What is your favo[u]rite kind of bread?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

What is your favorite kind of bread?

white wheat bread
6%
brown wheat bread
6%
multi-grain bread
19%
potato bread
No votes
corn bread
No votes
oat or rice bread
No votes
something French or otherwise fancy and expensive
13%
rye bread
11%
another kind of bread
45%

Total votes: 47

dubhlinn
antispam: No

Post by dubhlinn »

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Denny

Post by Denny »

Congratulations
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Congratulations »

I adore brown wheat. Put some strawberry preserves on it, and heaven is suddenly not so far away.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

I like to get bread from these folks --Great Harvest Bread Co. Good stuff -- they grind all their wheat on the premise and and have been making whole grain bread since the seventies. Greart Harvest is a franchise, but not at all like a chain. They encourage independent, small, family business owners (unlike Panera, which wants 3 million in capital to start a store). This is the only commercial bread I like better than what I make myself.
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Homemade. I make bread that's whole wheat with malt and spent brewing grains. It's substantive and REALLY good for you.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Jack

Post by Jack »

You should all mail me some of your homemade bread. I've never made homemade bread (unless pancakes, biscuits, or noodles count).
Jack

Post by Jack »

So, so far we've had well over 160 views to this poll and just 16 votes. If these statistics mean anything at all, then 9 out of 10 Chiff and Fipple members don't vote in polls (or don't eat bread). :boggle:
Miwokhill

Post by Miwokhill »

I usually get the orowheat honey wheat berry- I don't know if orowheat is a national brand. The wheat berry is good and it's not as fluffy as some of their other brown breads.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

My favorite kind of bread is fresh-cooked and still warm.
Reasonable person
Walden
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Cranberry wrote:So, so far we've had well over 160 views to this poll and just 16 votes. If these statistics mean anything at all, then 9 out of 10 Chiff and Fipple members don't vote in polls (or don't eat bread). :boggle:
Or, more likely, 9 out of 10 members weren't able to find an answer that spoke to their condition, so they didn't participate.

There is a 12-grain rustic sourdough boule that's baked locally here from dough shipped down from some New York bread place. I avoid buying it because I eat too much of it.

Fresh whole-grain bagels. And a sprouted-grain loaf with no sugar made by the Alvarado Street Bakery, which you can get frozen.

You can't beat a flour tortilla for versatility, though. You can turn them into main dishes, a rolled-up lunch, a breakfast delight, and a crepe-like dessert. (Spread thinly with butter, sprinkle lushly with goat cheese, sprinkle less lushly with light brown sugar and cinnamon, roll up and bake or microwave until delicious. If you're baking them, definitely brush with melted butter first. And forget about the nonfat kind! They're awful.)

Or biscuits and cream gravy.
scottielvr

Post by scottielvr »

Cranberry wrote:You should all mail me some of your homemade bread.
I might could do that. I'll be baking this weekend. It would be sourdough, though. And you'd have to promise not to eat it with margarine.
:wink:
Wanderer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Depends on the occasion...hard crusted rolls for soup, king hawaiian bread is good for french toast (Texas toast is too), bagettes made into rounds for crostinis, french bread for garlic bread, zuchinni bread for a snack, sourdough makes good burgers, rye makes good deli sandwiches and is good for fondue, biscuits good with gravy, croissants with egg and cheese, soda bread with colcannon, tortiallas with fajitas, naan with curry...

There's just no way I could choose just one. ;)
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

I voted "Other", but like Walden, Chas & Scottielvr, I bake my own bread.
I don't do Potato Bread, not Brioche, nor White Bread, but I do all the other kinds you list, and some more.
The last type I made was Oat Bread, which comes under "Multigrain" in your list.
I also make Bagels and Soda Bread, which I'd regard as a serious list omission. But you can't please everyone.
My (current) favourite is a Seeded Plait, which is a little bit like a wholemeal Chollah (imagine that!) with pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and sesame seeds, and of course, poppy seeds on top.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Reasonable person
Walden
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

If you want bread that's infinitely better than shop-bought, but can't or won't bake your own, buy a bread-making machine. You can get a Panasonic SD253 from Amazon for less than 77 quid. I swear by mine - great, authentic-tasting bread that's made with organic flour and isn't over-salty like nearly all shop bread. The ingredients are cheap too. I reckon mine's paid for itself in two years several times over. It takes me three minutes to load the ingredients for a wholemeal loaf - job done, all you do is wait. It isn't a purist's solution by a long chalk but it's definitely a step in the right direction. You can make any kind of bread you want, even fruit loaves, and you can use it to make dough for rolls or pizza bases.
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!