Suggestion for radical new bellows design (not entirely tong

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Big Mick
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Big Mick »

This, my friends, is a classic "troll".

Anyone who would suggest that we use electric pumps is the sort of person who will never master these pipes. In order to play them well, you have to WANT to learn the various skills. While ornamentation is the stuff that makes one great, it is bellows and bag technique that makes you good. And you can't be great until you are first good. If you are serious about the topic of this thread (and I don't believe you are), quit looking for shortcuts and practice.

The Irish language is a classic troll. I won't bother to address that.
All the best,

Big Mick Lane
Dionys

Post by Dionys »

The Irish language recently told me and some other people:

"The reports of my demise are a bit premature."

I have to admit, though, it is very American to scoff at a language older in history and stronger in beauty. For that matter, it seems very American to me to scoff at languages other than English.

It always strikes me as funny when I hear someone in America complain about the French not speaking English to American tourists even when they know the language. My next question is invariably "and what languages do you speak?"

Dionys
Tir gan teanga <--> Tir gan Anam.
Uilliam

Post by Uilliam »

E=Fb not very GREEN are we!!!
I once heard and well remember A LITTLE IRISH IS BETTER THAN PERFECT ENGLISH.
Slan go foill
Liam
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

This topic is clearly intended, at best, for those who speak a little inglaise...please note sub-title: "not entirely tongue-in-cheek" -which I would interpret only as some sort of progressive code to give room to seperate these neoleprechauns pipers from their wannabees.

E.G., no joking aside, you should have heard all the bellowing that took place the first time the chanter ever evolved from the mouth to the tube. Believe me, I wouldn't have balked. And now I'm a mid-term traditionalist...I'll keep the "stick in the mud" so to speak! Wouldn't that be "big picture" thinking?
energy

Post by energy »

I'm not a piper, but it seems to me that pipes just wouldn't be pipes without bellows.

Nate
"I don't want to be interesting. I want to be good." - Ludwig Mies van der Rohe
"I'm the goodest sheep rider there is. Except Jesus." - Koby Blunt, multiple time rodeo champion, age 6
Keith

Post by Keith »

I heard a great story (from Alan Burton, I think) about a piping enthusiast who decided to make a set of pipes operated by steam.

All winter long, he toiled away in his garage, welding turbines to pistons to boilers, then eventually in the spring, he ventured forth with his steam pipes and iron chanter.

For his first attempt to play them, he loaded up with water, stoked the boiler, and dressed in a full 19th century diving suit.....only to burn his fingers on the hot steam coming from the holes in the chanter...

So I would suggest that you endure the few months work which would easily get you working with the bellows.

And as for the Irish language, I think one group of enthusiasts for an archaic instrument, should let another group of enthusiasts for an archaic language pursue it in peace...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Keith on 2002-09-02 08:14 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Keith on 2002-09-02 08:16 ]</font>
E = Fb

Post by E = Fb »

Some great comments and quips. As someone pointed out, my comment "not entirely tongue in cheek" was an attempt at revealing my mindset. There was some whimsey there, but I was also curious. I'm sure the U Pipes must have looked like a central heating system gone wrong when first developed.
As for the Irish lanaguage, I used to be a fluent speaker. I'm more than a bit rusty now. I am fluent in French. I love language. But to me Irish is a sort of linguistic kilt...fun to have but not very practical. (BTW, I do own a kilt and wear it proudly, but not to work!)
Kotaputer

Post by Kotaputer »

First the remarks about the Irish Language,
then dissing Paddy Keenan. The words "wind" and "up" spring to mind. (mind you, I would think extolling the greater virtues of concert pitch over flat is the best "prod") I haven't laughed yet though.
Kota
Bok Choi

Post by Bok Choi »

I should be piping, but just had to pipe up and say that I live in a mid-sized mid-western town where one is increasingly likely to hear archaic UP notes floating on the breeze and where even my Polish-accordion-wielding neighbour greets me daily in impractical but passable Irish. There are at least 4 people in town who refuse to speak to me an anything BUT Irish, which is usually cool except when people assume we're terrorists or out-of-work dairy farmers. And for the record, Wisconsin cows do like UPs.

BC
Paul

Post by Paul »

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: paul on 2002-12-12 19:35 ]</font>
AlanBurton

Post by AlanBurton »

[quote]
On 2002-09-02 08:13, Keith wrote:
I heard a great story (from Alan Burton, I think) about a piping enthusiast who decided to make a set of pipes operated by steam.

All winter long, he toiled away in his garage, welding turbines to pistons to boilers, then eventually in the spring, he ventured forth with his steam pipes and iron chanter.

For his first attempt to play them, he loaded up with water, stoked the boiler, and dressed in a full 19th century diving suit.....only to burn his fingers on the hot steam coming from the holes in the chanter...

Just in case it sounds bollocks, I assure you it is true, save I don't think slaving all winter in the garage, and it was Bike leathers n Helmet (he had the gloves on, then thoiught "oh I can't play with these on, and then proceeded to scald himself).
He was/is a fairly well known accordionist.
Chinese whispers eh :smile:
Regards
Alan

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AlanBurton on 2002-09-08 12:05 ]</font>
E = Fb

Post by E = Fb »

Wow, this forum is so much more lively then the whistle one, that's for sure. All the invective, the misreading of intentions, the assumptions, the distain for others' opinions. It's more fun than a mouse at a burlesque show, to quote old Foghorn.
piperben

Post by piperben »

I once saw a picture of bellows that were foot operated.
In The NPU Mag i think. I think the piper using this design ended up in hospital with severe groin strain and "pipers ankle".:smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: piperben on 2002-09-12 19:35 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: piperben on 2002-09-12 19:36 ]</font>
tok

Post by tok »

I think my fridge here in my new place is resonating in the key of c . so , I would set up my pipes in that key so they would be in tune with an electric air pump .Or , go with a gas power generator and make the bag and reeds stronger, alot stronger. lol.
Paul

Post by Paul »

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: paul on 2002-12-12 19:36 ]</font>