Susato...Plastic Wonder

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
William T. Anderson

Post by William T. Anderson »

Give this a look and this may help...

http://www.kerrywhistles.net/movies/Tit ... les_06.wmv
Sliabh Luachra
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Sliabh Luachra »

So, here's an interesting thing. I have a D/C/Bflat set that I'm not really fond of. Actually, it's not that I don't like them, it's just that I don't play much whistle anymore and when I do I play my Sindt. How much would these being going for these days? And, is anyone interested?

Mark
"Only a mediocre person is always at his best." -Somerset Maugham
shadoe42

Post by shadoe42 »

William T. Anderson wrote:Give this a look and this may help...

http://www.kerrywhistles.net/movies/Tit ... les_06.wmv
hehe I love in that bit of video when he is talking about the eflat bit and the producers loved the Susato and they sound shocked hehe
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

Sliabh Luachra wrote:So, here's an interesting thing. I have a D/C/Bflat set that I'm not really fond of. Actually, it's not that I don't like them, it's just that I don't play much whistle anymore and when I do I play my Sindt. How much would these being going for these days? And, is anyone interested?

Mark
They are 69.80 new from The Whistle Shop.

If they are in good shape, and if you've still got the thumbrests and the pouch, and if the O-rings are good, and if they are black, you could PM me once you decide what you want for them.
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

shadoe42 wrote:Susato's are a lot like Generations in one way.. People tend to be at either end of the spectrum with thier opinions on them. Love em or Hate Em. Very few in betweens. I don't hate mine but I don't love them yet either. My Kerry low D...love it.. :) The Susatos are decent whistles but they are not really a begginner whistle in my opinion as they do take a pretty decent degree of breath control.
The issue is that when most people play them they sound like recorders. . . not whistles. In the hands of a master player with a great grasp of ornamentation and phrasing they can sound very "trad" but the basic timbre of the instrument is very different from other whistles.

They also work well in outdoor sessions because they are loud.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
falkbeer

Post by falkbeer »

I once posted a remark about the advantages of playing the whistle, and missed to point out one big advantage - they´re cheap - even expensive ones! You can own and try out a lot of them whitout taking a bank loan. If you for instance buy a saxophone or an original Gibson Les Paul you´re stuck. If you don´t like it you have either to sell it or learn to live with it.

/Falkbeer
Sliabh Luachra

Post by Sliabh Luachra »

gonzo914 wrote:
Sliabh Luachra wrote:So, here's an interesting thing. I have a D/C/Bflat set that I'm not really fond of. Actually, it's not that I don't like them, it's just that I don't play much whistle anymore and when I do I play my Sindt. How much would these being going for these days? And, is anyone interested?

Mark
They are 69.80 new from The Whistle Shop.

If they are in good shape, and if you've still got the thumbrests and the pouch, and if the O-rings are good, and if they are black, you could PM me once you decide what you want for them.
I'll check them out when I get home tonight and let you know.

Mark
"Only a mediocre person is always at his best." -Somerset Maugham
falkbeer

Re: Susato...Plastic Wonder

Post by falkbeer »

William T. Anderson wrote: High D, Bb, C set - VERY tight. Consistant volume through out. In tune and sound great. Alittle light in weight for my taste and I see why they include a thumb rest, when working on the second register, especially the C# it really is too light. The tone is not as pure as the copper made O'Brien's but the tonal quality is still very pleasing, very little chiff. All in all I will be keeping them in my bag.
WTA
Hi, how is the intonation? Is the second octave in tune or is it a wee bit flat (like moste straight bore whistles)?

/Falkbeer
William T. Anderson

Intonation is good up and down, only real issue is the very top D is sharp slightly... All else is remarkably on the money...
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

William T. Anderson wrote: High D, Bb, C set - VERY tight. Consistant volume through out.
William T. Anderson wrote:Intonation is good up and down, only real issue is the very top D is sharp slightly... All else is remarkably on the money...
You must be playing different Susatos from the ones I've tried. I don't see how it's possible to play a Susato with "consistent volume throughout" and in tune. To prevent the Susato from being significantly louder in the upper octave, particularly above the f#, you'd have to underblow it and it would go flat. Susatos are much louder in the upper octave than in the lower. (Not that there is anything wrong with that.)
/Bloomfield
William T. Anderson

It's my understanding that the second register is always proportionately louder than the lower on any whistle. The Susato D may be better said to be within what I have become accustomed to and not "importunately" louder than the other whistles I've played, hence therefore "consistent". I can see how my wording may have been misconstrued. The Susato high D is a very loud whistle, the lower register is loud and the high is also loud but if viewed from a percentage perspective it would seem to be a consistent percentage increase as other whistles I've owned and auditioned...

WTA
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

falkbeer wrote: Hi, how is the intonation? Is the second octave in tune or is it a wee bit flat (like moste straight bore whistles)?

/Falkbeer
Susatos are slightly conical for just this reason.
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
regor

Post by regor »

Chiffed wrote: Susatos are slightly conical for just this reason.
Slightly conical?? Must be a few microns... looks like a pipe to me...
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Bloomfield wrote:
William T. Anderson wrote: High D, Bb, C set - VERY tight. Consistant volume through out.
William T. Anderson wrote:Intonation is good up and down, only real issue is the very top D is sharp slightly... All else is remarkably on the money...
You must be playing different Susatos from the ones I've tried. I don't see how it's possible to play a Susato with "consistent volume throughout" and in tune. To prevent the Susato from being significantly louder in the upper octave, particularly above the f#, you'd have to underblow it and it would go flat. Susatos are much louder in the upper octave than in the lower. (Not that there is anything wrong with that.)
For the above reasons Bloomfield stated, I very much dislike Susatos in session settings; when they get to the 2nd octave, to me they're shrieky-sounding, intrusive. On the other hand, they seem to really shine when using a mike (plus you have the advantage of being able to back away from the mike when you're in the second register).
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
lyrick

Post by lyrick »

William, Susatos are well known for being more unbalanced between the octaves than most other whistles (check out past threads). It may be, as you said, that the whistles you usually play are also pretty unbalanced between the octaves, so the Susato seems 'normal'? Try Sindts, Humphreys and Burkes, if you play them next to Susatos you'll find that they're far better balanced, and I'm sure there are others.

Susatos are definitely conical, though--to confirm this you have to measure the inside of the whistle, not just look at the outside.
Love...Serve...Remember