my first whistlemaking effort

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

my first whistlemaking effort

Post by chas »

I've always been fascinated by wood and musical instruments. I built and sold several lap dulcimers when I was in school, have built several other instruments. So about a month ago I got myself a JET 9x20 lathe with the eventual goal of making wooden flutes. I figured I should learn to walk before I run, so I'm starting with whistles. I finished my first yesterday. Here's a pic:

and a sound clip:

http://home.comcast.net/~partello1/opus1.mp3

(Does anyone know the name of this tune?) The design is loosely based on the Abell/Schultz/Busman design. The body is made from a cedar tree I cut down in my yard a few years ago. There's some sap wood on the bottom side. The rings are some Thai boxwood I got from a flutemaker. It's no good for instrument bodies, but turns nicely. The whistle is far from perfect, but considering I had never turned a piece of wood till a month ago, I'm pretty pleased with it. I tell ya, I've found ways to make wood explode that I'd never thought possible.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
crookedtune
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

Beautiful to look at, Charlie!

The link doesn't seem to be funcitioning for me, but I'm anxious to hear it. I'm sure you've learned a lot, and are already thinking about what you'll do the next time around.

Good luck!
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

I love the design. Sort of what a Susato would look like if made from wood.
Reasonable person
Walden
chas

Post by chas »

Link should be fixed now. Damned case-sensitive html.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
CRC

Post by CRC »

Very nice! :)
Chiffed
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Chiffed »

Well done!

Have you tried turning Dymondwood yet? It's nice and predictable. Cedar can be a real bear to turn, and you've done admirably. The boxwood's nice, too.
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
raindog1970
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

Outstanding for a first effort... my first whistles wouldn't even play! :lol:
Just curious - how did you bore the tube with only a 20" lathe bed?
Mine is a 17", and I've been sticking to prefab tubing because of the length limitations.
I have to remove the tailstock to turn down the mouthpiece end of anything longer than a low G tube, but I'd like to make some acetal tubes and maybe try wood too.
I should be able to gun drill up to maybe a soprano C tube with a traditional tuning joint, but 1-piece tubes would be out of the question with such a short lathe bed.
I've heard mention of removing the tailstock and hand feeding a gun drill, but that sounds like a very good way to injure yourself! :P
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
Frederik Meesters

Post by Frederik Meesters »

wow! How nice! And you never turned wood untill a month ago?!
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

is that 2 whistles or the front and back of 1 whistle? looked very pretty and sounded nice too.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
chas

Post by chas »

Chiffed wrote: Have you tried turning Dymondwood yet? It's nice and predictable. Cedar can be a real bear to turn, and you've done admirably. The boxwood's nice, too.
I haven't tried dymondwood. I knew cedar would be a bear, but it was free. I've gotten a bunch of padouk, zebrawood, purpleheart, cocobolo, Honduran rosewood, and English boxwood. I'll start on the cheap and move on to the good stuff once I start getting predictable results.
raindog1970 wrote: Just curious - how did you bore the tube with only a 20" lathe bed?
This is a two-piece whistle, so no problem. I can drill longer tubes if they're thin enough by putting the shaft through the hole in the headstock, which is, I think, about 20-21 mm.
mutepointe wrote:is that 2 whistles or the front and back of 1 whistle? looked very pretty and sounded nice too.
It's the front and back on one whistle.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Wonderful, Charlie! :)
~JessieD
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

Sheesh, here comes the competition...

Seriously Chas, that's a terrific looking whistle. FWIW,even with the help of the legendary Glenn Schultz it took me over a year from the day I got my lathe to the day my first whistle played it's first notes. You are doing fabulously well.

Heckuva lot of fun isn't it? :D

You may want to consider a stronger material than Boxwood for your fittings-- various polymers would work well. If I end up with some Delrin too short for a whistle head, I'll send you a chunk. It machines well and is tough as all getout.

Keep up the good work.

BTW-- Gary, I turn my tubes on a 6x18 lathe, so it CAN be done. The C and D+ tubes are a stretch though: I have to slide the tailstock and gundrill off the bed, mount the wood in the steadyrest, then feed the gundrill into the starter hole and remount the tailstock.. It JUST makes it.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
chas

Post by chas »

brewerpaul wrote:You may want to consider a stronger material than Boxwood for your fittings-- various polymers would work well. If I end up with some Delrin too short for a whistle head, I'll send you a chunk. It machines well and is tough as all getout.
I'm just getting my feet wet with the boxwood fittings. I really wasn't expecting something playable at this point ;) , so was just using the boxwood to learn about making parts that fit together. I'm looking through the McMaster catalog for brass/bronze/stainless tubing of the appropriate diameters for fittings.* I'll probably also do some Grinter/Bleazey/Swayne style whistles with all-wood mouthpieces.

I'd certainly be interested in trying some Delrin.

*Any suggestions for other sources than McMaster-Carr and Small Parts? I'll also be interested in telescoping sterling tube for flutes. I haven't had any luck finding that.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
shadoe42

Post by shadoe42 »

that has a nice sound to it.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Very nice whistle Chas. PM/email your address to me and I will send you a piece of 3/4''od X 6''lg white delrin.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086