Suggestions for a pipes case?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Baen
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Baen »

Hello all,

at the risk of bringing up a taboo subject (ie, something already covered in the FAQ section), I'm interested in buying a hard case for a half set. I looked in the FAQ, but the posts that cover this topic are several years old, and some of the products are no longer available.

I'm hoping to find a hard case that is fitted, and perhaps even able to be locked. It would be nice if the size was right for airline carry-on luggage. I'd do almost anything rather than use a converted gun case. Would rather go with a case made specifically for pipes, or if not, then go with a case meant for a different instrument.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

thanks,
Baen
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

I think the last chapter was dulcimer cases work great.

http://www.elderly.com/accessories/cats/CSDU.html
Jim McGuire

Re: Suggestions for a pipes case?

Post by Jim McGuire »

Baen wrote:I'd do almost anything rather than use a converted gun case.
No conversion needed with these breakdown shotgun cases - they are ready to go for pipes!
http://www.exploreproducts.com/guardfor ... uncase.htm

A new one on the market:
http://www.exploreproducts.com/adgsport ... uncase.htm

This seller on eBAY also makes custom wood cases:
http://cgi.ebay.com/HAND-CRAFTED-BREAKD ... dZViewItem

One consideration and possible limitation is the size of the bellows and its bellows connector (across the lap to the bag). Some pipemakers use leather; some use a screw-in assembly; some have a solid, permanent connector.
RobBBQ
Tell us something.: Drum maker and music enthusiast who also has a day job. Hoping to learn more about music and instruments on the forum!

Post by RobBBQ »

This one is excellent:

http://www.music123.com/Protec-Standard ... 4977.music

Pro-Tec Viola case. Unbutton the thing, take the wooden shell out, unscrew/unstaple the wooden separators from the inside and you have a cushioned, velvet-lined pipe case that is compact and very sturdy. I got one on the advice of Mr. "P-Dawg" D'arcy for just over $100 and have found it to be stellar. Nice trick to pull on the fiddle players at sessions too...although the gun case might be a good trick of a different sort...well maybe not these days...

Good luck!
Rob
Hans-Joerg
Location: Germany, half an hour west of "Old Brunswick" (Braunschweig < Brunswieck)

Post by Hans-Joerg »

Tony,
on this pipes case thread (can´t find it anymore) you had a pic of a nice light plywood case. Could you repost it?
The problem: Most cases weigh about ten times as much as the set itself but mostly you use it just for carrying the set from the boot into the pub and into the house.
My question: I would like to have another of these nice light (if possible plywood, no plastic/artificial ivory :) ) cases, but shipping from U. S. to Europa is fairly inconvenient (when the customs-blokes read "musical..." they automatically charge taxes). Is there an address in Europe that sells similiar jobs?
Cheers,
Hans
MarcusR
Location: I stay in a place called 'Rooms'... There's a whole chain of them.

Post by MarcusR »

I have been thinking about getting this for my new half set.

Custom made sizes and custom interior to fit your set
and everything else you want to carry with you.

Price is ... hmmm... ehh... rather high ~300 EUR.

/MarcusR
There is no such thing as tailwind -- it's either against you or you're simply having great legs!
djm

Post by djm »

Don't forget to consider the weight of these things and how much travel you may have to do. Lugging a thirty pound pipe case on top of all your other luggage around an airport or train station for several hours can become quite a chore.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

If you are into the whole flightcase-thing, I recommend Andreas Rogge's flight cases:

They are slim, fairly lightweight, and now have considerable padding in them.

Cool spring handles too!

T
billh

Post by billh »

Yes Marcus, that case will be too heavy I bet.

Baen: the notion that you can get commercial uilleann pipe cases that are neither intended for another instrument, nor 'custom', doesn't make sense on examination, since the market is too small. Breakdown shotgun cases happen to be the ideal size, and most do not actually scream "GUN CASE" on the side (though mine does ;-) ). Because the market for shotguns is much bigger than that for uilleann pipes[1], the best values are usually shotgun cases. Rectangular viola cases can work well too, if your set happens to fit, but you will probably end up paying more money for about the same quality case, and you'll have to remove the custom fitted viola cradling parts. Many of the gun cases have just plain old "eggcrate" shaped foam inside, and you can cut it to fit your set exactly. I think that's the most practical solution.

From an aesthetic point of view, there are lots of interesting options in viola cases and gun cases, including those with nylon outer coverings, backpack straps, cases made of real leather with brass fittings, etc., so you really have your pick if you start searching the 'net for gun cases and/or viola cases.

Andreas' flight case looks very much like one of the gun cases commercially available. It's IMO not really strong enough to be a real "flight case", i.e. it's not ATA approved, etc., but it works well as a carry-on case and is indeed a little stronger than the average fiberglass type case. Its weight is sort of intermediate. Believe me, you do NOT want to be carrying an ATA flight case around to gigs or even from your car to the house, those things are bulky and very heavy.

Bill

[1] be that good or bad...
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Kynch O'Kaine may have a couple of good suggestions. Kynchy, baby, you out there buddy?
illwinds

Post by illwinds »

The Pro Tec Viola case mentioned above has shoulder strap rings at either end, and nylon loops where optional backpack straps can be attached.
The conversion for U.P.use is fairly simple, and can be done so that the case could be easily turned back into a viola case.
While on the subject, has anyone tried squeezing a full set, with bellows, into one of the dulcimer cases mentioned?
Mike Hulme
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mike Hulme »

In England Gremlin (Hobgoblin for the USA) used to sell an Uilleann Pipe case for about £100; I don't know whether they still do. Negrini, an Italian case company, make ABS cases for bows. Their economy case, which does not lock, is only £18.99 in the UK. I am sure that they sell in America. The dimensions are adequate for a half-set, with the bellows pipe removed.

I will post a picture of one later; I have not yet cut out the full depth foam insert.

Mike
Mike

“Si fractum non sit, noli id refere”

http://www.uilleannpipesuk.org
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

Baen

Have you thought about about an alto sax case.

I carry my pipes in an alto sax gig bag, and there is lots of room for everything in it (Half set, 2 practice set bags, bellows and assorted chanters) and all you need to do is remove the bottom part of your longest drone for a half set (B in my case) to fit.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
Jim
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Jim »

I use a small metal case designed for "paintball" guns. It fits a half set. I've had no problem taking it on international flights. With a little rearranging it will eventually hold a 3/4 set.
Jim