WhistleThis.com Launches...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Wynder
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Wynder »

anniemcu wrote:Looks Great! One thing though... the dates are listed as "Wednesdays", though neither of them actually *are* Wednesdays... LOL!
Hah, thanks! I'm still doing the news manually now until I get it setup in the database. Human error. Pfft. :)

Fixed!

Rob/Wynder
Rob/Wynder
Whistle This - Founder
Wynder

Post by Wynder »

That's actually the musical I had arranged for our current tune -- I use Finale for the standard notation, a special font for the whistle notation...
Joseph E. Smith wrote:Is this your arrangement Peter? It's a nice one. Nice site Wynder!
Rob/Wynder
Whistle This - Founder
Wynder

Post by Wynder »

You'll have to forgive me, Peter... I'm not familliar with the notation you're explaining -- mind dumbing it down for me? ;p
Peter Laban wrote:Maybe pointing out the obvious but where the tune goes f2 fd e2 e2 (bars 7 and 15) ~g3 e ~f3 e would be more appropriate
Rob/Wynder
Whistle This - Founder
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Sorry, ABC notation, I assumed too easily it's the norm for notational things here. Effectively your bars 7 and 15 would seem a full tone below the normal way of playing. Which makes that phrase a bit odd. The way I wrote it ~g3 e ~f3 e would mean long rolls on (octave) g and f and each followed by e leading up to the next roll
boomerang

Post by boomerang »

The silver spear is a great tune.
but......
try to imagine your heartbeat after the best sex you have ever had,
now tap your foot in time to the imagined heartbeat.
damn that feels good doesnt it...sigh...ok

um.. er.. ok
now remember this tune is a dance tune, a reel
picture how a dancer would, skip in( 4 steps) and bow to their partner, skip back
skip in and do se do by the right shoulder (4 steps) and back( 4 steps)
do se do by the left shoulder and back (4 steps) and back (4 steps)
skip in and swing your partner by the right arm (4 beats) and back to your place
do the same with your left arm and back to your place
just for the hell of it do the same again with both arms, and back to your place
etc etc, or.... as a dance caller would call that particular dance,
the point is,
i believe it should be at a tempo and pace and lilt that would allow a dancer or even an audience participant to feel lifted in the performance,
the tune rocks,
the challenge of the player is to leave those who hear the tune with an uplifted feeling, as if you would want to hear it repeated for the next 10 minutes, just cos it makes you feel good about the sh*t world you live in,

do that and you have the tune by the short and curly's
btw Peters version is as good as it gets, in my opinion,
david
Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level then beat you with experience!!
Wynder

Post by Wynder »

No worries -- I grew up playing concert music, so I never really bothered to learn anything outside of standard notation. Anyhow, I couldn't hear your version in my head, so I went back into Finale and tossed it in there so I could hear it... Yes, I gotcha now. :)

Is that how it's 'supposed' to go? I see that is pretty much how it's interpreted on thesession.org and I was writing this from remember how we play it at my local session, but I very well could be wrong. If that's the case, I'll go ahead and correct it today.

Thanks!
Rob

Peter Laban wrote:Sorry, ABC notation, I assumed too easily it's the norm for notational things here. Effectively your bars 7 and 15 would seem a full tone below the normal way of playing. Which makes that phrase a bit odd. The way I wrote it ~g3 e ~f3 e would mean long rolls on (octave) g and f and each followed by e leading up to the next roll
Rob/Wynder
Whistle This - Founder
Wynder

Post by Wynder »

boomerang wrote:i believe it should be at a tempo and pace and lilt that would allow a dancer or even an audience participant to feel lifted in the performance.
david
See, David... that's something I'd never thought of -- looking at it from a dancer's perspective. We have a board over there on interpretation of the current tune we're learning... I'd love it if someone gave advice from that point of view there.

Wynder
Rob/Wynder
Whistle This - Founder
fearfaoin
antispam: No

Post by fearfaoin »

Wynder wrote:Is that how it's 'supposed' to go?
That's how I'm used to it, so I have trouble playing your version.
That doesn't mean it's wrong, it just means that when I upload it
to the site, it will not follow the written music. I hope that's OK w/ you.
I guess it falls under "interpretation" :)

You should learn at least the basics of ABC, Wynder. It makes it much
easier to talk about sections of the music on forums without having to
upload a picture of the measure you're talking about every time...
Wynder

Post by Wynder »

fearfaoin wrote: I hope that's OK w/ you.
I guess it falls under "interpretation" :)
Pfft! You all don't need my blessing to play music how you want -- traditional music is the celebration of variations on a melody. Besides, I just updated the sheet music and sound clip to be 'correct'.
You should learn at least the basics of ABC, Wynder. It makes it much
easier to talk about sections of the music on forums without having to
upload a picture of the measure you're talking about every time...
I hear that -- I will definitely do that!

