Knitting

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
spittin_in_the_wind
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Knitting

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

I am teaching myself how to knit. So far so good, and my son is looking forward to his new scarf soon. Somehow knitting seems to complement dulcimers, ocarinas, and whistles.

Robin
Jack

Post by Jack »

YES, IT DOES!! I love knitted things, especially knitted instrument cases. :)

One of my friend's dad held all kinds of titles and certificates in knitting.

I asked my friend to show me how to knit, but I was told that she DOESN'T knit--she crochets. Apparently there is a big difference my ignorant self didn't know about. :oops:

At any rate, I'm yet to learn. I'd love to, though...
izzarina

Post by izzarina »

My daughter knits, and is actually quite good at it. She makes doll clothes, sweaters (for regular sized people rather than dolls :wink: ), hats, scarves, mittens, socks...you name it. One of these days I'm going to have her show me how to do it too.

And yes, there is a huge difference between knitting and crocheting. I'm not sure about the whole thing, but I do know that with knitting you use at least 2 needles, while with crocheting, you use one hook. And the end result is also very different.
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I think knitting is a pretty neat thing. I like to knit when I'm listening to CD's. I'm working on a pair of socks and something has gone wrong so I have to deal with a problem which I can't do when I'm listening to CD's. Maybe tomorrow I'll get it all straightened out and get back to my little knitting, CD listening routine. Good luck on your scarf! I'm sure your son will love it.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
spittin_in_the_wind

A woman in my lab is currently begining crochet and showed me a little of it. It will probably be the next thing to try, after knitting. I went into a yarn shop in town the other day, it had been there a year and I didn't know it was there! Anyways, she said business is really good because knitting is "really big" right now.

Izz, that's pretty cool that your daughter is so good at knitting. My daughter is learning with me, and is pretty enthusiastic. You need to have your daughter teach you, it's not hard. The big thing I've learned so far is to stitch the yarn about 10 times looser than my natural inclination. That has helped a lot! I think that's why it's therapeutic, you have to let go of the tension or you won't be able to get the needle through the yarn! :lol:

Robin
missy

Post by missy »

my mom knits - I crochet. I can do "straight" knitting, but never learned how to do anything fancy, or increase or decrease stitches. I can do most of the fancy things in crochet. In fact, I made hats and scarves for a bunch of people for Christmas presents last year.
I love some of the yarns that are out there now. I DON'T like some of the prices, however.....
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Re: Knitting

Post by Walden »

spittin_in_the_wind wrote:I am teaching myself how to knit. So far so good, and my son is looking forward to his new scarf soon. Somehow knitting seems to complement dulcimers, ocarinas, and whistles.

Robin
We're looking forward to the new dulcimer cozies and ocarina warmers and whistle covers. :)
Reasonable person
Walden
Innocent Bystander

Re: Knitting

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Walden wrote:
spittin_in_the_wind wrote:I am teaching myself how to knit. So far so good, and my son is looking forward to his new scarf soon. Somehow knitting seems to complement dulcimers, ocarinas, and whistles.

Robin
We're looking forward to the new dulcimer cozies and ocarina warmers and whistle covers. :)
I was hoping Spittin_in_the_wind might knit me a whistle...
...or a Cranberry (but in a different colour)
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
brianormond

Post by brianormond »

-You say crocheto, I say knitahto.. :D
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

OK, that was funny. :P
emmline

Post by emmline »

In college, I knitted a couple of sweaters. Since then I have started a project or two which have foundered as a result of the complicated patterns I seemed determined to pick. The problem is, live gets too complicated to have to keep changing counts, and keep track of it.
A nice scarf, where you do the same thing the whole way, would be the way to go.
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Well, you hit on nearly all my current crafts and hobbies: whistles ocarinas (got a new one at Disney World last week!) dulcimers (guilty of not tuning my dulcimer in 6 months...maybe this evening) and knitting.

For me, specifically, lace knitting. I taught myself knitting and been at it for about 2 years now, and I'm currently in the middle of Peacock Feathers Shawl I LOVE doing lace.

My first (any only!) other large project was the Irish Diamonds Shawl. Details can be seen at here along with a few other items.

And Cranberry: knitting is done with two straight needles. Crochet is done with one hooked needle. There is also a combined form, but I don't know much about that. There are good books out there to teach you how, or nearly any yarn store would be delighted to get people started.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
spittin_in_the_wind

Tyghress wrote: For me, specifically, lace knitting. I taught myself knitting and been at it for about 2 years now, and I'm currently in the middle of Peacock Feathers Shawl I LOVE doing lace.

My first (any only!) other large project was the Irish Diamonds Shawl. Details can be seen at here along with a few other items.

Wow, that's impressive!! :)

Robin
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Those lacy shawls and scarves are lovely. I think I 'd like to knit a lacy scarf sometime. The instructions I've read for shawls looked like the construction is sort of weird----are they triangles first or something? It seemed like there was something that sounded tricky about getting them all in one piece.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Jack

Post by Jack »

What is it called when you're psychologically addicted to knitting (like WhOA)? My friend the other day went to Walmart where they were having a sale on a bunch of their yarns and bought $50 of yarn, which turned out to be about 4 whole bags full of yarn. I thought this was obsessive and suggested rehab, but I got smacked.