Saving the Soul of the Musically Misguided

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
PallasAthena
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Saving the Soul of the Musically Misguided

Post by PallasAthena »

My ten year old cousin reciently discovered "Irish Music". The slight problem is her discovery of "Irish Music" is that show Celtic Women. I've heard the soundtrack--it's not bad but it is not, for the most part, traditional. I want to make sure my cousin finds her way to actual trad, not new-agey "celtic" music. I was going to give her a Chieftains CD but decided the difference in style may be too shocking. Any advice to "enlightening" her?
BrassBlower
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by BrassBlower »

To avoid the shock, she must be acclimated S-L-O-W-L-Y.

If she likes the "Celtic Woman" video, at first you may want her to try some Anuna or Mediaeval Baebes. From there, it's just a short jump to Blackmore's Night. Once she gets used to that, bring out the Fairport Convention, Gaelic Storm, and Solas. From there, go to Flook, then Altan, then Steeleye Span, Dervish, and the Bothy Band. See the progression yet? Next thing you know, she'll be spinning the Chieftains to her heart's content! :D

Hopefully this helps. :twisted:
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
steph_c

Post by steph_c »

BrassBlower wrote:To avoid the shock, she must be acclimated S-L-O-W-L-Y.
I'd like to politely disagree. At her age the best thing you could do for her is expose her to as much as possible. She's going to like what she likes, whether or not you find it tasteful. The more she hears the more she'll be able to contrast and compare, and form her own opinions.

As much as I wish my 8 year old nephew would devour just tunes and be keen on playing just the fiddle, I recognize that he *loves* songs more than the tunes. Feeding that interest though has proved fruitful the other way - he's more receptive to tunes and sessions and pure drop instrumental recordings if there are songs thrown in occasionally.

Moreover, she's 10 - I'd say she's yet spongy enough upstairs to handle whatever you throw at her. Go to town.
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Kids are going to listen to what they like, and all the well-intentioned adult "guidance" to the contrary is just going to make them dig in their heels all the more. It's their job, after all, to try to find something that's "uniquely" theirs.

Let her listen to Celtic Women (FWIW, that bunch makes me want to run screaming for the hills, but there's no accounting for the taste of a 10-year-old). IF she asks you for recommendations, maybe you can steer her toward groups/singers that are both more traditional and likely to appeal to her tastes...perhaps some Karan Casey or the older Solas stuff, or maybe some Altan or early Clannad. She might also like Cherish the Ladies. I'm guessing she leans heavily toward vocal music. Or you can just casually say "I thought you might enjoy this CD" and give her one or two of the above. No pressure...a kid that finds herself pushed is likely to turn off entirely.

She may never like heavily traditional bands, or she may grow to like them in time. When I was a kid, I adored The Irish Rovers and The Clancy Brothers, but couldn't stomach The Chieftains at all...I was all about singing. I gradually came to enjoy the instrumental music as well (especially once I started playing the whistle), but it was a taste I developed gradually, and on my own terms. I still prefer vocal music, and particularly sean nós singing, and tend to favor CDs with lots of singing on them, and she may follow that line as well.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Slow immersion is a safer route. Kids are very adaptable and if you threw a whistle and Mary Bergin's CDs at one you could probably get him/her to learn it pretty well but you can't guarantee that you are fostering a love for the music. What's more important is the kid is having fun with the music and can make some friends who also have fun with it. Otherwise you risk overloading them and they will resist.

And Celtic Woman isn't that far from Riverdance. All of the dancing plus featured singers interspersed with all of the jazzed up tunes could do the trick. Though that show makes my skin crawl now, it makes a good transition from Top 40 to trad and there's no denying that Jean Butler's a very good dancer. So that could be a good one to try if you feel she might enjoy it. *shaking my head in disbelief that I actually recommended Riverdance*

Cheers,
Aaron
hyldemoer

Post by hyldemoer »

AaronMalcomb wrote:So that could be a good one to try if you feel she might enjoy it. *shaking my head in disbelief that I actually recommended Riverdance*
Age ten, female, and "River Dance"?

