Does anyone here use the pipe finger posture on the whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

What finger posture do you use when playing the whistle?

Bagpipe finger posture.
29%
Whistle finger posture. (Tips of fingers)
57%
Other. (and please elaborate!)
14%

Total votes: 28

Jetpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Does anyone here use the pipe finger posture on the whistle?

Post by Jetpiper »

Since I am a Uilleann and GHB padawan, I find the pipe finger posture to be quite natural feeling when playing the whistle. However, I was wondering if those of you who are more experienced might know of any drawbacks to using this technique on the whistle. As a matter of fact, I think I'll put up a poll just for fun and see how many of us use each technique.

Thanks!
CRC

Post by CRC »

What exactly is the bagpipe finger posture? :-?
Later: Never Mind! :oops:
Last edited by CRC on Tue May 23, 2006 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Are you talking about the high whistle or the low whistle? I think a lot of people have to use the piper's grip on the low whistle, just from what I have read here, and it is fairly unusual on the high whistle. Anyway, people might think they need to know which type of whistle you are refering to. Just a thought, though.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

Piper's grip is essential, as far as I'm concerned, once you get lower than a Bb. I learned it in order to manage a low D, and once that became comfortable I found that I prefer a modified piper's grip to fingertips even for the higher whistles.
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

The only whistle I use a piper's grip for is my low D. That's because it's the only low whistle I own. My hands must be bigger than Emmline's, as I don't use piper's grip for my A whistle.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Jetpiper

Post by Jetpiper »

Are you talking about the high whistle or the low whistle? I think a lot of people have to use the piper's grip on the low whistle, just from what I have read here, and it is fairly unusual on the high whistle. Anyway, people might think they need to know which type of whistle you are refering to. Just a thought, though.
Thanks! Good point! I was thinking primarily of the high whistles, as my son and I were just playing John Ryan's Polka and I realized I was using the high D with the piper's grip. Something I usually only used on the low D.
Piper's grip is essential, as far as I'm concerned, once you get lower than a Bb. I learned it in order to manage a low D, and once that became comfortable I found that I prefer a modified piper's grip to fingertips even for the higher whistles.
I agree emmline. The Chieftain low D was the first whistle I tried the piper's grip on, and I have since realized I like it for the high whistles also.

So, to clarify I guess I'm talking about the high whistles where it is more of an option than a necessity like on the low whistles.

Thanks!
Unseen122
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I don't use Piper's Grip for anything any more. Not even Pipes, but then again I play Galician Pipes where one doesn't need to use piper's grip.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

I use a modified Piper's Grip on all my whistles. I think it must be how I learned waaaaay back when, and it's also how my fingers fit the holes best, low or high.

I use the tips of my left hand fingers and the second pad of my right hand fingers on most high whistles and the second pads of all on the low. Of course, when I take out the concealed weaponry... the high Gs, though, finger tips is the only way!! :o
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

Other? How else is there? play with your toes or something?
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

I said "other" because I don't play with my fingertips but rather the pads under the first digits of my fingers. Also, since I play with my pinkie always planted near the end of the whistle tube, my bottom hand ring finger ends up covering the D tonehole a little further up the finger, almost at the first joint (hope this makes sense).
When I first got my Generation Bb a few years ago, I used a modified pipers grip to play it but after I got my Chieftain low D, the Bb didn't seem so big. I play it with my finger pads now. When I play my A and Low G, I use my standard grip for my top hand and a pipers grip for the bottom.
I can't imagine using a pipers grip on a sop. D whistle though... seems to me that I wouldn't have the room to move my fingers around freely enough.
Ostekjeks

Post by Ostekjeks »

I've tried playing with the second finger pads on a high D whistle, but I didn't like it. When it comes to lower whistles, I use whatever technique that works best.
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

piper's grip for lower whistles with lower hand, non-piper's grip for upper hand.
Flogging Jason
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Flogging Jason »

I have not yet accquired a low whistle so I can't offer any opinions there...and I have not yet accquired a practice chanter..although I'm familiar with pipe fingering(my dad being a veteran piper of 30+years). So yeah...just regular fingertip playing for me. I've inquired with Ralph Sweet about making a custom whistle head for my low D flute....so I'll let you know if I do find pipe fingering more comfortable for that one.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

thank you very much for bringing up this subject. i am totally self-taught off the internet (that means you guys) and have never got to see anyone play a whistle up close other than those snippets of video that you guys post every once in a while. i've always wondered about this. some folks seem so determined to play with their fingertips. my hands can't do that and i have pretty normal man hands and fingers that are fairly dexterous. i use a piper's grip for a low whistle and a modified piper's grip for a soprano. one of the minor functions of my job is to fingerprint people. there is a lot of diversity in hands and fingers. i'm glad to see other folks are using this method too.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Depending upon the particular make of whistle:

amar's combination approach at Low A and G, I guess.

piper's grip for both hands F and lower.