Flute Player in Kurun

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
upooper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Flute Player in Kurun

Post by upooper »

Hello

Would anyone know the name of the flute player in the Breton band Kurun and if he has any solo recordings?

Thanks in advance.
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

Brilliant, isn't he?

His name is Yann Cariou. I believe he also plays several kinds of bagpipes; I'm not aware of any solo albums.
pixyy
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Just updating my profile after 16+ years of C&F membership. Sold most of my flutes, play the ones I still own and occasionally still enjoy coming here and read about flute related subjects.

Post by pixyy »

Very good player indeed (both flute, highland pipes and Binou-koz :o ). I saw him in concert here in Copenhagen a couple of years ago with the band Spoum.
Attended a workshop with him the day after, which was my introduction to Breton music. The other members of the band gave workshops on their respective instruments and one person working with dancers. At the end of the day we all joined up and played the tunes we learned for the dancers to dance to. It all made sense!

I'm not aware of any recorded work from him - whether with Kurun or Spoum. Would be very interested though!

cheers,
Jeroen
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

pixyy wrote:I'm not aware of any recorded work from him - whether with Kurun or Spoum. Would be very interested though!
Kurun does have a CD, called "Kej Mej," and you'll hear plenty of his flute playing there.
pixyy
Tell us something.: Just updating my profile after 16+ years of C&F membership. Sold most of my flutes, play the ones I still own and occasionally still enjoy coming here and read about flute related subjects.

Post by pixyy »

Thanks Brad!
I knew I could count on you :)

I'll look for an online place to order it (that gives info in another language then french... I should have paid attention in school)

cheers,
Jeroen
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

I'll have to hunt for that one.

Here's what Jean-Michel Veillon said about Kurun - Kej Mej.
Le travail de collectage et d'enseignement est une chose, mais le travail de réappropriation artistique, d'interprétation et d'arrangement en est une autre : Kurun démontre magistralement comment le second peut transcender le premier. Si on l'admet que le pouvoir d'imaginer est en cette fin de siècle une des conditions de la survie culturelle, on reconnait en Kurun, à travers ce très bel enregistrement, l'un des groupes les plus marquants de la musique bretonne.
Or for those qui ne sont pas francophons: a tweaked Babelfish translation.
The work of collecting and teaching is one thing, but the artistic work of reappropriation, interpretation and arrangement is another. Kurun shows magistrally* how the second can transcend the first. If it is admitted that the capacity to imagine is one of the conditions of cultural survival at the end of this century, Kurun is recognizably, through this very beautiful recording, one of the most outstanding Breton music groups.
*The French text says magistralement but I couldn't find an adequate translation so I just changed it from the French adverb suffix to the English adverb suffix.

Yec'hed mat!
Aaron
KateG

Post by KateG »

magistralement How about "masterfully"?
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

That's how I understood it but I didn't want to assume and lose anything in translation.
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

According to Larousse it means "authoritatively" or "brilliantly."
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

Thanks, Brad. My "Petit Robert" is packed away somewhere. I should let him out.
pixyy

Post by pixyy »

Apparently not easy to find an oline resource for Breton Music Cd's...
Just left a message on
http://www.musiques-bretonnes.com/index_en.php asking about the availability of Kurun's "Kej Mej". The site claims to be able to supply any music released in Brittany!

Another site listed another album by Kurun called "Trios"... anyone familiar with that one?

cheers,
Jeroen
phcook

Post by phcook »

What about the CD called "Trios"? (printed by Pixie)
Breizh soner
pixyy

Post by pixyy »

<contact@musiques-bretonnes.com> wrote:We would like to thank for the interest you showed on our products.
Unfortunatly, the cd you looking for is not available.
Musiques Bretonnes et Brittany Shops are focused on the major productions. This item isn't past of their range.
Wishing you the best luck to find out what you are looking for we stay at your disposal for any informations.
the quest continues :cry:
pixyy

Post by pixyy »

phcook wrote:What about the CD called "Trios"? (printed by Pixie)
I actually found a page with sound samples here:
http://tamm-kreiz.com/kalon/tk.php?acti ... bum&id=145
there are also samples of "Kej Mej" there.
Just doesn't look like one can actually order the CD's.

Checked all pages Gooogle returned with "kej Mej" Kurun, and found not one online shop. French Amazon lists Kurun's 2 titles as Actuellement indisponible

Looks like I'm forked :sniffle:
phcook

Post by phcook »

I bought mine second hand (Trios CD).
Breizh soner