Be ready to offer dancing lessions.

Actually, my route into the music was through dance.
When a neighbor lady from Ireland opened up a dance school in her basement all the girls with a smidgin of Irish blood in their veins signed up.

I have no Irish ancestors in my family but it was obvious to me, at the time, that step dancing was a cool thing to do. (I'd already been taking tap and ballet lessons for a couple years.)
I stopped taking lessons when it became too competitive for my temperament but to this day I am always puzzled when anyone spends a lot of intellectual energy trying to figure out the rhythm to a tune.

When one's orientation to music is through dance, rhythm is in their bones.
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

hyldemoer wrote:When one's orientation to music is through dance, rhythm is in their bones.
Oh! Yes! That's where I found it too. I was in a Scottish country dance group when I was in high school. I still credit our dance teacher, Christine Tattersall, with the development of my movement towards traditional music. Plus all those nice men in kilts.

My daughters have both loved Riverdance. And one of them is now on her way to becoming a fine fiddler. The youngest just decided that she'd like flute to be her band instrument!

And there's definitely something to be said for letting kids listen to as much as you can expose them to. When I started really playing Irish traditional music about three years ago, my older daughter was nine. I'd ask her opinion about a tune, and she'd say "Honestly, Mom, they all sound alike." Just a little while later she'd be lilting tunes around the house. Now she pulls out her fiddle and says "Teach me that one!" I love that!

Jennie
brianormond

Post by brianormond »

-I was oblivious to most Irish music except for the usual suspects (Danny Boy & Irish Washerwoman)
until moving to a place with a decent live music scene.

-Not having much money to spend but spending it
for the odd night out at the feet of good trad musicians helped. Experiencing it live made the difference. Take someone you want to share the music with to a session or small venue and see if they don't warm to it.

-I've plenty of Irish ancestors but they left
most everything behind for life here-including old folkways. There's nothing exclusively Irish about this. Forebears from Scotland, England, France, Holland & Germany handed down just a few stray proverbs in the old languages and deferred
to more popular American tastes in entertainment.
treesong

Post by treesong »

brianormond wrote:Experiencing it live made the difference. Take someone you want to share the music with to a session or small venue and see if they don't warm to it.
I whole-heartedly agree. This was the way the music is meant to be experienced. I have been taking our daughter to local folk festivals since she was a wee infant and now she can't get enough :party: If you live close to each other and have access, this truly is the best introduction.
PallasAthena wrote:I want to make sure my cousin finds her way to actual trad, not new-agey "celtic" music.
Honestly, you can't make sure find the way, but the broadest range you can expose her too, the greater chance she will find something she likes. When I am introducing a compadre to a genre of music, I generally make a compilation CD. Might be a good idea to throw in some vocal-oriented along with different types of tunes and featuring different types of instruments. Then ask her about it and if there is some stuff she likes more than others, you can help her pursue that type/artist.
Sylvester

Post by Sylvester »

Jennie wrote:and she'd say "Honestly, Mom, they all sound alike." Just a little while later she'd be lilting tunes around the house. Now she pulls out her fiddle and says "Teach me that one!" I love that!
Jennie
That's so lovely. I wish mi kids (still in project :) ) will do the same.
Reel
Asturian Air

Audare est Facere
buddhu

Re: Saving the Soul of the Musically Misguided

Post by buddhu »

PallasAthena wrote:My ten year old cousin reciently discovered "Irish Music". The slight problem is her discovery of "Irish Music" is that show Celtic Women. I've heard the soundtrack--it's not bad but it is not, for the most part, traditional. I want to make sure my cousin finds her way to actual trad, not new-agey "celtic" music. I was going to give her a Chieftains CD but decided the difference in style may be too shocking. Any advice to "enlightening" her?
Don't panic. It can all end well. My own route in was via The Pogues... Not *strictly* trad.
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Re: Saving the Soul of the Musically Misguided

Post by anniemcu »

buddhu wrote:Don't panic. It can all end well. My own route in was via The Pogues... Not *strictly* trad.
:lol: :lol:
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com