b
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Brendan, I have an iHP120. I've had bad luck recording with the internal mic, but it does a great job with the external mic that came with it. If our paths cross at RiRa, you can check it out.

I don't use it as a long-term storage medium -- I transfer stuff to my Mac periodically, and always burn lessons onto CD. OTOH, I can use it to transfer files to and from work -- not as big a deal as it was when memory sticks were still expensive.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Brazenkane

Post by Brazenkane »

Brad,

M-Audio puts out very good products actually. I use their products (other than that recorder) int he studio on a pro basis and M-Audio is very reputable. I use the R1 myself. I don't find it bulky, but if you do drop it the jog wheel will go jogging. I glued mine on ;-) it records GREAT. The built in mics make the whole deal SO easy. Show up to a sessiun w/ the m-audio and forget your mic..and there's no recording. that said, i trust m-audio 100%. They really have their sh*t together. The readout for the R1 it typical Roland hard-to-see-..unless yer looking right down on it. M-Audio has a an easier to see blue screen. I agree flash works great. I ahve a 2 gig card..that's all I need.

blablalbalabla

;-)
Bretton
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

I've had an M-Audio Microtrack for about 6 months now. I'm very happy with it. The recording quality is amazing, but I was using a Marantz casette deck before, so I'm not sure how it compares to other CF devices. If you're wearing good headphones it sounds like you're IN the session. I did buy a mic specially made for the Microtrack from Audio Professionals, and I'm sure that's at least partially responsable for the quality.

It is expensive though ($399). I wouldn't have been able to afford one but this one does double-duty at work...I take it home on the weekends for "practice and training." :)

-Brett
Bill Reeder

Post by Bill Reeder »

chas wrote:Brendan, I have an iHP120. I've had bad luck recording with the internal mic, but it does a great job with the external mic that came with it. If our paths cross at RiRa, you can check it out.

I don't use it as a long-term storage medium -- I transfer stuff to my Mac periodically, and always burn lessons onto CD. OTOH, I can use it to transfer files to and from work -- not as big a deal as it was when memory sticks were still expensive.
I also have an iHP120. I had trouble getting a decent session recording using the internal mike until I discovered that the AGC was turned off. Since turning it on, I've had good success with my session recordings.
Bill

"... you discover that everything is just right: the drones steady and sonorous, the regulators crisp and tuneful and the chanter sweet and responsive. ... I really look forward to those five or six days every year." Robbie Hannan
chas

Post by chas »

Bill, how on earth do you do that? I downloaded the firmware update a year or two ago, and it has adjustable input volume, which does make the soound quieter, but doesn't seem to affect the clipping level at all. I couldn't find anything about AGC.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Bill Reeder

Post by Bill Reeder »

chas wrote:Bill, how on earth do you do that? I downloaded the firmware update a year or two ago, and it has adjustable input volume, which does make the soound quieter, but doesn't seem to affect the clipping level at all. I couldn't find anything about AGC.

I go to the main menu and scroll down to highlight "Record".
I press the big navigation button which brings up another menu.
Scroll down to "record setting" and press the navigation button.
This displays several record options, including AGC.
Scroll down to AGC option. Left/right operation of your navigation button will toggle AGC on or off. Make sure the "on" box is checked. Depress the navigation button in order to back out of the menu and you should be good to go.
Good Luck!
Bill

"... you discover that everything is just right: the drones steady and sonorous, the regulators crisp and tuneful and the chanter sweet and responsive. ... I really look forward to those five or six days every year." Robbie Hannan
chas

Post by chas »

Tankx, mon! It worked.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
brotherwind

Microphone suggestion

Post by brotherwind »

Hi,
which external microphone would you suggest to use with the the iRivers? I want it to record
a) myself playing whistle and bodhran and
b) sessions etc

Thanks,

brotherwind