“300 Tunes from Mike Rafferty”

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
JeffS
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

“300 Tunes from Mike Rafferty”

Post by JeffS »

Of those who have this, what comments have ye?

Anyone have Lesl Harker's e mail address to order the compilation.
"Where I came from, to get enough to eat was an achievement. To get enough to get drunk was a victory" (Brendan Behan)
Jack Bradshaw

Post by Jack Bradshaw »

Being a big Mike admirer, I realy feel the need for a companion CD.....(or set, I guess)......can't seem to get the "feel" between these tunes and the dots from the "studio" recordings....(well, most of them anyway)

.......not that I can do much better w/ others..........
603/329-7322
"I fail to see why doing the same thing over and over and getting the
same results every time is insanity: I've almost proved it isn't;
only a few more tests now and I'm sure results will differ this time ... "
Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

withak

Post by withak »

I like it. If nothing else, it's a lot of tunes in a relatively small book for those of us who practice somewhere that isn't at home and have trouble remembering what we wanted to play when no one else is around to start tunes. It's interesting to see where the breaks for breathing are, though I hardly ever end up breathing in those places. :)
Unseen122
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I don't have it, but I have seen it. For someone who likes to read the dots it is a great resource.
Jumbuk

Post by Jumbuk »

I have several other tune books. I like the Rafferty book because it has tunes written down the way a flutie plays them. This has helped me identify the right flute "idiom" so I don't end up trying to replicate my banjo ornaments on the flute.

It is also a nice big compilation of tunes that includes a few I haven't seen anywhere else.

About the only "weakness" is that some tunes are quite different to the "usual" way I have heard them played (e.g. Maid behind the Bar). This is not really a weakness at all, because it reflects the diversity of styles and learning networks in the folk process.
glinjack

Post by glinjack »

Its a great book i believe, and a must for all beginner and some advanced flute players,
I dont need it as i have more tunes in my head than they could write in five books,
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

Jumbuk wrote: I like the Rafferty book because it has tunes written down the way a flutie plays them.
Quite right. They're not just 'tunes', they're transcriptions of Mike's playing.

I think I'm right in saying that at leat 42 of the tunes appear on Mike's various CDs, and while some of them he plays on the pipes ("Down the Back Lane/O'Shaughnessy's" springs to mind) the tunes are still transcribed from his fluting.

Lesl's done a fantastic job of 'conservation' as well, and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a Volume 2 (and quite possibly an accompanying CD as well) in the foreseeable future.

In addition to all this, the notes sections at the back of the book provide some interesting and amusing anecdotes concerning the tunes and how and where Mike got them.

With regard to some of the settings being 'different to the usual way they're played', Mike Rafferty (and thus the tunes in this book) has a direct and eminently 'traceable' lineage back through the tradition, so when it comes to the question of 'authenticity' or 'setting', any snoots that might feel the need to be cocked should probably be directed at 'the usual way' found in sessions (courtesy of Mel Bay in all likelihood) rather than towards Mr Rafferty, methinks.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
daiv

Post by daiv »

Jumbuk wrote:I have several other tune books. I like the Rafferty book because it has tunes written down the way a flutie plays them. This has helped me identify the right flute "idiom" so I don't end up trying to replicate my banjo ornaments on the flute.
whats wrong with replicating some banjo ornamentation on the flute?
GaryKelly

Post by GaryKelly »

daiv wrote: whats wrong with replicating some banjo ornamentation on the flute?
Flutes look silly with ribbons and tinsel dangling off the end.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
Jack Bradshaw

Post by Jack Bradshaw »

GaryKelly wrote: With regard to some of the settings being 'different to the usual way they're played', Mike Rafferty (and thus the tunes in this book) has a direct and eminently 'traceable' lineage back through the tradition, so when it comes to the question of 'authenticity' or 'setting', any snoots that might feel the need to be cocked should probably be directed at 'the usual way' found in sessions (courtesy of Mel Bay in all likelihood) rather than towards Mr Rafferty, methinks.
You said it ! (the michievous Mr Bay in particular...for copyright reasons)
603/329-7322
cocusflute

Authentic...?

Post by cocusflute »

I always thought that the authentic version of the tune is the way the strongest player in the session is playing it.
You gonna say that Glinjack's version or Andy Mcgann's version of a tune is better or worse than Rafferty's?
The struggle in Palestine is an American war, waged from Israel, America's most heavily armed foreign base and client state. We don't think of the war in such terms. Its assigned role has been clear: the destruction of Arab culture and nationalism.
Jack Bradshaw

Re: Authentic...?

Post by Jack Bradshaw »

cocusflute wrote:You gonna say that Glinjack's version or Andy Mcgann's version of a tune is better or worse than Rafferty's?
Nope. But I have heard enough (and watched enough) of Mike at close range to believe he's the most economical (or ergonomical as well, I suppose) player I've ever seen.....you could cojecture that that relates well to a historical imperitive (Achmed's Razor) :o
603/329-7322
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Jack Bradshaw wrote:Being a big Mike admirer, I realy feel the need for a companion CD.....(or set, I guess)......can't seem to get the "feel" between these tunes and the dots from the "studio" recordings....(well, most of them anyway)

.......not that I can do much better w/ others..........
I'm joining in with Jack. I do wish for that CD set!!!
...."Clamber, clamber, clamber ..."
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
tin tin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

About the only "weakness" is that some tunes are quite different to the "usual" way I have heard them played...
That's precisely one of the book's great strengths! This isn't your "Five Million Irish Session Favorites"...it's real music as played by one of the greats.

Edited to add that Ossian USA has it, as well as Mike (and Mary) Rafferty's recordings.
www.ossianusa.com
Last edited by tin tin on Mon May 15, 2006 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.