OT......Bagpipes?????????

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
andreaz54
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

OT......Bagpipes?????????

Post by andreaz54 »

My 34 year old son has decided he wants to learn to play the bagpipes!! :o Where to start? All advice much appreciated. Ma is stumped by this one!!!!!!!
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

I'd start right here.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Tommy
antispam: No

Post by Tommy »

A good instructor will want him to play a chanter for a year first.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
Ted
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ted »

What kind of bagpipes?
In The Woods

Post by In The Woods »

Go to www,bobdunsire.com and sign up as a member (it's free). Then start posting in the appropriate forum, or go look in the Bagpipe Directory.

With best regards,

Steve Mack
Ring the bells that still can ring.
Forget your perfect offering.
There is a crack in everything.
That's how the light get's in.

Leonard Cohen
Jetpiper

Post by Jetpiper »

First, find a pipe teacher. That person will be able to give direction as to where to find a practice chanter, what book they like to use, etc. Don't even think about getting a set of pipes yet. Its way to early for that. One place to find a teacher might be a local music store. Usually, there is a bulletin board where people seeking instruction, and those who give instruction on various instruments will post their contact info. Also, probably one of the best things to do is attend any Highland games/Celtic festivals in your area. Find a piper and see if they can tell you who to contact. And really, most any local trad. musician should be able to at least point you in the general direction of a pipe teacher. If there are any pubs in your area that have session nights, that would also be a good place to find musician's to ask. I'm assuming your son is intending to play the Great Highland Bagpipes, but if your talking Uilleann pipes, you may have a harder time finding a teacher. I have a teacher where I live for the GHB but have not found one for the Uilleann pipes. As a matter of fact, none of the trad. musician's here even know of anyone in my whole town that even plays them. The bigger the town you live in, the better chance you have of finding a teacher. Good luck!
Dave Parkhurst

Post by Dave Parkhurst »

First of all, does he want to play the Great Highland Pipes (Scottish) or Uilleann (Irish)? The two are radically different in sound and playing technique. Don't blindly enter into purchasing an instrument without consulting with an experienced player...you can get rooked without even knowing it. If you have questions about Highland pipes I might be able to help you. For uilleann pipes, there are several people on the C&F uilleann board who are really fine musicians. Above all... DON'T BUY PIPES FROM PAKISTAN, AND DON'T BUY ON EBAY UNLESS YOU ENJOY SETTING FIRE TO YOUR MONEY. There are some good instruments on eBay, but you really have to know your instruments to keep from getting a lemon. Feel free to email me...
Dave
"Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom..."
Unseen122
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Dave Parkhurst wrote:First of all, does he want to play the Great Highland Pipes (Scottish) or Uilleann (Irish)?
What if he wants to learn Gaita (Spanish), Northumbrian (English), or something completly different? If he has no idea that there were so many types, I guess he wants to learn Highland. If he wants to learn Gaita Galega I could help out as I play (kind of). Seriously, whatever type find an instructor or player close by.
kintailpipes

Post by kintailpipes »

34 years old is a bit late to try an learn the bagpipes of any sort?!
Feadan

Post by Feadan »

kintailpipes wrote:34 years old is a bit late to try an learn the bagpipes of any sort?!
Horsepoop! (IMHO).... Yeah, if he wants to be an anal retentive competition piper perhaps it is late (but not "too"). If he wants to have fun it is never too late.

Cheers,
David
Bill Reeder

Post by Bill Reeder »

kintailpipes wrote:34 years old is a bit late to try an learn the bagpipes of any sort?!
I have to disagree with this statement as well. I wish I'd been 34 when I took up the pipes. I was 10 years older than that when I started and I'm still having a great time with them. Absolutely, positively, the best life-changing decision I ever made.

I'm mostly referring to Uilleann pipes here. I do play Northumbrian, Scottish smallpipes and Lowland pipes from time to time, but I don't play Highland pipes at all.
Bill

"... you discover that everything is just right: the drones steady and sonorous, the regulators crisp and tuneful and the chanter sweet and responsive. ... I really look forward to those five or six days every year." Robbie Hannan
Romulo

Post by Romulo »

Well, I have to disagree with that statement as well. By researching a little, one can find many talents in the music scenario that have started late, even a pianist who started around 60. I simply can't accept that the human being is not able to learn almost anything regardless of age. If we couldn't always learn something, there wouldn't be any sense in living anymore and we'd just be determined for the rest of our lives by what we learned at a young age.
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

Absolute nonsense.
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Didn't Willie Clancy start at like 27?
jmccain

Post by jmccain »

Learning pipes are much like any other instrument. If you're willing to seek out good instruction and devote 60-90 minutes of careful practice a day, one should be able to play at a competent (or better) level.

Scottish Highland pipes are a bit different from other instruments in that the ornamentation is very regimented, and it tends to either attract those who are most interested in the dress-up and march-around pagentry, or those who compelled to produce that sound, and no other will satisfy. Guess which group plays better?

Best, John