Mutability of Fingerhole Ergonomics

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
JackFeeney

Mutability of Fingerhole Ergonomics

Post by JackFeeney »

That I know of, there are simple-system flute makers (Burns, Sweet...) who tend to consistently "promote" their skills at offsetting the G (T3) and D (B3) holes. (Just an eighth of an inch can make a HUGE difference...) And, I think, almost everyone at this forum would concede that offsetting those holes improves ergonomics and speed for flute players, yet doesn't harm tone. So why would any flute player want inline holes on their simple-system flute? They hurt your hands. They slow you down!
Jack Feeney
Jon C.
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Re: Mutability of Fingerhole Ergonomics

Post by Jon C. »

JackFeeney wrote:That I know of, there are simple-system flute makers (Burns, Sweet...) who tend to consistently "promote" their skills at offsetting the G (T3) and D (B3) holes. (Just an eighth of an inch can make a HUGE difference...) And, I think, almost everyone at this forum would concede that offsetting those holes improves ergonomics and speed for flute players, yet doesn't harm tone. So why would any flute player want inline holes on their simple-system flute? They hurt your hands. They slow you down!
I have small hands, and the inline holes are not a problem at all. On the other hand (no pun intended) I have met players that have learned on "ergonomic" flutes and can't pick up a inline flute and play it, as they hands have become familiar to the custom finger holes.
So I would say that in the long run it is better to get accustomed to playing with a inline holed flute. Of course if there is a medical problem tat makes it impossible to play and in line flute, then go for it!
Jut two cents worth...
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I find the "ergonomic" hole layout counter-intuitive. I've been playing instruments with inline holes off and on for 30-someodd years. I got a flute with an offset G awhile backI'm getting used to it. I don't find it any easier on the hands, but I do find that it makes it easier not to hold on with the pinky or RH3 when playing Csharps.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
glinjack

Post by glinjack »

JackFeeney wrote:That I know of, there are simple-system flute makers (Burns, Sweet...) who tend to consistently "promote" their skills at offsetting the G (T3) and D (B3) holes. (Just an eighth of an inch can make a HUGE difference...) And, I think, almost everyone at this forum would concede that offsetting those holes improves ergonomics and speed for flute players, yet doesn't harm tone. So why would any flute player want inline holes on their simple-system flute? They hurt your hands. They slow you down!
Total nonsense, most of the great flute makers of the 18th 19th and 20th
centuries used inline toneholes, some later makers who pretend to improve
flute design, just to hopefully get their names on the history book of flute improvement etc, and it does'nt help in anyway except in the mind of some
wanabe fluteplayer who speeds through the tune missing most of the notes,
and totally ruining the piece of music
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

I think that offset ergonomic finger holes for a flute make a lot of sense. It is true that flutes have traditionally been made with inline finger holes, but it doesn't follow that inline finger holes are therefore superior for that reason alone. I had a classic 1956 Chevrolet that was a beautiful car. However, it didn't have seat belts, and it had a hard torpedo-shape in the center of the stearing wheel that would impale you in the chest with a front collision. That was the way that they used to make cars, but in terms of safety, they were not superior to our modern designs. In fact, they were deadly, but we didn't think about it back then. In the past five years I have had two front collisions in a modern car with seat belts, shoulder belts, and air bags. I walked away from both collisions, but I would have been dead or seriously injured if I had been driving my old 56 Chevy. I will restate the idea that I am advocating: just because something has been done for hundreds of years in one way, it doesn't mean that there isn't room for improvement.
Congratulations
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Congratulations »

My hands are not big. But my fingers don't fit a flute with offset holes. The holes just feel so close together, it takes a lot of effort to cover them. Perhaps my brain is broken, but I much prefer inline holes.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Unseen122
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

JackFeeney wrote:So why would any flute player want inline holes on their simple-system flute? They hurt your hands. They slow you down!
What about those who use Piper's Grip? You can't play a Flute with offset holes using Pipers Grip. Although, I do have one Flute where the offset holes actually make the first and second holes painfully far apart. The only reason I haven't sold that Flute is because it is perfect in every other way.
BillG

Post by BillG »

I use Piper's grip on the right hand and it only takes a few seconds mind set change when I play the CBurns ergonomic. I grew up playing fife with no such thing as off-set holes. Inline flutes work just fine and so do off set. Its up to the player to make that simple adjustment. Let your mind and fingers do the work and they will.

BillG
BillG
- - -
<><
Six Ps! (Poor Prior Practice Prevents Proper Performance)
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

JackFeeney wrote: (Just an eighth of an inch can make a HUGE difference...) They hurt your hands. They slow you down!
Hi Jack. This is probably a hijack.

I find that it doesn't so much matter about the finger holes because you can get used to them after a few minutes when you switch.

What I find matters more, for me anyway, is the eight of an inch or so difference in DIAMETER of the flute itself, and the size of the fingerholes themselves. I have noticed it more so lately than I ever did.
Just something to think about.

M

And what about when you switch to an Eb flute, or a Bb? Your fingers have to adjust to that, too.
But at least, there is a choice out there for those who want it.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I find offset holes a wee bit faster.
I'm quicker on the CB flutes, but I
don't care about this a great deal.
Plainly a case of different strokes
for different folks. Better for
having the options.
eskin

Post by eskin »

Another take on this...

I have small hands and play wooden flute using pipers style grip on both hands. Offset holes don't help me enough to allow standard grip and make it nearly impossible to play using piper style grip.
Jumbuk

Post by Jumbuk »

I may as well have my say ...

I have long fingers and can generally play instruments that others find difficult or impossible. However, I can't play a 2.5 shakuhachi with in-line holes, and I don't think anyone (bar Henry the Octopus) can either. So, if someone blessed with delicate hands can avoid severe muscular problems by having the holes rearranged, I think that is a good thing.

The caveat is that people who NEED offset holes (as opposed to those who just prefer them) should probably get their flute made to fit their own hands, not a generic offset arrangement.

PS I have no problem playing my Burns Folk Flute with piper's grip on the RH. I have to adopt this grip so I can reach the flute with my pinky for bracing. So long as you are not skin and bone, there should be enough padding on the inside of the finger joints to cover most hole positions.
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

Inline holes are much friendlier for us lefties too :)
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

This, too, is perhaps not very clear-cut. I'd imagine somebody like Loren or Terry could give their insights into how monkeying about with hole positions changes tone.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Just to add that, when it comes to Bb flutes,
offset holes are indeed a blessing, IMO.