Wynder/Rob
Rob/Wynder
Whistle This - Founder
DarthWeasel

Post by DarthWeasel »

I have a question, This concept of 'Current Tune'
Is this something that you will change manually from time to time? At what intervals (I think weekly might be good to give people time to record and comment)?

You may want to automate this. I know on the NPU site the Dublin reel sat there for months as the tune of the month because the site was pretty static.

If you do decided on a schedule, I'd explicity say that on the index page to give people a "warm and fuzzy"
"Sleep well, and dream of large women"
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

I'll jump on the bandwagon and go so far as to suggest that it would be a big help to many if you could provide ABC notation for the tunes on your website as well Wynder.

As for the site in general: Nice going, I think it has the potential to be a REALLY helpful tool if some highly skilled pure drop players were to contribute clips, and explanations of why they are playing things (within the tune) the way they do.

Loren
Wynder

Post by Wynder »

What's up, brutha!

Right on the main page it says: "Every two weeks a new traditional tune is posted"... Right now it's semi-automated in that it's being pulled from a database, so it's been templated; however, I still have arrange the tune, do the dot notation and get the MP3 clip prepared. Right now I have our current tune and two others that are ready to go, so I'm good for at least a month and a half. ;) I'm gonna get some others ready too and maybe see about enlisting help of some others to help with moderation and updates.

Thanks and try to make session tommorow! ;p

Rob
DarthWeasel wrote:I have a question, This concept of 'Current Tune'
Is this something that you will change manually from time to time? At what intervals (I think weekly might be good to give people time to record and comment)?

You may want to automate this. I know on the NPU site the Dublin reel sat there for months as the tune of the month because the site was pretty static.

If you do decided on a schedule, I'd explicity say that on the index page to give people a "warm and fuzzy"
Rob/Wynder
Whistle This - Founder
Wynder

Post by Wynder »

Thanks, Loren!

I'll have to really learn it, but if anyone is willing to contribute by giving me the tunes in ABC notation, I'll gladly post them. I appreciate the compliments as well -- we already have a few great tunes, but I'd definitely love to see people explain more about their version.

Rob/Wynder
Loren wrote:I'll jump on the bandwagon and go so far as to suggest that it would be a big help to many if you could provide ABC notation for the tunes on your website as well Wynder.

As for the site in general: Nice going, I think it has the potential to be a REALLY helpful tool if some highly skilled pure drop players were to contribute clips, and explanations of why they are playing things (within the tune) the way they do.
Loren
Rob/Wynder
Whistle This - Founder
DarthWeasel

Post by DarthWeasel »

Right on the main page it says: "Every two weeks a new traditional tune is posted"...
My Bad... :D

My only other thought is that for people who are eger to post, 2weeks may seem like a long time. I guess since this site is just starting its hard to say what the proper frequency should be. But I believe that if the content of a site changes frequently then that would entice people to re-visit.

I think if you get like 5 uploads for a tune or if it been a week then it should be on to the next tune (there are alot of them, we've gotta get moving).
"Sleep well, and dream of large women"
Wynder

Post by Wynder »

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing -- I can change the frequency depending on how often folks upload but, initially, I just wanted to make sure everyone got a chance to learn it and upload.

As we go through the first couple of tunes, I'm sure I'll get an idea of who is going to be the regular group and keep the tune current to give the majority of the people a chance to get it up. The tune can always be accessed through the "Previous Tunes" link.

I'll definitely be looking for feedback as time progresses.
DarthWeasel wrote:
Right on the main page it says: "Every two weeks a new traditional tune is posted"...
My Bad... :D

My only other thought is that for people who are eger to post, 2weeks may seem like a long time. I guess since this site is just starting its hard to say what the proper frequency should be. But I believe that if the content of a site changes frequently then that would entice people to re-visit.

I think if you get like 5 uploads for a tune or if it been a week then it should be on to the next tune (there are alot of them, we've gotta get moving).
Rob/Wynder
Whistle This - Founder