buying a wagon

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

buying a wagon

Post by Jack »

Ok. I have to get all my stuff across campus to move into summer housing. I want to do it myself. I know about using a chair to haul a fridge, but I want to possibly get one of those red kids wagons to haul all my stuff in, just cause I think it would be fun and neat to have a wagon. Do you think this is plausible? How much do those wagons cost?
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: buying a wagon

Post by Redwolf »

Cranberry wrote:Ok. I have to get all my stuff across campus to move into summer housing. I want to do it myself. I know about using a chair to haul a fridge, but I want to possibly get one of those red kids wagons to haul all my stuff in, just cause I think it would be fun and neat to have a wagon. Do you think this is plausible? How much do those wagons cost?
You'd do better to buy or rent some kind of garden cart. Those little red wagons are cute, but they can be hard to control, and they will tip if you try to pile more than a small child or two in them.

As far as how much they cost, your best bet might be to visit your local Toys R Us...or you could search on-line under "Radio Flyer" (that's the classic red wagon).

There are fancier and better children's wagons out there, but they get pretty pricey.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Yeah, I'm with you there, Red. They're called "trolleys" in these parts.

I mean those two-wheeled jobs with two handles and a ledge at the bottom. When I worked on the lemonade Lorries we could get four wooden crates of a dozen pint bottles on one. More was dangerous. But Garden Centres do them. You can even hire them from DIY places, which might be the best plan.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Hello, dollie:

"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
brianormond

Post by brianormond »

-Our family once moved from one suburban Detroit home to another via Radio Flyer red wagon (primarily)-to a home on the same block. The move became the suburban equivalent of communal barn raising, kids from blocks away appearing in hopes of shuttling one more load via wagon to the new home. The only things we paid movers for was moving the baby grand piano, Dad's granite-topped dresser and the mattresses.

-Chalk one up for community-based labor! (and the innate enthusiasm of kids)
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

brianormond wrote:-Our family once moved from one suburban Detroit home to another via Radio Flyer red wagon (primarily)-to a home on the same block. The move became the suburban equivalent of communal barn raising, kids from blocks away appearing in hopes of shuttling one more load via wagon to the new home. The only things we paid movers for was moving the baby grand piano, Dad's granite-topped dresser and the mattresses.

-Chalk one up for community-based labor! (and the innate enthusiasm of kids)
Speaking of which ...

I saw a feature about PlayPumps on public television the other night. Wonderful idea that could make a big difference for millions of people in developing countries.

http://www.playpumps.org/

(Hopefully, this won't sidetrack the thread completely. Please do continue to post suggestions for Cranberry's project.)

Best wishes,
Jerry
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Well, your campus is already loaded with moving devices, called "hand trucks." Why don't you just ask to borrow one from maintenance? The bookstore and the library (don't you work there?) probably have one, too.

Barring that, you can just do what most of the rest of us did, which is to carry an armload at a time.

Unless you just want someone to give you a red wagon, the wheels of which you'll ruin in just a few trips.
djm

Post by djm »

There are these places called supermarkets. People are perennially walking off with their shopping carts and then dumping these somewhere in the neighbourhood near by. Pick one of these carts up, if you can. They are great carriers for what you want; easily controlled and high-walled to carry a lot in one trip.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Where do you buy dollies?

Thanks so much everybody! The red wagon is a romantic idea but now I see it's kind of impractical...
Lambchop wrote:Why don't you just ask to borrow one from maintenance?
That's a good point.
The bookstore and the library (don't you work there?) probably have one, too.
Yes I do. But I've never seen one, except for the carts where we put books to be reshelved. Doesn't mean there isn't one though..
Barring that, you can just do what most of the rest of us did, which is to carry an armload at a time.
My illness prevents this I'm afraid. I can't carry much and I especially can't walk long distances while carrying stuff. I can't even carry my books some days.
Jack

Post by Jack »

djm wrote:There are these places called supermarkets. People are perennially walking off with their shopping carts and then dumping these somewhere in the neighbourhood near by. Pick one of these carts up, if you can. They are great carriers for what you want; easily controlled and high-walled to carry a lot in one trip.

djm
Actually it's against the law in my town to do this--if the police catch you with a shopping cart you can be arrested. This happened to two of my friends last semester. They took a cart from Walmart and the police didn't arrest them (you get kicked out of my college if you get arrested for anything), but they made them take it back and gave them a very strong verbal warning. They stopped just short of arresting them for theft because they knew they'd lose their college education over a shopping cart.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Jerry Freeman wrote:(Hopefully, this won't sidetrack the thread completely. Please do continue to post suggestions for Cranberry's project.)
I don't mind! I always encourage people to threadjack my posts. I think conversation normally flows in a way where people don't sit and talk about one thing all the time, so I encourage it in my posts (although I'm aware some people think it's rude--I obviously don't)! :)
flanum
Location: Cavan via Dublin, Skerries, Donabate, Ballinagh, Cavan, Ballyconnell, Ballinamore, Athlone, Cavan,

Post by flanum »

djm wrote:There are these places called supermarkets. People are perennially walking off with their shopping carts and then dumping these somewhere in the neighbourhood near by. Pick one of these carts up, if you can. They are great carriers for what you want; easily controlled and high-walled to carry a lot in one trip.

djm
And they are hilariously used to bring your extremely drunk friends home from the pub, but usually get diverted down the nearest hill(with drunk friend still in)! :lol:

BTW Do you have wheel barrows in U.S?
Listen to me young fellow, what need is there for fish to sing when i can roar and bellow?
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Yes, we have wheelbarrows in the States (also called <a href="http://www.randomhouse.com/wotd/index.p ... barrels</a> in some regions). I wouldn't recommend them for Cran's campus move; I've found them very difficult to manoeuvre on paved surfaces when heavily loaded, and the person controlling it still takes a large amount of the weight on himself.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

When my cousins got married (yes... that's what I said) he parked a car at the church so it could get messed up or whatever, and then after the wedding he snuck off to the car he was really planning to drive, pushing his bride in a wheelbarrow.
Reasonable person
Walden
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

My suggestions: an aluminum luggage rack (two wheels) with a sturdy box on the base will carry a lot and is designed for heavy loads. Another idea is to look for luggage with wheels. Some of these are sturdy and have a use for trips later.