Internet etiquette/ Monster caught up in Bruh-hah-hah

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

SteveShaw wrote:
Bloomfield wrote:No, he isn't Will. But I am really Zina Lee.
:o Good grief, I wondered where you'd gone! And all this time I thought you were Debwah! :boggle:
And I've been watching you, Steve....
/Bloomfield
The Weekenders
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by The Weekenders »

At times like this one should remember:
Arguing on the Internet is like racing in the Special Olympics. You might win, but you're still retarded. [insert polticially correct term of choice i.e. disable, differently abled, bla bla bla].

And of course I do it anyway in the rubber room.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Bloomfield wrote:And I've been watching you, Steve....
:o No....please don't tell Jeremy I'm here...please...I'll do almost anything...
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
flanum
Location: Cavan via Dublin, Skerries, Donabate, Ballinagh, Cavan, Ballyconnell, Ballinamore, Athlone, Cavan,

Post by flanum »

SteveShaw wrote:I left thesession.argh in high dudgeon several years ago after I was comprehensively rounded on by their "glee club" for complaining about the preponderance of silly, flippant thread hijacks going on. Unfortunately, their structure is not one of different forums in which you can discuss music/act silly/attempt to be amusing/get deadly serious, like we can here (more fool them!). They completely whitewashed me from the board, so you can't read any of the old exchanges (not that I was especially proud of 'em anyway). I still take a peek over there every now and again, and I've noticed that hardly any of the clique of the time post at all these days. No names, no pack drill! :D
"Oh hi, gee, erm, the other night i was like erm at a session and like this guy, was erm noodling in between tunes. I mean like im the session leader and like i said to this guy, do you know who i am? do you know what session ettiquette is all about? gee......"
Listen to me young fellow, what need is there for fish to sing when i can roar and bellow?
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

The Weekenders wrote:At times like this one should remember:
Arguing on the Internet is like racing in the Special Olympics. You might win, but you're still retarded.
:lol:

I am really Unseen122. Seriously
Jack

Post by Jack »

I am Walden. At least, some people seem to think that (I've been called Walden not a few times :P).
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Cranberry wrote:(I've been called Walden not a few times :P).
So have I.
Reasonable person
Walden
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Hey Monst,

Don't get into dots raves with Dixie and Trad players man!

My dear departed dad hadda play that s***e but was always a cool-jazz and big band man, he had to read or the union would have not gotten him gigs. He could play the whole Joe Morrella tutor start to finish by sight or memory - the one that starts on independence (L/R hand). He was the only guy in Oz who could handle 2 Gordon Lacognia lessons a week back in the 50's and he hadda read because everyone got arrangements thrown in front of them! Trad eventually became rock and roll. It's good to revisit as a cultural thing or even be loving it new, but it will be as trad as ITM and these trad things insist on the Oral Organic - they must or they would die.

The thing is that really good players with a few years experience don't need dots to lug a number - they've done it all a hundred times. But! Rehearsal is the only way to get tight on new material. I cannot imagine the Chieftains (for e.g.) being able to do what they do without some form of rehearsal - the more experienced the less you need. I heard of a gig with Chuck Berry once here in Oz - he hadda pick-up local musos because of union rules, anyhow, at the 30 second rehearsal he spent the time saying "When I stomp my foot start, when I stomp my foot again stop. You all know the songs." and the gig went fine. Underlying that was the truth of sound recording that can take the place of dots if you've got an ear for it. But if you need to get something cracking straight away - reading dots will weed-out the amatures pretty quick for starters, and everyone knows who the boss is. But, and a very big but, reading dots don't make a musician. Besides, there's a zilloin other ways to codify arrangements. Whatever suits your purpose.

Headbutting with folks only gets a flat head. Specially if they're armor plated. Respect the armor plate - no one has it without a good reason. Remember to address a request to those who you want to reach, passers-by may comment, but the target is still reading and will have their own opinion. Don't engage with spoilers - and don't judge them, they might just be protecting their own senses with guff, or running the fences for their flock of other bystanders. No one can know. Without knowing all you can do is ignore. Talking to The Internet is like shouting into 5 billion ears, no matter what you say, there'll be some who don't like it, and if you get shouted-down? doesn't matter, cos 5 billion judges watched that happen too.

If I was standing on the street and someone gave me that sorta jive man to man, I could take it as a personal attack and might invite him up the alley for a private session. On the net it's different. Flaming is like the Colloseum - a few good folks die, some carnivores get fed, the people get entertained and Rome falls.
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Mitch wrote:Hey Monst,

If I was standing on the street and someone gave me that sorta jive man to man, I could take it as a personal attack and might invite him up the alley for a private session....
Would you lower da boom on 'em?

I find your dialect refreshing. I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter.
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

The word's "brouhaha". "Bruh-hah-hah" is the noise a petrol lawnmower makes when you try to start it on a wet Sunday morning.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

GaryKelly wrote:The word's "brouhaha". "Bruh-hah-hah" is the noise a petrol lawnmower makes when you try to start it on a wet Sunday morning.
But it wasn't a brouhaha. It wasn't even a fracas. Certainly not a furore. It was barely a rumpus.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

Flyingcursor wrote:
Mitch wrote:Hey Monst,

If I was standing on the street and someone gave me that sorta jive man to man, I could take it as a personal attack and might invite him up the alley for a private session....
Would you lower da boom on 'em?

I find your dialect refreshing. I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter.
Hmmm ... da boom was installed at da factory gate, Most of the workers ran into it on their way home that day because it suprised them. I suppose the term might suit. Our chief weapon is Surprise! Suprise and Fear ... our chief 2 weapons are ...

Meanwhile back at the comfy chair, a new name got added to the newsletter ...
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
Monster

Post by Monster »

Crackin good write up Mitch.
insert uber smart comment here