Long London Layover - help!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
dfernandez77
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Long London Layover - help!

Post by dfernandez77 »

I'm not actually traveling to London, I just have a long layover at Gatwick Airport (10:00am to 6:45pm 24-May-06). I am attempting to book a noon brewery tour at Fuller's or Youngs.

If I am confirmed on a tour - any London locals have a recommendation - what is the best way to get from London Gatwick Airport to:
Griffin Brewery, Chiswick Lane South, Chiswick, London W4 2QB
or
Young's, 68 High Street, Wandsworth, London SW18 4LB

If I can't get a reservation for a brewery tour, is there any other recommended activity for a few hours - like maybe a train to the London Eye?

Thanks,
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
buddhu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Long London Layover - help!

Post by buddhu »

dfernandez77 wrote:I'm not actually traveling to London, I just have a long layover at Gatwick Airport (10:00am to 6:45pm 24-May-06). I am attempting to book a noon brewery tour at Fuller's or Youngs.

If I am confirmed on a tour - any London locals have a recommendation - what is the best way to get from London Gatwick Airport to:
or

If I can't get a reservation for a brewery tour, is there any other recommended activity for a few hours - like maybe a train to the London Eye?

Thanks,
I recommend the Eye on a clear day. Great views of the city with many famous landmarks visible. Cost per "flight", as they call the ride, is about £13 GBP per adult and less for kids. Personally, I think it's worth it. The ride takes about half an hour.
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Long London Layover - help!

Post by Redwolf »

buddhu wrote:
dfernandez77 wrote:I'm not actually traveling to London, I just have a long layover at Gatwick Airport (10:00am to 6:45pm 24-May-06). I am attempting to book a noon brewery tour at Fuller's or Youngs.

or

Thanks,
I recommend the Eye on a clear day. Great views of the city with many famous landmarks visible. Cost per "flight", as they call the ride, is about £13 GBP per adult and less for kids. Personally, I think it's worth it. The ride takes about half an hour.
I really ended up enjoying the Eye...I got some of my best "postcard" photos from there!

There are also other interesting things in that general vicinity...including Westminster Abbey (just around the corner) and a "Duck" tour in a WWII amphibious vehicle that shows you a few of the major sites around that area (Westminster Abbey, 10 Downing Street, Lambeth Palace, etc.) and even takes you out onto the Thames!

What I don't know is how you might get there from Gatwick. It's very easy from Heathrow...you can get the Underground to Victoria Station. I'm sure there's a bus, though, or perhaps it would be worth a cab ride.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
mukade

Post by mukade »

'The people who play the flat pipes usually have more peace of mind. I like that.'
- Tony Mcmahon
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

I've just spent an hour getting ten miles on the M40. I would be a little nervous about getting from Gatwick to London AND back between 10am and 6.45 pm.

Sorry. I'm sure it can be done. I'm just in a state of fume. I left Leicester at half-past four and was doing great time until I hit the M40. The High Wycombe roundabout was queued to the point that I gave up after an hour and went for the next exti (six miles on). It was queueing too, but not so badly.

If you are going to the London Eye, yes, sure it only take half-an-hour to go round it, but it has queues too. If you book your ticket on the Internet, it will be a LOT quicker. But if you are not at the EYE at 10 am, you will be queuing. I guarantee it.

I've been up it. what they don't tell you is it has glass floors (of course!).
And I'm nervous of heights. It was wonderful, it was just deeply unpleasant as well.

If you have a bit of spare cash, it might be worth booking a taxi. It'll cost you about £20 one way(ie £40 there & back). And they will go through gaps a bus could not.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
feadogin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by feadogin »

I recommend a long nap (ok, I don't deal with jet lag too well).

J.
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

feadogin wrote:I recommend a long nap (ok, I don't deal with jet lag too well).

J.
Haha! I'll have plenty time to sleep on the flight over the pond, and I arrive in Co. Kerry at 11:00pm so I'll be snoozing right after arrival.

Thanks for the tips everyone. I think I'll take the Gatwick Express to Victoria Station (30 minutes) and wander around for a while.

Do you think anyone speaks English over there?
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
Whistling Willie
Tell us something.: I love whistling and I have been a member of this forum for many years now.I have found it very informative and helpful over the years that I have been here.

Post by Whistling Willie »

Have used this a few times getting from Gatwick into Victoria in central London,it really is a great service,theres a train about every 15 minutes and it only takes 30 mins for the journey and it's only £14.20 for a day return :D
If you are going to the eye take the tube from Victoria to Westminster which only takes about 4 or 5 minutes.
"Obsessed is a word the lazy use to describe the dedicated"
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Hmm... had a pretty good layover in Memphis... a long one in Dallas... I just hate when I'm stuck somewhere I could drive home from quicker.
Reasonable person
Walden
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

My wife confirms that the Gatwick Express bus service is speedy and reliable. (I've only ever driven there)

And the snarl up at High Wycombe was due to a BMW overturned. So as we agreed at work, it's an ill wind that blows nobody any good.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!