Oh what do you do with a BS in geology?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
TelegramSam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by TelegramSam »

I could probably find something if I moved to Atlanta but unfortunatly I can't really drive, especially not in city traffic. I think the big problem is that I live in an area with no economy. There's a lot of retired folks and a bunch of hillbilly types living on the gov't dole and a few logging/construction type jobs for the rest.

Well I've applied to the Subway down the street, not exactly posh but at least I won't be sitting on my butt all summer. <.<

I'll give Tennessee another couple months, they take ages to process those things after all. If not I guess I can try georgia state, their program kind of stinks but it's better than nothing.
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>
Doug_Tipple
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

I have a BS (Bull ___) degree in Geology from Indiana University. I decided that I didn't want to work for a large oil or mining company, so I ended up using the training in science in whatever job that I could find. I was a liaison officer (because I could communicate well) for a large scientific research organization, and I also was a testing laboratory supervisor (on the job training) for a aerospace manufacturing company, both of the aforementioned jobs I found listed in my local newspaper.

Sam, it sounds like you will have a hard time finding a job that will utilize your skills in the area where you now live. You may need to move closer to where the jobs are (metropolitan areas in your state, like Nashville). Also, it may take you several jobs before you finally find one that you really like, so keep trying. The process is frustrating but interesting, in my opinion.
Last edited by Doug_Tipple on Tue May 16, 2006 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

Tyler Morris wrote:You might be able to get a job as a high school teacher for a while, until you find something that pays better.

Geology is a rough field to get a job in, man. Best o' luck to ya!
A buddy of mine has a geology degree, and went back to school to pursue an English degree after almost a year of not being able to score a job (but he was to proud to "lower" his standards and teach HS or something. )

I have another friend who just graduated this year with a bachelors degree in philosophy. I like to give him a hard time about not being able to find a job; I like to tell him his degree qualifies him to think deep thoughts about being unemployed! :lol: :D
My husband's major was geology, with minors in computer science, poly sci and theater. He used to joke that his college education qualified him to write computer animated plays about the political structure of rocks. :lol:

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
EricWingler

Post by EricWingler »

If I remember correctly, Michael Jordan has a degree in geology. He seems to have done well. How are your basketball skills? :D
Eric Wingler
A Whistling Mathematician
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Sam, in Australia very few people get the kind of employment they want with just an undergraduate degree, even when they allowed themselves to be persuaded to do 'sensible' vocational courses like engineering. Since there is even less emphasis in the US on vocational undergraduate training than there is here, I suspect the situation would be even worse.

Most engineers here go into management eventually and never work as engineers. There was a time not so long ago when work was so scarce that many students couldn't complete the job placement part of their degree because they couldn't find work, even though they would be working for nothing. Since engineering is a high stress, fact-cramming kind of course, I really couldn't work out why students chose to do it when their odds of getting a job in the area were minimal.
djm

Post by djm »

EricWingler's avator is a polyhedron rotating:

1). left to right ?

2). right to left?

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Jack

Post by Jack »

djm wrote:EricWingler's avator is a polyhedron rotating:

1). left to right ?

2). right to left?

djm
Just say sideways.
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

EricWingler wrote:If I remember correctly, Michael Jordan has a degree in geology. He seems to have done well. How are your basketball skills? :D
No...his degree is in geography, not geology.

That used to be a joke when we lived in NC: "What is the highest paid UNC major? Geography, because that's what Michael majored in!"

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Jack

Post by Jack »

Redwolf wrote:No...his degree is in geography, not geology.
A lot of people get those two similar-sounding names mixed up, including myself. :oops:
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

1). left to right ?

2). right to left?
Yes.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
emmline

Post by emmline »

jsluder wrote:

1). left to right ?

2). right to left?
Yes.
Slude, you beat me to it.
DavidT

Post by DavidT »

Study the following phrase carefully before interviewing...

"Would you like fries with that?"

Just kidding.

With oil prices skyrocketing, there is going to be more activity in the oil fields, and a demand for geologists who know how to help squeeze oil out of shale and sand. Maybe some concentrated post-grad work?
Hi. My name is David and I'm a whistleholic.
chrisoff
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by chrisoff »

Oil companies are the obvious choice really with a geology degree. And it should be far from minimum wage as well. Everyone I know who did geology at Uni earns a lot more than me and we all work in oil (to be fair 3/4 of this part of scotland work in oil). Apart from one person who works for a government quango (Scottish Natural Heritage), but then he lives on a boat and we don't talk about him...
Jeferson
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jeferson »

In Canada, mining companies are having a hard time finding workers in a variety of roles. Lots of job fairs on the west coast. Here's a spot to check out if you're curious about making a BIG move!

http://www.cim.org/vancouver2006/career ... irHome.cfm

Jef
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

I honestly don't think I could work for an oil company and still be able to sleep at night. If I do manage to get into UT by some miracle, it'll be for a hydrology degree. Environmental work is a huge exercise in futility for the most part, but at least I won't have to shoot myself in 15 years.

Well, at least sandwich shops don't involve deep fry vats...
<i>The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.</i>