Who has the best broccoli recipe?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

kkrell wrote:
djm wrote:"Thyroid suppressant" sounds like one of those unfounded quasi-medical terms used by screwball religions like macroneurotics. I have not been able to find anything to support this allegation.

djm
It is true that cruciferous vegetables such as cabbage, kale, Brussels sprouts, broccoli and cauliflower contain natural chemicals called goitrogens (goiter producers) that can interfere with thyroid hormone synthesis. Other foods that contain these chemicals include corn, sweet potatoes, lima beans, turnips, peanuts, cassava (YUCA), canola oil and soybeans. Fortunately, the goitrogens in these foods are inactivated by cooking, even by light steaming, so there is no need to forego the valuable antioxidant and cancer- protective effects cruciferous vegetables afford.

Caution: All cruciferous vegetables contain goitrin, thiocyanate, and isothiocyanate, which are collectively known as goitrogens. These chemicals inhibit the formation of thyroid hormones, causing the organ to enlarge in an effort to produce more of these hormones. This is not a hazardous situation for healthy people, but may pose a problem for those who have a thyroid condition or who are taking thyroid medication.

Love the word "macroneurotics"

Kevin Krell
All the more reason to skip the coleslaw. :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

COLESLAW IS YOUR FRIEND!

Seriously, I used to work at a restaurant where we served coleslaw, and the way we made it was to go get a big bag of vaccuum-packed vegetables and dump them into a large steel bowl and then mix them with mayonaise with our hands. It was bizarre. :boggle:
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

I hate cole slaw.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Bloomfield wrote:Heat olive oil in a wok. Add 2-3 cloves chopped garlic. After 30 seconds (and before garlic browns, add moist, washed broccoli. Toss. Add soy sauce, red pepper flakes, and a dash of salt. Stir fry until not quite tender. In the mean time mix cold water with 1 tblsp cornstarch. Add, stir, bring to boil, serve immediately over rice.

Variation: add sliced carrots or red bell pepers.
This is similar to my favorite, which I got from 'Ciao, Italia' cookbook, which doesn't have the corn starch or soy sauce, but adds some parmesan cheese.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Congratulations wrote:I hate cole slaw.
There's only one cole slaw I truly like, and that's from Rudolph's rib joint in Minneapolis (and O'Brien's, too, but the owner used to be head chef at Rudolph's, so there you have it). I'll bet just about any cole slaw hater would like that recipe: sweet and creamy, with a sharp bite. Excellent stuff.

Now I'll have to give it up if I don't want to grow a goiter. :cry:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Jack

Post by Jack »

Would you guys believe that I have a large thyroid tumor in my throat? Seriously. I've had multiple biopsies, scans, ultrasounds, and injections on it--everything short of surgery, actually, and I love vegetables! Go figure!! :boggle:
djm

Post by djm »

So increase your iodine intake.

Real cole slaw was just a way to preserve cabbage over the winter. All it should contain is shredded cabbage and pickling salt. Bury this in the ground for a few weeks in the fall/early winter (getting near freezing every night) in an air-tight container and you have cole slaw. Anything else is just bizarre.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

djm wrote:Kevin, thanks for the clarification. From what I am seeing, this is only a "may be" concern, to whit:
A whole variety of naturally occurring agents have been identified that might be goitrogenic in man (67, 68 ). Most of these have only been tested in animals and/or have been shown to possess antithyroid effects in vitro.
The rest of the article is here: http://thyroidmanager.org/Chapter20/ch01s03.html

Yes, just as I suspected. In vitro tests of isolated components. The jury is still out on the relevance of such tests for whole foods. For instance, does in vitro replicate what occurs in the digestion of the living human. What happens to raw cabbage well masticated and subjected to all those enzymes and things in the human GIT over a period of several hours at a tempaerature of 98degrees F. A kind of cooking? Hmmm?
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Coleslaw is just too much trouble to eat, and I don't want any of that runny milky stuff from it anywhere near my ribeye thank you. :evil:
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Cranberry wrote:Would you guys believe that I have a large thyroid tumor in my throat? Seriously. I've had multiple biopsies, scans, ultrasounds, and injections on it--everything short of surgery, actually, and I love vegetables! Go figure!! :boggle:
My wife (her of the baking powder) had a tumour on her Thyroid. She had it removed surgically about eight years ago. Although the tumour was further up, the surgeons cut at her breastbone and folded up the skin. Now she has the very faintest scar, and is perfectly happy wearing low necklines. You need to be about six inches away or closer to see the scar - even then it isn't clear. It was a scarey time though.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

I.D.10-t wrote:Do you all eat broccoli on the table without a plate like SteveShaw does?
No, we spread newspaper first.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Cranberry wrote:Would you guys believe that I have a large thyroid tumor in my throat? Seriously. I've had multiple biopsies, scans, ultrasounds, and injections on it--everything short of surgery, actually, and I love vegetables! Go figure!! :boggle:

Zees patient hass eaten ze vegetabless und therby consumed ze goitrogens, und now hass ze large thyroid tumor. I zink zees clinches ze teeory auf ze necessity auf ze cooking auf ze vegetabless.

Ze thyroid ees not een ze throat, zo, young man. Eeet ees in front auf eet. Zu need to study ze anatomischen!
hyldemoer

Post by hyldemoer »

Monster wrote:If you buy crowns only the cost is a little higher, that's what I buy, it saves me from having to chop off the stalk and throw it out.
The crowns taste the same as the flowers.
Slice them thinly and they'll cook just as tender in the same amount of time.
I always steam mine litely (still a bit of crunch) and usually serve them with a squirt of Udo's Oil (instead of butter) and a spray of Bragg's or tamari sauce (instead of salt).
Lately I've been adding thinly sliced carrots and/or sweet potatoes to my steaming pot of broccoli.
djm

Post by djm »

Lambchop wrote:No, we spread newspaper first.
:lol: :lol: :lol: ROTFLMAO!!!!

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Denny

Post by Denny »

djm wrote:
Lambchop wrote:No, we spread newspaper first.
:lol: :lol: :lol: ROTFLMAO!!!!

djm
the well cultured lamb :wink: