Ulleann vs Whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
William T. Anderson

Ulleann vs Whistle

Post by William T. Anderson »

I'd love to learn how these two instruments compare, difs and sims...I'm having a set of Ulleans custom made and we have some of the best in the world here at C&F who play both so any insights would be a blessing...

WTA
Trip-
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Trip- »

the first and most important difference:
Price ;)
josh perkins

Post by josh perkins »

One is a highly sophisticated bagpipe and one is a fipple flute. The only similarity between the two is a rudimentary comparability in the method of fingering the scale.
DarthWeasel

Post by DarthWeasel »

Congrats, who is making your set?

This is coming from a 1yr piper 1yr whistler so I can give you some of the things that I've run into from the start. The first thing is don't be disappointed if your unable to create 'Music' with the Uilleann chanter in the first week or month. It took me three months to play Maggie in the Woods and when I was done I broke out into a full sweat. It takes a few months to really build up the initial coordination of bellows and bag and at first you don’t use your energy efficiently (hence why I was worn out).

As for fingering differences there are a number of them.
The most obvious is the back thumb hole which is your middle D with all other holes closed.
The second most obvious is the E, unlike the whistle there is an extra hole which is covered by your left hand pinky finger (Assuming you’re right handed). To get the E you actually lift both the pinky finger and ring finger.
The third most obvious difference, and this is up for debate since there are two styles of playing (Open vs. Closed) is that as a beginner you should lean on the closed style (More fingers on the chanter = more control). So for instance, the cross fingering for a whistle playing A would be
XXOOOO and on the Uilleann chanter it would be XXOXXXX with back D closed.
Finally Low D – this is done with all fingers closed and lifting the chanter off the knee, which is were it should normally rest to close off the bottom hole. When I went to pick up my new pipes David Power heard me play and commented that I really needed to be going for the Hard D all the time. This is Low D usually introduced by an A cut with extra bag pressure. It has a brassy sound.
That pretty much covers it for the first octave. To play in the second octave you have to do some tricks with some of the notes, like to get the High A you can’t just lift you’re A finger, play a lower note such as high E or high F# then quickly open the A then close off the chanter.
That’s the start I guess, Enough differences?
"Sleep well, and dream of large women"
William T. Anderson

Post by William T. Anderson »

Darth.

Awesome insights...
IDAwHOa
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Plug your nose and try to hum or sing: That is what pipes sound like.

Listen to the call of a song bird: That is what a whistle sounds like.

No, really, I am totally serious about this.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Yeah, I guess you either love 'em or you hate 'em. I'm with IDAwHOa.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
seisflutes

Post by seisflutes »

Pipes are more interesting. :)
DarthWeasel

Post by DarthWeasel »

Also its critical as a beginner to have a piper to go to. Even just to make sure that your set is working properly. The first week I played, I had convinced myself that there was a problem with the reed. I took it to my teacher and he started playing and it sounded awesome. That was a bit frustrating.
"Sleep well, and dream of large women"
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

seisflutes wrote:Pipes are more interesting. :)
To say the least! :P
DarthWeasel wrote:he started playing and it sounded awesome.
Um, yeah, sure. :lol:

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

How can you listen to Liam O'Flynn playing 'Cunla' and not want to play the pipes?
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

I've said this before, but I find pipes to be extremely frightening.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Ann

Post by Ann »

I've been wondering for a long time.. How does one pronounce uilleann correctly?

Good luck with learning, I'm with Congrats though, I'm in love with the sound but the idea of playing them is intimidating.
OBrien

Post by OBrien »

Apparently, there's nothing to be afraid of- it's one of the safest instruments to play, having both an airbag and a safety belt.
IDAwHOa

Post by IDAwHOa »

Ann wrote:the idea of playing them is intimidating.
I watched Doc Jones play a set a couple of days after getting one in. The closest thing I can say to describe it is sounding like a goose trying to fly in three different directions at the same time. :boggle: :o :oops: :lol:

His kids were all given the "opportunity" to try them. Each one, without exception described it a being strapped into some sort of ancient, midevil (emphasis on the evil!) torture device. :moreevil:
O'Brien wrote:Apparently, there's nothing to be afraid of- it's one of the safest instruments to play, having both an airbag and a safety belt.
That is true, but all those sticks flying around would be scary.