High D is sharp. How to flatten, anyone?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Diggy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

High D is sharp. How to flatten, anyone?

Post by Diggy »

Has anyone made a whistle from 1/2 inch copper plumbing? I just made one and I'm having a problem with the upper octave D being very sharp. Everything else is in pretty good tune.

I needed to make a C whistle for a concert coming up in a large room, and I used a Susato headpiece because I can't afford $35 for a new Susato C.

I interpolated (averaged) the measurements between my D and Bb Susatos, and made a copper body that fits the fipple/head joint.

Any suggestions on how to flatten the upper D when the rest of the notes are in tune? Undercutting? Opening up the uppermost hole so it's sharper?Seems to me it would be the C# (highest tone hole) that's causing the problem, since everything else is closed when high D is played. Make sense, anyone?
Brewer / Piper
Unseen122
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Opening the C# hole should work, but it will throw our C# sharp. You coud try blowing more gently, but I doubt you would want to do that in a fast tune.
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

What about undercutting a small bit rather than making a bigger hole?
PallasAthena

Post by PallasAthena »

If all else fails, you could try simply dropping your jaw when playing the high d. That should bend the pith sugnificiently.
Diggy

Post by Diggy »

I did drop the jaw, and it helped, but in a real world concert situation, I will not be able to adjust that quickly. The concert's in one week. So what I decied to do was rewrite the harp part in Bb so I could just play my existubg Bb Susato,

but I'm still interested in suggestions,

undercutting-- is that above inside or below inside the tone hole? There's not much chimney effect to work with, as on the pipes. It's an "M" (thin) type copper tube.

Yeah, I've got a lot to learn. i don't plan on doing this this professionally (as a whistle maker). I'd just like to figure out why everything 'cept the octave D came out almost perfectly in tune.
Brewer / Piper
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Diggy wrote:
but I'm still interested in suggestions,

undercutting-- is that above inside or below inside the tone hole? There's not much chimney effect to work with
Undercutting is the term for beveling the inside of the hole, or say the bottom of the hole. It is done mostly on the side of the hole towards the fipple to bring a flat note up. With a sharp note there is not much you can do.
Fill the hole with an epoxy and then redrill the hole lower.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Sorry for the repeats.
Last edited by Tommy on Thu May 25, 2006 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Sorry for the repeats.
Last edited by Tommy on Thu May 25, 2006 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Diggy

Post by Diggy »

I will solder the hole shut, and then redrill. Do you think that may orkd (Orkney) as well.? (Work-- aye-- firewater!)
Hello!
Hook Na Hey,
as we Comaches say.
Brewer / Piper
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Diggy wrote:I will solder the hole shut, and then redrill. Do you think that may orkd (Orkney) as well.? (Work-- aye-- firewater!)
Hello!
Hook Na Hey,
as we Comaches say.

Yes that should do it.
syn whistles
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by syn whistles »

Perhaps your mistake is trying to play OXX XXX rather than XXX XXX. I assume too that you are talking about the middle D? If you get that in tune on a straight bore whistle, then the top D will be sharp and the bottom D slightly flat. I'd only worry about redrilling holes if those particular notes were out, it's the length of the whistle you need to worry about when tuning the D's.
So good it has to be a SYN!
Dave Parkhurst

Post by Dave Parkhurst »

See my response below... this response was so stupid that I edited it out....
Having an Alzheimer's moment,
Dave
Last edited by Dave Parkhurst on Thu May 25, 2006 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom..."
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

I think he is working on a C whistle. And if the D is sharp it is the bottom hole that is to far up the tube.
Dave Parkhurst

Post by Dave Parkhurst »

Ooooohhh! Sorry, I didn't read the initial entry closely enough! Stupid me... if the 2nd D is too sharp on a C whistle, the hole is too large. An in-tune low D indicates hole upper edge placement is okay, but if the 2nd D is sharp, you drilled the hole too large. Make another body with the upper edge of the D hole in the same place, just drill a smaller hole. Try placing a piece of tape over the far edge of the hole on the body you have and see...this may be the answer to your question. Placing tape over the far edge of the hole decreases hole size without affecting upper hole edge placement.
Duh....
Dave
"Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom..."
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Dave Parkhurst wrote:Make another body with the upper edge of the D hole in the same place, just drill a smaller hole. Try placing a piece of tape over the far edge of the hole on the body you have and see...this may be the answer to your question.
Wouldn't this adversly affect the bottom D? I would think you'd want
to change the position and size of the hole...