How Well do You Understand Your Yuk Factor?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Wombat
antispam: No

How Well do You Understand Your Yuk Factor?

Post by Wombat »

I'm interested to know what kind of thing provokes a yuk response in you?

I'd also like to know how, if at all, you would explain your dispositions to someone who was puzzled by them. I'm not asking you to think about what makes you squeamish any more than you have already; I'd just like to know what your 'off the cuff' response would be to someone who asked you why just those things trigger your response.

This isn't in any way a 'trick' question. I could say more about why I'm asking but I don't want to influence your answers. Probably later I shall say why I'm asking.
buddhu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by buddhu »

In the hope that I'm interpreting the question correctly...

Yuk inducers:

* Animal carcasses in butcher shops that are still recognisably animal shaped. (Can't explain really. I just find it disgusting in a way that a rasher of bacon isn't)
* The smell of raw meat when passing a butcher shop. (It's just sickly)
* The smell of raw fish when passing a fishmonger. (Ditto)
* The excement of any species I can think of. (Just dirty and horrible)
* Roadkill. (I think it's linked to the "OH NO!" guilt thing that I experienced on the few times I ever ran over anything)
* TV depictions of injuries/operations. (Can't explain. I think it's an empathy thing)
* Greasy hair. (Usually unnecessary. Horrible)
* Dirty fingernails. (Not when someone has just finished gardening, but in general unnecessary and horrible)
* Handrails on escalators, public stairs and subway trains. (Just call me Howard Hughes Jnr)
* Public toilet seats and door handles. (Ditto)
* beetroot. (The work of Satan)

Ok, ok... I'll get some help...

Edit: Damn those typos - especially when you copy and paste, thus duplicating them!
Last edited by buddhu on Wed May 17, 2006 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

4 Unwashed people.
3 Snot.
2 Drooling.
1 Food on people's faces. (OMG that makes me sick. I knew a guy who could not eat so much as a Lifesaver without getting it on his face. It makes me ill to this day and that was 25 years ago.)

5 Unflushed toilets
6 Smelly bathrooms
7 Cat doo-doo
8 Slugs
9 Snails

Amazingly vomit and carcasses doesn't bother me.
Last edited by Flyingcursor on Wed May 17, 2006 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

buddhu wrote:In the hope that I'm interpreting the question correctly...
Perfectly correctly. Sorry it came out a bit convoluted. I suppose it's just: what makes you go yuk and why (if you think you know)?
buddhu wrote: Ok, ok... I'll get some help...
I'd be a bit very suspicious if somebody's list came out looking completely rational, actually. The why bit is what people don't usually ask.

Thanks for playing.
rebl_rn

Post by rebl_rn »

I have a bigger problem with smells causing a yuk factor than sights. I can look at just about anything and I will probably find it interesting rather than disgusting. But if I have to smell it, then I have a problem. I honestly have no idea why smells bother me more.

The worst smells for me:

The smell when a roof is being tarred. One year when I was in college, they were tarring the roof right outside my dorm room window for a week. Even with the window shut the smell got in. That was a very, very long week.

The smell of rotting flesh - do I need to explain?

The smell of feces, especially when it's in copious amounts and not where it's supposed to be (i.e. smeared all over the walls of someone's room)
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
emmline

Post by emmline »

Here's the weird thing.

Yuck:
Roadkill
Carcasses left by the cats.
these are things I must remove with a snow shovel, by blurring my vision and doing my best not to feel the sensation of the body sliding onto the shovel.

Not yuck:
I used to be a vet tech. Surgery was no problem. Major wounds were no problem. Recently euthanized animals were no problem.

It's the ones I come upon already deceased that throw me.
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

Flyingcursor wrote:
buddhu wrote:...

* The small of raw meat when passing a butcher shop. (It's just sickly)
* The small of raw fish when passing a fishmonger. (Ditto)
So large ones don't bother you? ...
Drat. I meant 'smell' obviously. Copying and pasting just made me seem twice as stupid. :oops:
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Chamomille Tea.

I have tried it several times when I was having trouble sleeping and, each time,after one tiny sip my throat closed up and I thought I was about to choke. Just thinking about the stuff makes me feel sick. I have no idea at all why this happens.

Roadkill used to really freak me out when I lived in Dublin but now that I live on the very edge of the countryside I have become inured to it by seeing it every day.

Speaking about the countryside, although I spend a lot of my days off out and about taking pictures, I would never get closer than ten yards to anything that lives on a farm. Horses, cattle,sheep and pigs are to be avoided at all costs. Maybe it's because I'm a city boy at heart but whatever the reason may be, I give these animals a very wide berth.
That's not really a Yuck as I will often stop for a look at them but getting close...now that's a major Yuck :wink:

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
emmline

Post by emmline »

dubhlinn wrote:I would never get closer than ten yards to anything that lives on a farm. Horses, cattle,sheep and pigs are to be avoided at all costs.
Dang. Now we can't run away together. Mrs. D and Mr. E can relax.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

emmline wrote:
dubhlinn wrote:I would never get closer than ten yards to anything that lives on a farm. Horses, cattle,sheep and pigs are to be avoided at all costs.
Dang. Now we can't run away together. Mrs. D and Mr. E can relax.
We could compromise and live near a Zoo, or a Natural history museum.

It just crossed my mind that in Dublin, the Natural history museum has always been known as the Dead Zoo.

Slan,
D. :lol:
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Vomit... especially the kind that has peas and spagetti in it.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

dubhlinn wrote:Chamomille Tea.
Had my tonsils yanked out and drank a ton of it. Cannot even stand the smell.

Brushing my teeth with bacon fat and the residue it leaves behind gives the creeps.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:Vomit... especially the kind that has peas and spagetti in it.
Way to maintain that classy rep, Mr Smith. :P

Wombat, can I add graphic descriptions of vomit to my Yuk list, please?
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

Dead guy and puke.

And that really gross stuff you find in the back of the refrigerator that has sat there so long it has liquified.
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
missy

Post by missy »

dubhlinn wrote:Chamomille Tea.

I have tried it several times when I was having trouble sleeping and, each time,after one tiny sip my throat closed up and I thought I was about to choke. Just thinking about the stuff makes me feel sick. I have no idea at all why this happens.

Dub - you wouldn't maybe have any allergies? Chamomille is "known" as a cross allergy species - for instance if you are allergic to ragweed, you may also show symptoms to Chamomille.

Anyway - on the "yuck" factor.........

I have a "weak" stomach. What I mean by that is I get nauseous very easy. I get car sick (and so I usually drive, doesn't happen then). I get sick on planes (especially small ones). I get sick on boats. I get sick when I have a migraine. I had "morning" sickness so bad with Noah that I wound up being hospitalized. I've gotten sick every single time I've had any anestesia (I know that's not spelled correctly). I got sick when I had a kidney stone. I get sick if I get REALLY upset. Phenergan is my friend...........

However - I really don't get nauseous by gross things. Bodily emmissions or body parts - nope. Animals - smells, parts, butchering, mucking stalls - nope. I may say it's gross - but I don't get to the point where I can't "stand" it. Honestly - I can't remember being in a situation where I got really "sick" over something.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com