Car stunt- reverse skid/forward getaway manoeuvre?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
flanum
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Cavan via Dublin, Skerries, Donabate, Ballinagh, Cavan, Ballyconnell, Ballinamore, Athlone, Cavan,

Car stunt- reverse skid/forward getaway manoeuvre?

Post by flanum »

Can anybody do this? You know the one i mean, its always in the movies, when somebody is trying to escape, they launch into a fast reverse then skid round 180 degrees and then all in one move scarper off forward!

I was thinking of trying it this weekend(not on public road of course), ive wanted to do it for ages.

I think it would be:

1.Reverse full speed
2.Full lock/clutch/handbrake together
3.while spinning and clutch still in slip gear into 2nd?
4.release handbrake at about 160 degrees and release clutch and full gas!

Has anybody tried it?
Listen to me young fellow, what need is there for fish to sing when i can roar and bellow?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Planning a getaway?

Just mind the sheep, flanum. :wink:
Last edited by Nanohedron on Thu May 11, 2006 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
jsluder

Re: Car stunt- reverse skid/forward getaway manoeuvre?

Post by jsluder »

flanum wrote:Has anybody tried it?
Only on ice, by accident.
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Montana

Post by Montana »

I think in between 2. and 3. (like a nanosecond after 2.) you have to start cranking the steering wheel so the front end will swing around.
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

having played Car Wars when I was younger (yes, I was a nerd), I know this is called a "Bootleg turn" or "bootlegger reverse", and if you start off going backwards, it's often called a "j-turn"

Wikipedia has a good explanation of the maneuver. It seems you can only do this with a manual transmission (or have a handbrake installed), and that stunt drivers usually have specially equipped vehicles to perform it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bootleg_turn
Neither turn is without risk, as they both have a serious chance of causing the vehicle to roll over and crash or causing serious damage to the vehicle's tires, gearbox or other mechanical elements. There is very high risk of a fatal crash during this maneuver.
(emphasis mine)..heed caution, I say.
Last edited by Wanderer on Thu May 11, 2006 1:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
flanum
Location: Cavan via Dublin, Skerries, Donabate, Ballinagh, Cavan, Ballyconnell, Ballinamore, Athlone, Cavan,

Post by flanum »

Montana wrote:I think in between 2. and 3. (like a nanosecond after 2.) you have to start cranking the steering wheel so the front end will swing around.
Aye, sounds about right!

i was watching the movie Ronin last night and there is a great car chase scene in it.
Its something i just always wanted to be able to do!
Listen to me young fellow, what need is there for fish to sing when i can roar and bellow?
flanum

Post by flanum »

Wanderer wrote:having played Car Wars when I was younger (yes, I was a nerd), I know this is called a "Bootleg turn" or "bootlegger reverse", and if you start off going backwards, it's often called a "j-turn"

Wikipedia has a good explanation of the maneuver. It seems you can only do this with a manual transmission (or have a handbrake installed), and that stunt drivers usually have specially equipped vehicles to perform it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bootleg_turn
Neither turn is without risk, as they both have a serious chance of causing the vehicle to roll over and crash or causing serious damage to the vehicle's tires, gearbox or other mechanical elements. There is very high risk of a fatal crash during this maneuver.
(emphasis mine)..heed caution, I say.
Good advice!
But its actually the moonshine or j turn i want to try:
Contrast this with a similar, and perhaps safer direction-reversing maneuver called a moonshiner's turn, or J-Turn, which begins instead with a stationary automobile accelerating straight backward for a few seconds before the steering wheel is turned quickly to complete a skidded 180 degree turn.
flanum

Post by flanum »

OMG :lol:
Just found this while trying to find a good evasive driving site:
(warning slightly adult)!
http://www.nationallampoon.com/flashbac ... /how2.html

Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Yeah... The Handbrake Turn, we call it around here (UK). (Wikipedia does note it being called that).
The roads are narrower here, so it's more of a regular thing.
Tends to happen in Works car parks with people keen on getting away early, for whatever reason.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Wanderer wrote:It seems you can only do this with a manual transmission (or have a handbrake installed)...
I was watching a Knight Rider repeat, and I noticed K.I.T.T. pulling one
of these. Then they showed the gear shift during the maneuver, and
it turns out that K.I.T.T. is an automatic! Needless to say, I was
heartbroken.
djm

Post by djm »

flanum wrote:I was thinking of trying it this weekend
Why? Are the Provos looking for getaway drivers again? :lol:
flanum wrote:OMG lol
Just found this while trying to find a good evasive driving site:
(warning slightly adult)!
http://www.nationallampoon.com/flashbac ... /how2.html
:lol: Thanks for finding that. There was a time (30 years ago) when National Lampoon was the alpha and omega. Let Dale psychanalyse that! :lol:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Wanderer wrote:having played Car Wars when I was younger
I played Car Wars, Ogre and his "One Page Bulge" was pretty good.

I also had Illuminati but I don't remember much about it.
Last edited by Flyingcursor on Fri May 12, 2006 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
missy

Post by missy »

fearfaoin wrote: I was watching a Knight Rider repeat, and I noticed K.I.T.T. pulling one
heartbroken.
I think we may have discussed this before - but do you know you have to SPECIAL ORDER a stick in a 'Vette? All the ones on the lots are automatic, and the one that you can sit in at the museum is an auto.

Who the heck would get a 'Vette and get an automatic??????? :o
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

fearfaoin wrote:
Wanderer wrote:It seems you can only do this with a manual transmission (or have a handbrake installed)...
I was watching a Knight Rider repeat, and I noticed K.I.T.T. pulling one
heartbroken.
Correctamundo!

you do NOT need a manual transmission to perform a J-Turn.

You don't even need a hand brake, per se, you just need to be a talented dancer! :D

Seriously, tho, what you DO need is an emergency brake that is connected to the rear wheels (which most are, nowadays).
To perform a proper j-turn with an automatic, first establish at least 15MPH or better in reverse (more velocity required for heavier cars, like limos). You need to build enough momentum to pivot the front end of the car around the rear once the rear wheels lock. (you MUST crank the steering wheel all the way to one direction or other just BEFORE locking the rear brakes or you'll lose all your reverse momentum).

I learned how to do a j-turn in a limosine, man you wanna talk about a thrill...

however, flanum, performing this kind of stunt can be considered reckless driving.... caveat driver, if you will....

Now...if you have a high-powered rear-wheel drive vehicle, you can do one of these, only bckwards (or forwards, oh whatever).
Crank your wheel all the way to the right or left, apply slight pressure to the brake (this works best in automatic transmission cars) and floor the accelerator (basically, a power-brake). The rear wheels will lose traction and slip towards the opposite direction as the front wheels are pointing, rotating the car in the direction of the front wheels.
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
flanum

Post by flanum »

Tyler Morris wrote: Seriously, tho, what you DO need is an emergency brake that is connected to the rear wheels

Now...if you have a high-powered rear-wheel drive vehicle, you can do one of these, only bckwards (or forwards, oh whatever).
Crank your wheel all the way to the right or left, apply slight pressure to the brake (this works best in automatic transmission cars) and floor the accelerator (basically, a power-brake). The rear wheels will lose traction and slip towards the opposite direction as the front wheels are pointing, rotating the car in the direction of the front wheels.
how do ABS brakes affect this?
and do you mean a "doughnut" in the last example?